New PC spec...

TremF

Bronze Level Poster
Hi there. I'm almost finished deciding the spec for my new PC. I have an MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming 3G going in with another potentially down the line - hence the beefy PSU. It will be used mostly for gaming but I do some hefty audio and video editing from time to time hence the beefy CPU and RAM.

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ AIR 540 GAMING CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Six Core i7-4930K (3.4GHz @ max 4.4GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION: INTEL X79, SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
Memory (RAM)
32GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (4 x 8GB KIT)
Graphics Card
NONE, I ALREADY HAVE A GRAPHICS CARD
1st Hard Disk
240GB ASUS® RAIDR Express PCIe SSD (upto 830MB/sR | 810MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
3rd Hard Disk
1TB SEAGATE ST1000DX001 1TB/8GB SSHD 64MB HYBRID DRIVE
4th Hard Disk
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1200W PRO SERIES™ PLATINUM AX1200i DIGITAL MODULAR PSU
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 8.1 (64-bit) Professional DVD with paper sleeve

I have been told I will receive any cables/driver discs/extras that come with the hardware but am a little worried still. Can anyone that's purchased confirm you receive everything? I'll need the modular cables to connect my graphics card and the motherboard comes with a sexy overclocking controller :)

Anyway I am 99% decided on this spec. Just gathering info from reviews and comments before hitting the red button :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The motherboard is overkill for your intended use. Unless you are professional overclocker or planning to add 3 more GPUs you could save some money or save for a 2nd gtx 780 ti :)

TremF

Bronze Level Poster
Topher - Thanks for the re-assurance :)

The motherboard is overkill for your intended use. Unless you are professional overclocker or planning to add 3 more GPUs you could save some money or save for a 2nd gtx 780 ti :)

I did look at the lower boards but love to play and love the look and features of the shiny new Rampage including the overclocking command centre. :)

Edit: I forgot to add that some of the cost of this is being covered by the sale of my current PC.

Topher

Bronze Level Poster
No worries. The PSU I got from PCS is fully modular and all the extra cables were in there for me as well as adapters etc..

So I see no reason why your PC would be any different :)

TremF

Bronze Level Poster
No worries. The PSU I got from PCS is fully modular and all the extra cables were in there for me as well as adapters etc..

So I see no reason why your PC would be any different :)

Thanks again. I feel much more confident about the purchase. I think I am set on the spec above so need to click the buy button soon before I am tempted to add more to it :)

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Hi there. I'm almost finished deciding the spec for my new PC. I have an MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming 3G going in with another potentially down the line - hence the beefy PSU. It will be used mostly for gaming but I do some hefty audio and video editing from time to time hence the beefy CPU and RAM.

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ AIR 540 GAMING CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Six Core i7-4930K (3.4GHz @ max 4.4GHz) Do you really need a six core i7? For gaming a standard i7 would be great anyway
Motherboard
ASUS® RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION: INTEL X79, SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
Memory (RAM)
32GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (4 x 8GB KIT) 16gb should be fine for video editing and gaming? Correct me if I'm wrong though, i'm not into any editing :)
Graphics Card
NONE, I ALREADY HAVE A GRAPHICS CARD
1st Hard Disk
240GB ASUS® RAIDR Express PCIe SSD (upto 830MB/sR | 810MB/sW) Why two seperate SSDs, one of which is a PCIe and one a SATA? Surely it'd be best just to get one larger SSD?
2nd Hard Disk
500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
3rd Hard Disk
1TB SEAGATE ST1000DX001 1TB/8GB SSHD 64MB HYBRID DRIVE Go for the caviar black drives instead of the hybrid drives, since you've already got an SSD in there
4th Hard Disk
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1200W PRO SERIES™ PLATINUM AX1200i DIGITAL MODULAR PSU
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 8.1 (64-bit) Professional DVD with paper sleeve

I have been told I will receive any cables/driver discs/extras that come with the hardware but am a little worried still. Can anyone that's purchased confirm you receive everything? I'll need the modular cables to connect my graphics card and the motherboard comes with a sexy overclocking controller :)

Anyway I am 99% decided on this spec. Just gathering info from reviews and comments before hitting the red button :)

Hope this helps :)

TremF

Bronze Level Poster
Hope this helps :)

Thank you for your feedback GeorgeHillier. I really appreciate it :)

"Do you really need a six core i7? For gaming a standard i7 would be great anyway"
More games are starting to take advantage of multiple cores - Watch Dogs is due soon! :) Plus with the video editing the 6 core i7 will zip through rendering etc

"16gb should be fine for video editing and gaming? Correct me if I'm wrong though, i'm not into any editing"
From what I read the PCIe SSD can take advantage of spare ram for a ram disk to help make it run even faster. I am hoping this is right. Also you can assign more ram to video editing apps like Sony Vegas which can help.

"Why two seperate SSDs, one of which is a PCIe and one a SATA? Surely it'd be best just to get one larger SSD?"
The PCIe SSD only goes upto 240GB and will be for the OS. The extra ssd is to install games to. Also, even though it's unlikely in the time I will have the PC/parts, I'm hoping the OS SSD will last longer if a different one is used for accessing games and vice verca.

"Go for the caviar black drives instead of the hybrid drives, since you've already got an SSD in there"
I admit the 2 hybrid drives are overkill but I'm hoping less noise, more speed and longer life if I do end up using them for a while. 1 will be overspill for games and for storing videos I edit. The other as backup

The main reason I posted really was for re-assurance I'd receive all the extras. I have tried to lower the spec slightly on the motherboard, ram and hard drives but only end up going higher lol The only change I made to lower the original build I chose was to take the 780Ti off and order the MSI Gaming edition from elsewhere cheaper - this only tempted me to upgrade the hdd's lol.

Anyway I bit the bullet and made the purchase. I now look forward to receiving my new beast. It's just a shame it won't be before Watch Dogs is released but at least i will be able to compare the two. Currently I have an i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz, Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB Corsair Vengeance ram, 240GB ssd, 1TB WD Caviar Black, Sound Blaster Omni, Blu Ray combo and a GTX 780. The reason for upgrade is so I can help my brother out with a decent gaming pc. :)

A314159

Super Star
Get the caviar blacks, trust him.
The OS only needs about 60gb, no point having 2SSDs. Just get one and then a 2TB HDD. Stick with 16gb RAM, trust me it's fine for basically anything, and a lot of games still only use 1 core. You will get enough out of a 4790. Aside from the HDDs I see no problem, unless you are not planning to overclock in which case the H100i is pointless.

Topher

Bronze Level Poster
I'm with the other guys get the Caviar Blacks, they are great drives and in my experience with them they are pretty much silent... Or maybe that's my mechanics ear setting in :p

Rakk

The Awesome
Again...mechanics ear haha :p
Though I think some may be louder than others, I know my Caviar black is very loud, but I have seen other people say that theirs are quite quiet (either that or my memory is playing tricks on me again - which is quite possible).

TremF

Bronze Level Poster
Cheers guys. :)

My current setup has a 256GB SSD and a 1TB WD Caviar Black and I can definately tell when the WD is firing up and accessing.

Anyway, as I put in my last post, the order has gone in now so I'm just going to sit back and wait (excitedly and impatiently) for the beast to arrive. If I'd have held off any longer I would have likely added more and bigger rather than cutting back. :)