New PC feels like the GPU is overheating

Hi,

Recently ordered a new PC and when playing world of warcraft according the ICUE dashboard the temps on the GPU are 80.34c and 69.50c with both fans running around 2400rpm. Now is this normal ? or should I be worried ?

PC Specs :

LIAN LI LANCOOL 215 GAMING CASE
(CPU) AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D Eight Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.5GHz/100MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard ASUS® CROSSHAIR VIII HERO WIFI (DDR4, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM) 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st Storage Drive NOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive 1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe
2nd M.2 SSD Drive 2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe
Power Supply CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIESTM MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Display RGB CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

Recently ordered a new PC and when playing world of warcraft according the ICUE dashboard the temps on the GPU are 80.34c and 69.50c with both fans running around 2400rpm. Now is this normal ? or should I be worried ?

PC Specs :

LIAN LI LANCOOL 215 GAMING CASE
(CPU) AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D Eight Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.5GHz/100MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard ASUS® CROSSHAIR VIII HERO WIFI (DDR4, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM) 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st Storage Drive NOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive 1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe
2nd M.2 SSD Drive 2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe
Power Supply CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIESTM MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Display RGB CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
That's entirely normal. It's generally up to 83 is the target temperature.

You can adjust the fan curves to get better performance or quieter fan curves depending on your requirements some something like MSI Afterburner

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Undervolting the GPU would also help lower temps as well. For fan curves you want to aim for ~60% rpm speed from an acoustic level but still keep GPU below the point of thermal throttling.

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
As far as I'm aware, most (if not all) GPU's have a standard thermal threshold of 83c. If you're currently below that without 100% fan usage, I'd say the GPU is performing reasonably well. However, if you're as concerned about temperatures as I am, you could set yourself a fairly aggressive (high fan speed) fan curve in MSI Afterburner.
https://www.msi.com/Landing/afterburner/graphics-cards

1. Open MSI Afterburner
  2. Click the cog icon to the left side (settings)
  3. Click the fan tab
  4. Click the dots and push the delete key
  5. Grab one of the dots and push it to a desired fan speed vs. GPU temperature (for example 40% fan speed and 30c)
  6. Grab the line to create another dot for a higher fan speed at a higher GPU temperature (for example 80% fan speed at 60c)
  7. Click apply
  8. At the bottom-right of the home page, click "fan sync" so all your GPU fans follow the same curves you've applied
  9. On the Afterburner home page, click the Windows icon at the top right to launch Afterburner when logging in to Windows

leea123

Enthusiast
for me, the under volt route is what I would go with also make sure you just not let the GPU pump out more frames than your monitor can display, I have a 100hz monitor and I set the fps limit to 97 in the Nvidia control panel, so combine that with a little under volt and my GPU is very very quiet, the temp of around 75-78c max with fan speed no more than 65 percent.

For example, if you got a 60hz monitor and your gpu is pushing out 200 fps, then it is working hard, so will generate more heat and noise, and you can limit it to your monitor refresh rate.

But if you have for example a 144 Hz monitor and you need the GPU to push frames out, then the under volt would be a good idea to help, even if you lost a few fps

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
also make sure you just not let the GPU pump out more frames than your monitor can display, I have a 100hz monitor and I set the fps limit to 97 in the Nvidia control panel,
Freesync / Gsync would do this anyway and is on most modern monitors.

leea123

Enthusiast
Freesync / Gsync would do this anyway and is on most modern monitors.
only if you have it set up correctly, there are settings you need to turn on, especially restricting the frame rate to minus 3 below your refresh rate in Nvidia settings to get it to work best. There was nothing in the post to say what monitor was being used

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
only if you have it set up correctly, there are settings you need to turn on, especially restricting the frame rate to minus 3 below your refresh rate in Nvidia settings to get it to work best. There was nothing in the post to say what monitor was being used
Agreed, my point is just that if it's an adaptive sync monitor,that will do all of that automatically.

If you were to make those adjustments on an adaptive sync monitor it would break adaptive sync which you don't want as that would provide a far smoother gaming experience with less tearing.