New PC - Very poor wifi signal

TonyXML

Hi there, very happy my new PC arrived. Every started up fine, except that right away I noticed my wifi wasn't listed on available networks. In fact, I live in a tower block with about a billion different routers, so I was surprised to see only about five listed. I had to set up the machine offline before troubleshooting.

I live in a flat with a very dodgy layout, so we have a wifi booster. I moved the PC slightly closer to the router (it's halfway up a flight of stairs so not really possible) and it just barely connected, but kept cutting out with barely 100KB/s download speed. I ran Windows troubleshooter on the wifi with no results.

To make sure it wasn't the wifi extension, I moved my whole setup to the living room, as close to the main router as possible. It's actually usable now with a decent download speed, but I still have only a 1 bar of signal despite being basically next to the router! Very frustrating, if anyone knows why this is please let me know. For now I'm going to install any essential updates and some single player games whilst connected, but I can't keep the computer here much longer for space reasons.

I should make clear - this is not a problem with my wifi. I have a Mac Mini, Windows laptop and smartphone and they all connect fine. I checked for driver updates for the network card and of course they were all up-to-date. Please let me know if there's any more info I can give. And yes, I did remove the packing material from the tower first 😅.

Spec:

Case
COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX MB530P ARGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070ti - HDMI, DP
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
if reattaching the antennae doesn't help then try reseating the wifi card, also when you ran the setup did you ensure that you installed all updates