new project :)

jcuk

Bronze Level Poster
As my old pc is abt to become redundant, and i dont have the heart to sell it lol, im thinking maybe start a wee project and breathe a bit of life into the old girl, was thinking i cld use it as a back up or data storage only and network it upto my new pc, any suggestions as to what wld be cheap enough to get it faster.

Its got-

Amd athlon 64 2.0ghz
3 gig sdram
Nvidia 6800 ultra
Asus fata1ty motherboard pci-e
250gig hdd

Meds

To get an Intel CPU you would need to change the Motherboard and then possibly the RAM & GPU too depending on what the new mobo supports, so that could get pricey.

Can you be a bit more precise with the exact model number of the following components;

CPU:
RAM (and speed):
Motherboard:

Also, is the 6800 Ultra PCI Express or AGP?

jcuk

Bronze Level Poster
Ill get more details on then when i finish work, the mobo i think is the an8, bought it in like 2006 haha, the gpu is pci-e with 256 ram. Dont really want to do much to it but the mobo will let me down in terms of compatability with nrwer components :/

Zeplini

don't sell anything, install windows sever and stick it in the spare room, you don't need a keyboard or monitor then use it has a media streaming server to all computers and devices in the house ;)

Gorman

Author Level
don't sell anything, install windows sever and stick it in the spare room, you don't need a keyboard or monitor then use it has a media streaming server to all over computers and devices in the house ;)

Not a bad idea at all, autobackup on home server is sweet.

Gorman

Author Level
A working network ready box and the home server software is all. Maybe some extra storage in it if your going to be using it as a file server / backup

LDUK

Master Poster
See, this is what happened with me. I was like, yeah lets upgrade a bit. Oh, I need this, oh and this, and this. So I decided to get a whole new one lol.

jcuk

Bronze Level Poster
A working network ready box and the home server software is all. Maybe some extra storage in it if your going to be using it as a file server / backup

any suggestions for a cheapish/decent network rdy box and the software?