New PC setup

Hi All,
Just want a little bit of advice please. As Im a long running Mac user I've little knowledge of the windows platform.
Just bought my first PC which will solely be used for gaming. Ive already downloaded Steam and GOG with GOG Galaxy. (No games purchased yet)
What settings do I need to change in Windows 10. Is there an already published guide at all.
Ive got an official wireless Xbox One controller, how do I set this up.
Im also just about to purchase a set of wireless headphones and so need help setting these up.
Is there anything else I should be doing or need to know.
Thanks very much in advance
Regards
Steve

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
For the xbox controller check here:

There are no settings you need to change in Windows, it's all ready to go.

Wireless headphones will come with an adapter to plug into the PC, there's no particular setup, you may need to install drivers but the manual will tell you all that.

You'll need to adjust graphics settings based on your configuration, but that's something you'll need to discover for yourself, but to get you started:

Regarding GOG, I'd hugely recommend their new Beta platform, you can link it to most games clients libraries so you just access them all from the GOG hub:

For the xbox controller check here:

There are no settings you need to change in Windows, it's all ready to go.

Wireless headphones will come with an adapter to plug into the PC, there's no particular setup, you may need to install drivers but the manual will tell you all that.

You'll need to adjust graphics settings based on your configuration, but that's something you'll need to discover for yourself, but to get you started:

Regarding GOG, I'd hugely recommend their new Beta platform, you can link it to most games clients libraries so you just access them all from the GOG hub:

Hi Spydertracks.
Thanks very much for that appreciated.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi Spydertracks.
Thanks very much for that appreciated.
If you have any troubles, do post on here, we’re pretty good at finding fixes and happy to help out where we can.

once you get used to the different approaches between mac and PC, you’ll find pretty much everything underneath is exactly the same, it’s just how you initially go about things and the layout that’s a little different.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
What settings do I need to change in Windows 10. Is there an already published guide at all.
None really

Most of the time, default settings are fine. If you get low performance in a game, you may end up changing power plan settings for Windows or the graphics card to stop them trying to conserve power when running a game, but in general you leave Windows alone and it just does its thing.

You'll tweak the graphics settings within each game until you get your preferred balance of visual fidelity versus performance. Some settings like shadows, view distance, grass, and environment detail can be particularly demanding in some games.

Since you've got Steam and GOG, you could also get Epic:
As they give away a free game every week - this week it's 3 games as it happens.

You don't even need the game client to acquire the games, you can just make an account on their website and add the games to your account.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Also, Microsoft are currently doing an offer of their game pass (subscription service, like Netflix but for games) with £1 for 3 months' access.

A great way to try out titles and see if you like them. You can then buy them on the Microsoft Store, or any other platform you like (e.g. many are also on Steam)

Also there's a free month of EA Origin access which is EA's version of the same. And apparently 6 months of Spotify Premium as well. Bundled into the £1 offer.

Last edited: