New PC Config - Please can I have advise

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If I could only afford the 4GB Radeon RX 570 XT or Radeon RX 5500 XT, with the following:

- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
- Gigabyte B450 AORUS Elite
- 16GB DDR4 (3200MHz) (2x 8GB) RAM

Which GPU would you suggest? I would ideally like to keep my total cost £1,000

I personally wouldn't go down that route for your intended usage. It's a bit of a waste to be honest. If you really must, then I would simply pocket the money and go with the RX570, it's not going to be ideal by any stretch but you seem to be insistent on favouring 16 cores over 12 in a system you are likely to use around 4.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I personally wouldn't go down that route for your intended usage. It's a bit of a waste to be honest. If you really must, then I would simply pocket the money and go with the RX570, it's not going to be ideal by any stretch but you seem to be insistent on favouring 16 cores over 12 in a system you are likely to use around 4.
Have to agree, there’s no reason for a 3700x for your uses, and sacrificing GPU to get the 3700x makes even less sense.

KGtech2

Hi Scott, thanks for your reply.

I have looked a loads of reviews on CPUs, GPUs ect. that has got me a little confused.

I would be fine to get a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and 4GB Radeon RX 570 XT, but thought to get more advanced GPU and CPU to futur proof for a least 3 - 5 years.

Do you think the Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and 4GB Radeon RX 570 XT would be enough to futur proof for at least 3 years?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Hi Scott, thanks for your reply.

I have looked a loads of reviews on CPUs, GPUs ect. that has got me a little confused.

I would be fine to get a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and 4GB Radeon RX 570 XT, but thought to get more advanced GPU and CPU to futur proof for a least 3 - 5 years.

Do you think the Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and 4GB Radeon RX 570 XT would be enough to futur proof for at least 3 years?

The words "Future Proof" are a red herring unfortunately. You cannot plan for a future that you do not know. We have absolutely NO idea what will be required in the next 3-5 years and cannot in any way plan with any certainty.

That all being said, what you can do is give yourself the best opportunity to allow for it. One of the key areas here is platform. It doesn't make any real difference if you go for the 3600 or the 3700X. The 3700X is only superior to the 3600 for intense multi-core/thread usage. When it comes to gaming, they are pretty much neck and neck. Having gone with the AMD platform allows there to be a bright future from the perspective right now, the next generation of chips should simply plug right in.

If the 3700X lasts 5 years.... so will the 3600. I'm not sure if that helps... but there is next to no difference between these CPUs for your usage, in fact I would argue that there is exactly nil.

The difference between the RX570 and the 1660 Super is far more substantial though. The 1660S is far superior and will hugely out-last the 570. Will it last 5 years though? That's very doubtful but as long as you are willing to dial down the settings and stick to 1080p then I would suggest it might. The GPU is almost always the first thing to get upgraded so you should never consider a GPU good for anything other than 2 years. After that time it's fully expected that the requirements for the same level of performance in modern games will go past the ability of the card.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The jump from current GPU’s to the next release in a couple of months is set to be absolutely massive, we’re talking roughly 40% gains from what we’re hearing (usually it’s about %20).

buying an overpowered GPU now is a really bad idea because it will be obsolete in a few months. The money you save on wasting on a gpu you won’t use now can be far more usefully be put to an upgrade (which you’ll have to do anyway) in a few years.

when it comes to GPU, there is no such thing as future proofing.

Build the best platform possible for your usage scenario and then match a gpu to the monitor.

KGtech2

Thanks Scott and Spydertracks for your honest and swift reply.

So from what you are saying, based on my usage (mostly workstation and light game play) I would be better off and save mone on both CPU and GPU. Therefore, go for the CPU = Ryzen 5 3600 and GPU = 4GB Radeon RX 570 XT ?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Thanks Scott and Spydertracks for your honest and swift reply.

So from what you are saying, based on my usage (mostly workstation and light game play) I would be better off and save mone on both CPU and GPU. Therefore, go for the CPU = Ryzen 5 3600 and GPU = 4GB Radeon RX 570 XT ?

If it's light gaming at 1080p then yes....definitely.

The more poignant point is that if you were to consider speccing up anything.... it would be the GPU over the CPU. The CPU has you more than covered.