New PSVR 2 appears to leave PC VR in the dust

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is well worth a look, the new PSVR 2 has OLED panels @ 2000 x 2040 per eye although no mention I saw of refresh rate. But at a jaw busting price of $550, so I guess pricewise, the only real competitor is the Facebook Quest 2 with the major PC vendors being substantially more.

Now, the PC manufacturers won't take this lightly and it makes me very excited that we may see PC VR v2.0 finally hitting the market in the coming months, although prices are likely to be formidable.

Remember also, we're expecting Apple to announce their first Augmented Reality headset in the coming months also which will no doubt put some stiff competition to the usual players. I wonder if we'll see an update to the Valve Index finally as well.

Last edited:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Don't forget that the Apple system will look beautiful, be faultless, but only allow you to run Excel at 10FPS, and require a £10k MacPro to run it - but I'll probably still buy it :unsure:

Last edited:

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
This is well worth a look, the new PSVR 2 has OLED panels @ 2000 x 2040 per eye although no mention I saw of refresh rate. But at a jaw busting price of $550, so I guess pricewise, the only real competitor is the Facebook Quest 2 with the major PC vendors being substantially more.

Now, the PC manufacturers won't take this lightly and it makes me very excited that we may see PC VR v2.0 finally hitting the market in the coming months, although prices are likely to be formidable.

Remember also, we're expecting Apple to announce their first Augmented Reality headset in the coming months also which will no doubt put some stiff competition to the usual players. I wonder if we'll see an update to the Valve Index finally as well.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I had a look at it a couple of weeks back, pre-release, and immediately noticed the lack of titles... as well as the cost of the titles.

As much as it'll be a bargain for the hardware, I don't think the game pricing is quite as competitive as with SteamVR etc.

I'll no doubt be in for the next gen PC headset (Index 2 I think) but will need to wait and see how it all pans out.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I had a look at it a couple of weeks back, pre-release, and immediately noticed the lack of titles... as well as the cost of the titles.

As much as it'll be a bargain for the hardware, I don't think the game pricing is quite as competitive as with SteamVR etc.

I'll no doubt be in for the next gen PC headset (Index 2 I think) but will need to wait and see how it all pans out.
Oh, what were the rough game costs?

I knew there weren't many titles available at launch, didn't realise they were so much more expensive though.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The actual release prices are quite similar to what you would likely see with PC. £20-£50 depending on title. The catch, for me, is that you will rarely see them being discounted and you'll never really get a proper bargain.

Humble Bumble VR Pack for example, you would never get such an option on console.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The actual release prices are quite similar to what you would likely see with PC. £20-£50 depending on title. The catch, for me, is that you will rarely see them being discounted and you'll never really get a proper bargain.

Humble Bumble VR Pack for example, you would never get such an option on console.
All too true, there are boundless options on PC and some big titles as well at very good costs. Half Life Alyx is a true testament of what VR gaming should be about.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The great thing about this release for me is that Sony have almost done an Apple without the cost. They've taken a technology that many companies are working on and completely refined it to near hardware perfection. There is solid thought behind every mechanic from what I can see. The one minor issue is the sizing, which is fairly typical for the Japanese market.

The massive thing for me is the Foveated rendering. This, for me, is the key that everyone should be focusing on. It's how Sony can bring this headset to the masses on PS5. Eyetracking is a novelty in game for me, but used for focused rendering it completely changes the game. Framerates would go through the roof for me with that technology properly employed. From that review it looks as if they may have perfected it, or certainly gotten close.

One of the best head straps I've seen, fantastic light bleed elimination, considerations for hygiene and cleaning, lightweight, simple to operate, bye bye naff controllers, true Foveated rendering and one of the best OLED displays available on VR for ITRO 500 notes? That's some going.

Now...... how interesting would it be if the PSVR2 ended up with drivers for the PC. I would have one of them in a heartbeat. I know it's unlikely as Sony will want their share on the PS5..... but what if? That could be a complete game changer and I think they would fly off the shelves for PS5 and non PS5 owners alike. Anyone with any interest in VR would likely pickup this headset for the dual compatibility, if that were to be supported. The original PSVR works, but it wasn't exactly the hardware that everyone was after.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The great thing about this release for me is that Sony have almost done an Apple without the cost. They've taken a technology that many companies are working on and completely refined it to near hardware perfection. There is solid thought behind every mechanic from what I can see. The one minor issue is the sizing, which is fairly typical for the Japanese market.

The massive thing for me is the Foveated rendering. This, for me, is the key that everyone should be focusing on. It's how Sony can bring this headset to the masses on PS5. Eyetracking is a novelty in game for me, but used for focused rendering it completely changes the game. Framerates would go through the roof for me with that technology properly employed. From that review it looks as if they may have perfected it, or certainly gotten close.

One of the best head straps I've seen, fantastic light bleed elimination, considerations for hygiene and cleaning, lightweight, simple to operate, bye bye naff controllers, true Foveated rendering and one of the best OLED displays available on VR for ITRO 500 notes? That's some going.

Now...... how interesting would it be if the PSVR2 ended up with drivers for the PC. I would have one of them in a heartbeat. I know it's unlikely as Sony will want their share on the PS5..... but what if? That could be a complete game changer and I think they would fly off the shelves for PS5 and non PS5 owners alike. Anyone with any interest in VR would likely pickup this headset for the dual compatibility, if that were to be supported. The original PSVR works, but it wasn't exactly the hardware that everyone was after.
The other thing I wish they'd step away from is the old Fresnel lenses that almost always produce some kind of screen door effect, pancakes are so much better, it was the only part of the headset that I think they missed an opportunity to make it perfect

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Ooooooooo

Sony Interactive content communications manager Gillen McAllister

Also, we’re pleased to share that we are currently testing the ability for PS VR2 players to access additional games on PC to offer even more game variety in addition to the PS VR2 titles available through PS5. We hope to make this support available in 2024, so stay tuned for more updates.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The way I read it was direct connection.

I'll be honest, I think it's the dream move for Sony to make. I can't see them losing out the deal.

Are there people who would buy a PS5 who won't now buy a PS5 because they can get PSVR2 for PC? Possibly, but there can't be many. I have a PS5 and LOVE VR but I haven't got the PSVR2, and won't till I can plug it into my PC.

Are there people who won't be interested but will buy a PSVR2..... absolutely, I think this is the main group.

From the main group above, how many are going to think.... ach well, I've got the PSVR2 now, lets look for a discount PS5 promo and get onto that platform for a song too! My guess is lots.

I genuinely can't see them losing out. The very least that it would do is put the cat among the pigeons and get the other manufacturers doing something worthy of the cash.