New PC... won't play games (RTX 3060 Ti / Ryzen 5 5600X)

LegoFace

Bronze Level Poster
Good morning.

Installed Windows 10 Home via the link above. Didn't copy over any settings or files from windows.old folder. Played 3-4 minutes of Arma 3 (re-downloaded via fresh Steam install) before crashing to desktop :/

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Good morning.

Installed Windows 10 Home via the link above. Didn't copy over any settings or files from windows.old folder. Played 3-4 minutes of Arma 3 (re-downloaded via fresh Steam install) before crashing to desktop :/
Time to start looking at hardware then, have you checked the power connections to GPU and removed and reseated it ?

LegoFace

Bronze Level Poster
Time to start looking at hardware then, have you checked the power connections to GPU and removed and reseated it ?
Other than installing a second SSD I haven't poked around inside. To be clear: you want me to ONLY check the power connections and replace them back in, or check those AND remove the GPU and replace?

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Other than installing a second SSD I haven't poked around inside. To be clear: you want me to ONLY check the power connections and replace them back in, or check those AND remove the GPU and replace?
Yeah, pretty much, check the power connections are secure, remove and replace the GPU from the motherboard. I would do the same with RAM too.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Good morning.

If there was a windows.old folder then you haven't clean installed.

You've just upgraded your hookey installation. You have to do a proper clean install

LegoFace

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, pretty much, check the power connections are secure, remove and replace the GPU from the motherboard. I would do the same with RAM too.
All done. Nothing looked untoward. The 2 ram sticks aren't placed together (there's 4 slots, they are placed on slot 1 and 3, or 2 and 4 depending on which way is up). I'm guessing this is fine and perhaps better for heat dissipation.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
All done. Nothing looked untoward. The 2 ram sticks aren't placed together (there's 4 slots, they are placed on slot 1 and 3, or 2 and 4 depending on which way is up). I'm guessing this is fine and perhaps better for heat dissipation.
RAM is supposed to be paired like that

Slot 1 & 3 are "linked" and 2 & 4 are "linked" so that is the proper set up

Might be worth reseating the GPU too mate it's very easy to do and sometimes dust in the slot can cause odd problems

LegoFace

Bronze Level Poster
RAM is supposed to be paired like that

Slot 1 & 3 are "linked" and 2 & 4 are "linked" so that is the proper set up

Might be worth reseating the GPU too mate it's very easy to do and sometimes dust in the slot can cause odd problems
Gotcha! Many thanks.

LegoFace

Bronze Level Poster
Back again.

Deleted all partitions and installed Windows 10 Home (via Microsoft link provided above). Installed all Windows updates. Installed latest Nvidia driver. Installed Steam. Downloaded Arma 3. Played for 3 minutes (silky smooth, high frames, everything on ultra settings (defaults), 2k monitor). Crashed to desktop. :(

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Back again.

Deleted all partitions and installed Windows 10 Home (via Microsoft link provided above). Installed all Windows updates. Installed latest Nvidia driver. Installed Steam. Downloaded Arma 3. Played for 3 minutes (silky smooth, high frames, everything on ultra settings (defaults), 2k monitor). Crashed to desktop. :(
Can you take a screenshot of your windows update page and device manager?

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Back again.

Have you checked GPU power, seating etc ?

LegoFace

Bronze Level Poster

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    710.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 2.png
    2.png
    682.3 KB · Views: 91