New PC. New to forums. General newbie.

Jaystar

Hey guys!

Just to start off I'd like to say a big thank-you to the PCS Staff; James Nisbet, Zbear Ramzan, James Dransfield, Jack Turner and Mustafa Ramzan for what part you had in the customer service, creation and delivery of my new toy.

This is my very first 'proper' PC. I have always gone for high-ish spec laptops which were adequate for what I was using but would now like the option to expand and get a bit more 'involved'.

All in all, the total time from order to delivery was 15 days (11 days build time in total) - and that was with me upgrading the parts or swapping around before the build :rolleyes: although it didn't take long at all, the wait seemed forever.

It's everything that I envisioned, a thing of beauty. Although the HAF-X is not the best-looking case ever built; for what it lack aesthetically, it sure makes up in lots of room for future expansion, excellent airflow, good cable management, Perspex viewing window to see all the components and overall build quality. And yes I'm extremely pleased with my purchase.

To make it clear this is the first forum I have ever joined and my first ever post I have ever created so please bear with me if babble on or don't know how to do something! :stupid: Anyway, I hope that other users will share their knowledge and experiences with me and offer assistance and advice when I need it!

Many thanks,

JayStar.

Case
Coolmaster HAF-X Gaming Tower Case
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-4930K (3.4GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® X79 DELUXE: INTEL® SOCKET LG2011, WIFI
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB KIT)
Graphics Card
3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk
3TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ MODULAR TXM-850 V2-80 PLUS®
Processor Cooling
Corsair H60 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 2 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
DVD Recovery Media
NO DVD RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard & Mouse
PCS S300 USB MEDIA KEYBOARD
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 11 working days
Miscellaneous
FREE ASSASSINS CREED BLACK FLAG with GTX 660 & 7 Series GPUs!
Quantity

Stephen M

Author Level
Good looking rig, I am still wondering whether to get a PC or a new laptop. Just being nosey here, what operating system are you going to use?

Jaystar

Good looking rig, I am still wondering whether to get a PC or a new laptop. Just being nosey here, what operating system are you going to use?

I'm still on Windows 7 Ultimate. I have tried Windows 8, but it's not for me. I haven't tried Linux and I'm not a fan of Mac OS either.

What are you looking to do with your new build? Gaming, video editing, general use? Do you need it to be portable? I found that I didn't need a laptop as I use my Ipad for general web surfing. Everything else is on my new baby :)

Stephen M

Author Level
Good idea Keynes, that would be my preference, now if you would be good enough to supply the winning Lotto numbers for next week :)

Jaystar, I want to start making some music again and will be using Ardour and a few other musical based progs. I am not a gamer at the moment and don't think that will change - I don't dislike gaming just have never got into it. I may play around with some videos, adding music tracks to sports footage. The stuff i am doing now is mainly net surfing and general office work plus putting a newsletter together for my football club.
At the moment I am leaning towards a PC as I can get a lot more memory and speed for the price, which will be handy with the music and videos. However, I do change my mind a lot so until an order actually goes in nothing is certain.

Jaystar

I see. Well yeah, if you don't need the portability then go with a desktop. Like you said, you can get a lot more for your money, more customisation and you can upgrade the components when it's needed and affordable :)