New Pc now or wait for ivy bridge

Shui_ip

Hi all

Just a quick question really, I could buy the 2600/2700 I7 now with a 680Gtx now which I know should be good enough for a few years. But I am aware the ivy bridge is around the corner with the price in the CPU being what the 2700 costs now.

From reading it says the 3770 may be 15% faster but does that really matter as wouldn't the GPU do most of the work?

Should I wait till the end of April or just buy one now?

My main purpose is to play diablo 3 which may be a tad overkill and this comes out in May and also future games.

Corfate

Author Level
Thing is, the longer you wait, the more new stuff comes out :p

If it's just for gaming that you want to use it for, go for the PC now, you'll see no real difference between the two :)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
If it was me i would wait if possible. Normaly i would also say "no point waiting as something else will come out a month later you will have to wait for after that" This time i think it's different, it would be worth waiting in my opinion, we are in the middle of the launch of the last of the GPU's, the next generation of PCI is well and truly launched. To me it would make sense to hold back for a little while longer if your intending buying a top line system. The CPU is a pain in the ass to change out, for little performance gain even if you do manage to get a higher performing CPU that fits your motherboard. If it really is 15%, i have not looked at any benchmarks myself, then that would seem worth waiting for, that way you can pop in an upgraded GPU setup later on and still play the most demanding games even if they are a little more CPU hungry.

Just my opinion obviously and i'm sure others will not agree with it, but i think i can live with it :)

Shui_ip

Hi Manta

Thats what I was thinking. I will probably wait until the end of the month and see what happens. If there is another delay I will probably take the plunge. If not hopefully I will get the 3770 chip.