New PC GPU problem.

Marti

I received my new PCS desktop on Saturday, but I'm experiencing problems with the display output.

Occasionally during boot up, the motherboard will sound a long beep followed by three short beeps and then the monitor will show 'no signal'. Every time this happens, the display is restored once windows has finished booting up.

I've double checked to make sure that the GPU (GTX 1050ti) is seated correctly in the PCI slot, which it is. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what may be causing this?

Many thanks,

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 200R COMPACT GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-9500 (3.0GHz) 9MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF H310M-PLUS GAMING: Micro-ATX, DDR4, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NONE, I ALREADY HAVE A GRAPHICS CARD
1st Storage Drive
480GB ADATA SU630 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 450MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
One long and 3 short is definitely GPU issue. If it isn't a seating issue and the additional power cables are seated satisfactorily then it points to the GPU or the Motherboard being potentially faulty.

Marti

Mmmm. Why would this only happen when the PC is booting up and initialising the BIOS? As soon as windows loads, the display comes back on! Would updating the drivers for the GPU make any difference?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The long beep and 3 short beeps is a GPU notification... indicating a GPU error.

I don't know of any legitimate reasons why you would get such a notification.

Out of curiosity, how are you connected to the GPU? HDMI or DP? What are you connected to... monitor, or TV? Could you switch from say DP to HDMI or TV to monitor? If the error is consistent I would definitely RMA.

Marti

OK, so after a little more testing I've discovered that the problem only occurs after power has been removed from the PC. ie, after shut-down, when the mains power is switched off at the socket. The first boot up after power on will trigger the beeps, but subsequent boot ups will be normal provided that power is maintained to the PC after shut-down.

The connection is via DP to a Benq monitor.

Regards,

Martin

Marti

After looking again, I think I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion. While the issue occurs after AC power has been removed, it appears to be related to when the monitor is no longer in standby mode. Is it normal for the motherboard to to post error beeps when there is no VGA connection detected? If so, maybe there's nothing wrong after all?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
After looking again, I think I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion. While the issue occurs after AC power has been removed, it appears to be related to when the monitor is no longer in standby mode. Is it normal for the motherboard to to post error beeps when there is no VGA connection detected? If so, maybe there's nothing wrong after all?
We had the same issue with another user. Exactly the same. The workaround was to just leave the monitor in sleep mode. It would point towards something amiss with the Motherboard as it shouldn’t require the monitor to be powered for a signal detection.

I would have thought it’s something motherboard related, probably BIOS.

dalais

I feel your pain, it dose not help them i am a noob at all this. but i bought two PCS and both are dead :(

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I feel your pain, it dose not help them i am a noob at all this. but i bought two PCS and both are dead :(
If you post your issues we may be able to help. It’s unlikely they’re “dead”. Custom computers and laptops are not the same as off the shelf, you need to know how to configure drivers and windows. If you need help then ask.

paul1224

That's the one.... I was hoping it was the same motherboard, but not.... I wonder if they share some underlying BIOS basics though.

Looking at each manual they do seem very similar so would have guessed the same BIOS basics but unfortunately neither manual (unlike some others) clarifies the BIOS beep codes. Hopefully OP is able to run the scenario via PCS or ASUS for clarification.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Looking at each manual they do seem very similar so would have guessed the same BIOS basics but unfortunately neither manual (unlike some others) clarifies the BIOS beep codes. Hopefully OP is able to run the scenario via PCS or ASUS for clarification.
What make of BIOS is it? Enter the msinfo32 command in the Run box, the front page shows the BIOS vendor and version. Most common BIOS beep codes are here https://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm.

For American Megatrends Inc (AMI) BIOS, which both my PCS computers use, one long and 3 short indicates a memory error. Memtest86 might a a good next test?

RichH

Gold Level Poster
Dalais - if you check your thread, you missed out any info on the fault(s) etc.

I have found people on here are extraordinarily helpful - but possibly not psychic (although some do come close !)