New Skyfire II Fps Problems

MattH

So i got my new skyfire II and it's been running very well, but iv noticed when im playing games my frame rate will suddenly half. I tried this on 3 different games. Crysis, Far cry 3 and Planetside 2. They all do the same thing. I've set my Graphics settings so that they all run around 60fps and they all drop to around 20-30fps for no reason when Im playing the game, if i just wait and dont move around the fps will jump back up to 60 after about 5 seconds and it will be fine. This drop usually happens when I move my character forwards and turn around randomly.

Specs:
Chassis & Display SkyFire:17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3630QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 120GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 500GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
RAID NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Integrated 4 in 1 Card Reader (SDXC/MMC/MS/XD)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & INTEL WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0
USB Options 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 3 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery SkyFire Series 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
This Article regarding V sync and the adaptive V sync feature available through your Nvidia Control Panel might explain it for you.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/16/nvidia_adaptive_vsync_technology_review

To sum it up though. If you have V-Sync turned on constantly, then any time that the FPS goes below 60FPS then it will automatically drop straight to 30FPS and then again down to 20 fps in single jumps.
If you turn Vsync to adaptive, it keeps the vsync turned on when at 60fps however if there is even a small drop in framerate it automatically turns vsync off and allows the card to run in real time therefore eliminating the big drops. I would recommend turning your VSync to Adaptive and see if it improves it.

(The Article refers to a GTX680, but the adaptive V sync technology is across all the recent Nvidia Cards using the new 300 series Drivers)

Last edited:

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
Are you looking in the Global Menu of the Manage 3D settings tab of the Nvidia Control Panel?

If you are I apologise, but if not, search for "Nvidia" in your Start Menu search box and open the NVidia Control Panel.

In the left hand navigation bar, click on the Manage 3D settings option and it should bring up a new scrollable menu to the right.

Ensuring you are on the "Global" tab, scroll all the way to the bottom and you should find Vertical Sync. You can then alter the settings using the drop down menu next to it. This overides any in game setting that you can access from their graphics menus

If you are already trying that and you only have the on/off option in the Control Panel I admit to being confused. I was under the impression that Adaptive Vsync was on all Nvidia Cards.....

MattH

I am looking in gobal on the control panel and there is no option for 'Adaptive' V sync. i had a quick google as i'm certain i should have the option. turns out it should be there, but obviously it isn't. I downloaded the program Nvidia Inspector, which works like the control panel, and oddly enough the option for adaptive is there for me to choose. And after choosing Adaptive in Nvidia inspector, the Vsync option in the control panel had also changed to Adaptive. but as soon as i go to click to see if the Adaptive option had appeared it just changed back to on / off, and the adaptive option vanished for Nvidia Control panel....

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
Very strange mate..

I definitely think that is the root of your problem but all I can suggest is that you download the latest driver package applicable to your card through the official Nvidia site http://www.geforce.com/drivers

I would let the site auto detect your GPU and suggest the correct driver. Hopefully the adaptive vsync option will appear then.....

Aside from that (apart from turning Vsync off entirely and seeing if the screen tearing is the lesser of two evils as opposed to the large drops in FPS) I am at a loss and cannot really suggest anything further

Good Luck