New Rig \o/

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
So I finally got my new rig from PCS, Sit back and relax because this is gonna be a fairly long review, starting with a little bit of a sob story <3. Pic's will be included as soon as I can be arsed to upload them ^.^

I came to PCS after a fellow guild member on WoW ordered her PC from PCS, I've been limping on and on with a PC that was probably in all fairness obsolete when I got it. It was a single core with 1GB of RAM and a GeForce 8400GS (which at the time I believe I paid £50 odd for), That's not say that this PC didn't serve me well

It got me & my guild through some serious progress in Wrath of Lich King (including numerous Lich King kills), After Cataclysm's release & getting involved in the RIFT beta I really wanted to upgrade my rig. After looking around online & speaking to several different communities about upgrading my rig it was decided that I would be better off with a new one as opposed to upgrading my old one, which brought me here to PCS

The sole reason for me not upgrading or getting a new system was purely that I had been unemployed for the better part of 2 - 3 years. Well that all changed in November last year, I landed a new job as an I.T Teacher/Trainer and after starting in February and working my butt off I figured it was time to get a new system

The PCS site is very easy to navigate & building my own system based on about a budget of £700 I was able to create my perfect PC, Its not my dream PC but that can all be changed with a few minor upgrades here & there over the next few months wages. I was extremely happy with the customer support I received during the planning and ordering/building of PC. The support team seemed to happily go out of their way to find out the info that I needed, I was running slightly over budget so I rang up the sales team and asked if there was any way that I could bring down the price slightly... sure enough within a few short minutes I had brought the price down to a manageable £685.

Once I had ordered the PC it was simply playing the waiting game & I seriously wont lie when I say that the thought of me actually getting a NEW and better system than what I have was literally making me pull my hair out with anticipation. I quite frankly remember sitting on the PCS website refreshing every half hour or so once it reached the processing stage ^.^

As much I hate having to say negative things, I was a little annoyed over the extremely long waiting period on the phone. The first time I ever phoned PCS I spent a good 35 minutes on hold having to listen to what I called nightmare musac. But it certainly isn't enough to put me off buying from PCS again & I will most definitely refer my friends here

Well its been 11 working days & I have finally received said system. Below is the spec & enjoy!

Case - COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE
Processor - AMD PHENOM II X4 955 (3.20GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION
Motherboard - ASUS® M4A87TD/USB3: DUAL DDR3,SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
Memory (RAM) - 4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card - 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 460 - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11, 3D Vision Ready

Hard Disk - 500GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive - 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply - CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£78)
Processor Cooling - STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Sound Card - ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities - ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (AS STANDARD)
USB Options - 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

OS - Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Special thanks to the people who put all their hard work into building my rig, I'd also like to thank Jack & Darren in the support team for helping me over the phone. Without all of you probably would still be limping on with my old rig... which btw, I have fobbed off to my brother ^.^

Built By - Adam Kirby
Tested By - Zbear Ramzan
QC'd By - Craig Whiteley
Packed By - Anthony Cunliffe

Total Cost: £685
Will upload pics as soon <3

Last edited:

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
Aye, Ive already got some pics on my phone... Just need to upload them, But Ive gotta totally re-organize my room to fit the PC in. I live in a tiny room and the computer desk I have isn't that tall so getting the rig under it is causing some issues & I cant put it on top of it either as I have a 32" TV which takes up all the space...

Due to my budget I wasn't fully able to get what I wanted, but I plan to buy some upgrades from PCS and install them myself in the near future ^.^

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
Ive also got some video of the unboxing, Im at work at the moment so I cant finish editing it and uploading it

Soon as I am home (in about 4 hours) I will upload the clips & put them here along with the pics

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
Pics

Okay so as promised here are the pics of my new rig... Ive got a pic of my old rig just to show you what I was actually using ^.^

I have a video of it running and me giving a quick review of PCS, soon as that is uploaded on youtube I will link it here

Enjoy guys <3

My video review

[video=youtube;WJBcaffJhJ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJBcaffJhJ4[/video]

Pictures

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

My OLD rig

IMAG0019.jpg

Note*

Could one of the mods change the title of the thread so that it includes pics & video?

Last edited:

pez

Good review mate and you're right, the waiting is a pain in the a$$. I had to wait almost 48hrs and that was bad enough !!!!

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
The randomer is my brother ^.^ I gave him my old PC & he was all to eager to do all the legwork of taking it out of my bedroom... Heh, I wont complain. The wait was really annoying but I'd rather that PCS took that long because it means that its a quality build, not a quick throw together of parts and then have it not working when it arrives