New PC for MSFS, DCS and Houdini FX

Dam0

I'd ordered the below and after reading a few comments on this forum amended the order to upgrade the PSU and cooling already.

I use my PC everyday for work, gaming (MSFS/DCS) and some hobby modeling / FX work with Houdini and Nuke. I'll be taking the GFX card from my old PC and transferring a few extra SSDs too.

Comments welcome, it's still in pre-prod.

Case
CORSAIR 4000D AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CAS
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 16-Core Processor i9-12900K (3.2GHz) 30MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 (LGA1700, USB 3.2, PCIe 5.0) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz
Graphics Card
NONE, I ALREADY HAVE A GRAPHICS CARD (Will be fitting a RTX 2080ti from my current PC)
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2500MB/sW)
External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x Slim USB 2.0 External DVD-RW
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Looks great. My only question would be about storage: what other storage devices will you be adding? There might be a way of doing this more efficiently...

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
As above, I don't think 1-1-1 is a particularly good shout.

I would opt for:

500GB 980 Pro for a primary
2TB Intel 670p for games & fast storage

Your other SSDs would do fine for the mass storage and/or cache.

I wouldn't go higher than 500gb for the primary as you don't want to over-use this drive. It keeps it running full chat and also makes it easy to reset when you want/need to.

Dam0

Thanks guys,

I'd be putting in an additional 2 x 1TB SSDs and a single 1TB mechanical HDD also.

As a preference, I tend to segmentation off entire drives depending on the purpose. OS / Games / Programs / Caches / Footage Storage all goes on to different drives.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Thanks guys,

I'd be putting in an additional 2 x 1TB SSDs and a single 1TB mechanical HDD also.

As a preference, I tend to segmentation off entire drives depending on the purpose. OS / Games / Programs / Caches / Footage Storage all goes on to different drives.

To a certain extent I'm the same. I always have my programs & OS on the same drive right enough. However, all that said I always limit myself on the primary OS drive. Going OTT just makes it a pain when it comes time for a format.

Backing up 100GB is much easier than backing up 400GB :D