New PC plus what case?

Corvagh

Hello,
Over the last week I have checked out the PCS site and the forums and have come to the conclusion this is certainly the place to purchase a new PC.

The PC is actually for my daughter who will be paying :yes: She wanted me to sort it all out and make sure nothing was left out.
We have worked out the specs for the PC as listed below, the only thing we are stuck on is the case. She has her heart on a white one, so there are 4 to choose from with only a £20 difference in the price. We checked out the reviews on YouTube for them and well still stuck. The Corsair Corbide Series 500R White case is the one that is most favourable but if any of you guys think a different one would be better for cooling or just overall looks please say.

She has been warned about a possible longer wait because of the GTX 680 being out of stock, that is not a problem. Also is there much difference between the SSD hard disks, we have gone for the 120G Intel 520 series.

The PC will be for gaming, mainly Second Life which is pretty CPU intensive (So I've heard) and for Photoshop/Gimp.
I understand the i7 CPU might be a bit more than what's needed but she has the money put aside and is happy to purchase that 1.

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 500R WHITE MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3770 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z77-V: PCI-E 3.0 READY, WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
750GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD7502AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£69)
Processor Cooling
SPIRE THERMAX ECLIPSE II UNIVERSAL DT EXTREME CPU COOLER (£39)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables
1 x 2 METRE GOLD PLATED V1.4 HDMI CABLE (£8)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,462.00 including VAT and delivery.

Thank you.

Corfate

Author Level
Spec looks spot on to me :) Though for gaming and photoshop, an i5 3550 will be perfect :) You could use the money saved from dropping the CPU to bump up the PSU to a 850W, allowing you to SLI another 680 further down the line :) (Consider the modular one for better cable mangement, though it is more expensive. Think it's the HX850W off the top of my head)

The 500R is an excellent case, with plenty of spaces for more fans, great airflow, good cable mangement and it's pretty too, which always helps :p

Also, you may want to bump up the RAM to the Kingston Hyper-X. You won't see any advantage from the 1333mhz to the 1600mhz, the RAM purely looks nicer (i'll attach an image below, would look better on the mobo too)

pomnilnik_kingston_ddr3_8gb_hyper_x_genesis_kit_khx1600c9d3k2_8gx.jpg

Narcotics

Rising Star
Change the Processor Cooling to SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER as you have a i7-3770 over than that it's a beast & that case is sick.

Narcotics

Rising Star
I suppose it does look the part to i was just thinking as he dose not have a K processor and is not thinking of overclocking he could save some money. Thinking now i would get that SPIRE THERMAX
849_Spire_TherMax_Eclipse_II_01.jpg

Corvagh

Ok thanks guys :) So the memory has been changed, the PSU to 850, the CPU cooler, but not the i7. Will it cause any problems having the i7 over the i5? The money is not a problem, she just wants the best, lol. The Cosair Carbide case it will be, it does look very nice and she is pleased that others think its a good 1 :)

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 500R WHITE MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3770 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z77-V: PCI-E 3.0 READY, WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
750GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD7502AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX850 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£99)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables
1 x 2 METRE GOLD PLATED V1.4 HDMI CABLE (£8)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,489.00 including VAT and delivery.

Do you think she will have it within a month if ordered tomorrow or Tuesday. She is patient and has a working PC still but not with all the bells and whistles like the one above will have.

Thank you.

Corvagh

Ok will get the Spire Thermax back on the list. I did read the thread about it being a good 1 a day ago.

Rakk

The Awesome
Will it cause any problems having the i7 over the i5?
Nope, wont cause any issues at all, would've just saved a bit of money if necessary :)

Do you think she will have it within a month if ordered tomorrow or Tuesday.
She should have it within a month, for desktops currently 99.44% are dispatched within 28 days, though I know that the 680 is in high demand at the moment and that will probably be the most likely thing to slow it down.

Corvagh

Brilliant, thank you all for your help. Will be ordering over the weekend if she gets her ass out of bed to sort her funds out.