New PC for gaming, websites & crypto

Speedy1

Hi everyone, thanks for looking at my post,

I'm buying a pc to primarily use for website design & gaming & using it to format and process videos.

I have onboard motor racing videos I want to process via the pc. They are in Digital8 format currently & I want to burn to dvd & usb. I'm also into photography so want to process my photos and do editing on the pc.

I am going to build a couple of websites regarding a couple of business ideas I have. I will build these in wordpress & do the development and updating myself.

I want to do gaming on the pc - mainly motorsport - driving around a few tracks.

I also want to mine crypto when the computer is not in use.

The spec I've chosen is below, any ideas on things that I should change or consider in the build. I can go 2.5k gbp to 3k gbp.

Case: FRACTAL DEFINE 7 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU): AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard: ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM): 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card: 12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 Ti - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive: 4TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5400RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive: 1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2500MB/sW) (Special Offer)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader: USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power Supply: CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable: 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling: Corsair H100x Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste: ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card: 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card: WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options: MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

Bigfoot

Grand Master
The hard drive you have chosen is slow (5400 rpm), you could get 2x2TB Barracudas if you need that much storage, as they are 7200 rpm. The cooler you have chosen is the old version. The H115i Elite Cappellix would be better and you don’t need the Arctic paste. I don’t know if you need the power of the 3080ti for crypto, but for gaming you would need a monster monitor to get any value from it. I don’t think you need it for photo editing either. You could go back a step on the motherboard, as the ROG STRIX is not necessary for the 5800x, but it still benefits from an X570.

Speedy1

Brilliant, thanks Bigfoot, very insightful. I'll definitely switch that hard drive and cooler & re-evaluate the other spec re: the other mods. I'm going to consider going up to a 5900X & that would align better to the motherboard by the sounds of it.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Brilliant, thanks Bigfoot, very insightful. I'll definitely switch that hard drive and cooler & re-evaluate the other spec re: the other mods. I'm going to consider going up to a 5900X & that would align better to the motherboard by the sounds of it.
I have the 5900x in my build, which is primarily for photo editing and this is paired with a 3060TI. I went with a 500GB Samsung 980 Pro for OS and programmes and a 1TB m.2 for my Lightroom catalogues (I went over the top and got another Samsung 980). I also went for 2x2TB Barracudas. I don’t game or do crypto, so my needs are a bit different to yours.

Speedy1

Thanks Bigfoot for the background on what you use your build for. I am hesitating at dropping so much on a 3080ti, as crypto mining is most probably going to reduce in the future & I've heard that the 3080ti is not that much better than the 3080 to justify the cost. The problem appears to be that people are flogging 3080's for alot in the second hand market! I will make the mods on the drives, I think as it makes total sense. I tend to buy high end then use it for like 5-10 years rather than upgrading all the time. I do appreciate though that many people are on a budget and can't do that. I've not bought kit for a while so this computer will save me time on doing work & it's the right time for me to develop my business ideas & do some gaming & really use its potential.

Speedy1

I'm in pre-production, yesssssss! Decided to wait for the RTX3080. My bank account will like me for it! Spec below. Correct me if I've messed up somewhere please!

Any ideas on a monitor that will do this build justice?

Case FRACTAL DEFINE 7 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
2nd Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card ReaderUSB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power SupplyCORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language

Speedy1

Yeh spot on. It's limited hash rate, so it will still work but not to full potential. All the new cards are pretty much LHR now & the crypto's are moving from proof of work to proof of stake. I think it only 10% of my buying decision so I'm not that fussed.