New Optimus V

Bobby

Hi gang,

So you may have seen me crop up asking questions about my new machine which I'm very grateful for all the advice I received, and now it's arrived! I am a relative newbie to the world of gaming/high end computing so all your advice was very welcome!

My Optimus V arrived Monday 9th Dec, 15 days after order. Yes it's nail bitingly annoying waiting for it to come, but that's by the by when it arrives and you forget you've been waiting that long as soon as you open it up.

I went with the Optimus V mostly down to money. Yes, of course I would have wanted a more powerful machine but everyone has their limits and for what I actually needed and what it offered, it was more than enough for me!

My first impressions opening the well packaged box, was that I love the physical feel. Weighty, matte grey & looking rather mean! (in a manly means business way). Having a good read through all the included literature which was thorough and easy to read, I fired the bad boy up. It booted up quickly and was welcoming me to start adding my personal details. Immediately what struck me the most was the clarity of the screen. A lovely, crisp picture told me I was on a long journey of happiness.

The machine itself had no bad surprises for me! I spend the first hour or so fumbling my way around the machine, exploring all my new features and what they do. I made the choice, having listened to a lot of you experienced lot, to leave everything as it was. I know there are plenty of threads regarding the tweaking of new machines and programs etc, but as it's brand new I felt I didn't need to change anything now. When games start to lag and things fail to open, I will seek further advice!

I installed a total war series game and it recommend I bumped the settings up to high straight away. This is what I wanted and expected. I played about an hours worth of game play and not once did I notice any problems, so all happy on that front!

The FAN, the dreaded FAN of death! It's fine. Came on once in about 3/4 hours of the machine being on, hummed at me a little and turned off. I assume all these people writing about the fan must have faulty fans or something. It's not particularly loud, but remember it's cooling a big old system so it'll have some kick!

All in all, I'm a very happy customer. Nothing negative to report really.

Set up was the standard you'd get with the Optimus - 15", i7 Quad Core 2.4, 8 RAM, SSD, etc etc (you all know what's in it)

Any questions as a new gamer/user just let me know.

Attachments

• Laptop.jpg
    Laptop.jpg
    929.9 KB · Views: 125