New PC mouse keeps disconnecting while gaming

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm thinking now that your problem is deeper than the keyboard and mouse symptoms that you're seeing. Those three BSODs are all for very different reasons, sadly you only have minidumps and they only contain the basic memory areas so it's not possible to go very deep in any of them.

One is a classic IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL caused because a thread running in kernel mode took a page fault, this is almost always a faulty driver but there's not enough information to locate the driver. What is interesting from the stack trace is that the Dispatcher was looking for a new thread to dispatch immediately before the page fault. It is inconceivable that there is a bug in the dispatcher code which means it could be a RAM error (and it wasn't that the page wasn't in RAM it was that the RAM page couldn't be read?).

Another is a KERNEL_LOCK_ENTRY_LEAKED_ON_THREAD_TERMINATION, which I've never seen before. It's caused by a thread terminating before releasing all the locks it was holding. The stack trace shows that it was a tcpip driver that was processing but (again) just before the bug check the kernel was running the 'CleanupThreadState' code. Again, it's inconceivable that this kernel code is buggy so it's again possibly this was a RAM error?

The third is a SYSETM_SERVICE_EXCCEPTION, the stack trace here shows (as expected) the system service handler running immediately before the bug check. The error code (0xC0000005) indicates a failed attempt to reference memory which directly points at RAM of course. There is also a failure to load the WDFilter.sys driver, which is part of Windows Defender, but I think that's more likely to be a symptom than a cause.

I'm now wondering whether you have flaky RAM? I'd suggest you download Memtest, run the tool extracted from the downloaded archive to make a bootable USB stick containing Memtest (1GB is plenty big enough). Then boot that USB stick, don't touch the keyboard or mouse and Memtest will start running. This free version only does 4 iterations of the 14 tests but that's enough to find most issues. On your 16GB of RAM it will take a long time to complete, so leave it running overnight.

If Memtest reports even a single error then remove one stick of RAM and re-run Memtest on each stick at a time.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
I'm thinking now that your problem is deeper than the keyboard and mouse symptoms that you're seeing. Those three BSODs are all for very different reasons, sadly you only have minidumps and they only contain the basic memory areas so it's not possible to go very deep in any of them.

One is a classic IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL caused because a thread running in kernel mode took a page fault, this is almost always a faulty driver but there's not enough information to locate the driver. What is interesting from the stack trace is that the Dispatcher was looking for a new thread to dispatch immediately before the page fault. It is inconceivable that there is a bug in the dispatcher code which means it could be a RAM error (and it wasn't that the page wasn't in RAM it was that the RAM page couldn't be read?).

Another is a KERNEL_LOCK_ENTRY_LEAKED_ON_THREAD_TERMINATION, which I've never seen before. It's caused by a thread terminating before releasing all the locks it was holding. The stack trace shows that it was a tcpip driver that was processing but (again) just before the bug check the kernel was running the 'CleanupThreadState' code. Again, it's inconceivable that this kernel code is buggy so it's again possibly this was a RAM error?

The third is a SYSETM_SERVICE_EXCCEPTION, the stack trace here shows (as expected) the system service handler running immediately before the bug check. The error code (0xC0000005) indicates a failed attempt to reference memory which directly points at RAM of course. There is also a failure to load the WDFilter.sys driver, which is part of Windows Defender, but I think that's more likely to be a symptom than a cause.

I'm now wondering whether you have flaky RAM? I'd suggest you download Memtest, run the tool extracted from the downloaded archive to make a bootable USB stick containing Memtest (1GB is plenty big enough). Then boot that USB stick, don't touch the keyboard or mouse and Memtest will start running. This free version only does 4 iterations of the 14 tests but that's enough to find most issues. On your 16GB of RAM it will take a long time to complete, so leave it running overnight.

If Memtest reports even a single error then remove one stick of RAM and re-run Memtest on each stick at a time.
No problem I’ll give that a go. If it come back with an error on one of the RAM sticks what will have to be done?

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
PCS will ship you replacements. :)
If both came back clean do you suspect a hardware issue or is there anything else I could try before getting in contact with PCS as I know it could be at least a month for it to be repaired so that’s a last resort. Will run the memtest first though to see results

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If both came back clean do you suspect a hardware issue or is there anything else I could try before getting in contact with PCS as I know it could be at least a month for it to be repaired so that’s a last resort. Will run the memtest first though to see results
If the RAM tests clean I would suggest a fully clean reinstall of Windows so you can be certain you have a stable OS platform.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
If the RAM tests clean I would suggest a fully clean reinstall of Windows so you can be certain you have a stable OS platform.
Hi all tests retuned with no errors so assume reinstall is the only option. Can this just be done from the reset this pc part of recovery?