New Optimus V In building! Set-up Tips?

Hi Everybody!

After my old HP laptop killed a second Hard drive I decided to go all out and get myself a new custom laptop, and the Optimus V looked amazing!

It's currently in building, though I only amended my order the other day to increase the size of the SSD and add partitions so it might be there for a could more days (currently in working day 13). Also, sorry to Ben Wilson if he is on here for changing at the last minute, that must of been annoying!

This is the first time I have bought a laptop not from traditional suppliers so I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to set it up for first time use? I remember the hassle in uninstalling bloat-ware with the HP laptop. I imagine there wont be much here but if anyone has any advice please let me know.

Also, I have read about the issues with sound and that the Creative Soundblaster Cinema software helps. Anyone else tried this or have any other tips? I am not too fussed about the tinny nature of the speakers, have been living with crappy HP speakers for long enough!

Here are the specs and thanks in advance! The second hard drive I have spare, the last one that died was in warranty, so its fresh from an RMA.

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
240GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
Partitions:
C:\ 80GB
D:\ 160GB
2nd Hard Drive
500GB WD Scorpio Black (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
Optimus Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Cable
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard Language
OPTIMUS SERIES UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Intel Anti-Theft Technology
FREE 90 Day Intel Anti-Theft Trial - Prevent Data Access upon Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days
Quantity

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Don't worry about the builders they get a task when you change your order.
I would suggest upgrading your Standard Warranty to Silver if you are in the Mainland UK as it cannot be upgraded after it leaves us!

As for setting up the laptop will come pre-installed with the OOB experience ready for you to input your standard windows information and for Windows to steal your soul.

If you use the Laptop for gaming you may need to set the NVidia control panel to always use the 'High Performance Graphics Card' when the laptop is plugged in, or you can change each game individually.

OOB - Out of Box

Thanks MoosEh,

It has actually gone into testing now, hopefully will be finished by the end of today! Praying that it is waiting for dispatch before 1pm, but may be pushing my luck there!

That's good to know, I have a fair few utilities I want to install and its nice not having to worry about HP advisor or wireless manager or any of that rubbish!

Yeah I read about that, i think in your thread actually. Am going to look at how I can configure the card to work best for me.

Thanks for the advice about warranty, but as I am now moving to the Philippines at the end of this month, I reckon I'll be al right!

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
My laptop is on its 15th working day and has been in building for a few days now :/ ordered it on the 25th of june. Was kind of hoping to get it on Thursday but that seems quite unlikely now :/

My laptop is on its 15th working day and has been in building for a few days now :/ ordered it on the 25th of june. Was kind of hoping to get it on Thursday but that seems quite unlikely now :/

don't give up yet! Since writing this post earlier today:

around 11:30 - Entered the testing and configuration phase
14:00 - awaiting dispatch
15:30 - Dispatched!

Mine was in building for 5 working Days (including today) and that is with a change of hard drive halfway through!

As long as you get the testing e-mail early tomorrow you could still get it by Thursday!

So looking forward to getting mine now!

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
How long does delivery usually take? I can't see me getting it on Thursday. Tad annoyed about it taking over 15 working days.

How long does delivery usually take? I can't see me getting it on Thursday. Tad annoyed about it taking over 15 working days.

I've just got a text saying it'll be here tomorrow. It should be the day after you get confirmation it has been dispatched.

The faq says that as long as it is awaiting dispatch before 1pm it should be collected to be delivered the next day but mine wasn't collected till about 4 and still I am expecting it tomorrow.

If all else fails go on the online support and query in case they are waiting on a component or something. At worst you will get an update about how far along the building process it is. I did that when stuck in pre-production and low and behold, 20 mins later I was in building! Just give them a little nudge.

I hope it gets finished for you tomorrow, and if it helps mine was 14 working days!

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
The 5 day average is under 14 days now and mine is on its 16th day and still in building. No emails to say something is out of stock.

The 5 day average is under 14 days now and mine is on its 16th day and still in building. No emails to say something is out of stock.

When you log in and look at your order, on the right it should say 'live support online'

Get on that, have a moan, you might be able to get a rush put on it or something.

Keep me updated, hope it works out by the end of the day.

jacktimson

Silver Level Poster
I tried the live chat but I was waiting for over half an hour so left it.
Would give them a ring but currently in Tunisia, flying home tonight and was kind of hoping it would be at my house by Thursday :/

Got through on live chat and it should be dispatched tomorrow. Slightly disappointed its taken 17 working days. Ordered on the 25th of june

Last edited:
Finally Came!

Have it on a long charge now before turning it on. Is this really necessary? Wouldn't the battery of been used for the installation of the OS?