New spec compared to old

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve jones

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys, i've posted on these forums once before but i have a serious dilemma and i hope you can help me out.

I own a DELL XPS 435MT
Processor: Intel I7 920 2.66Ghz Quad core
memory: 6GB DDR3 ram
Hard drive: 1TB 7200rpm
GPU: Nvidia 250gts 512mb

Now the question is should i fork out for a brand new pc or just stick in a GTX480 card as i want to be able to play games such as FF14 on highest settings possible, now this is the spec i have built so far as a possible replacement.

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Network Facilities
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD (£16)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EXTREME DIRECT TOUCH COPPER CPU COOLER (£39)
Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 850W PSU (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£100)
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
Graphics Card
1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Memory (RAM)
6GB SAMSUNG DDR3 TRI-DDR3 1333MHz (3 X 2GB)
Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE (£82)
Miscellaneous
FREE MAFIA II Game (RRP: £34.99) with a qualifying GTX 4xx Series GPU!
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Monitor
IIYAMA E2271HDS 22" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D FULL HD 1920x1080 (£149)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,489.00 including VAT and delivery.

Now what would you do in my place? Possibly sell my old one and get this new one, or just upgrade the GPU??.

Help me PCS your my only hope!!.

Gorman

Author Level
My vote is upgrade the GPU in the Dell machine if your PSU can support the load.

Yes i will probably get sacked for saying that :(

steve jones

Bronze Level Poster
I have 800W PSU currently, im pretty sure i can manage the gtx 480.

More opinions and the reasons for your decision either way would help me out alot.

Also which model of nvidia GTX 480 would you buy?? soo many different ones out there.

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
800w is fine. The reasoning is that you will be spending a lot of money pretty much swapping like for like performance wise.

Value for money option will be to just add the 480.

Any make, the only real differences are warranty and clocks.

steve jones

Bronze Level Poster
Would the Zotac GTX480 fit into the DELL XPS 435MT tower? i am not sure if your familiar with the machine but it is quite sleek.

Also from the specs i gave you could you tell me if my pc is mid range or high range when it comes to gaming, i would hate to get the card and find out other components are limiting it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!.

p.s which of these cards would you buy and whats th difference?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=gtx+480&x=0&y=0

I mean im leaning more towards the ZOTAC card at £345 for obvious reasons but would prefer not to have a sub standard card, its rather quite confusing.

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
I could not comment on wether it would fit as i am not familiar with Dell's chassis.

I own a DELL XPS 435MT
Processor: Intel I7 920 2.66Ghz Quad core
memory: 6GB DDR3 ram
Hard drive: 1TB 7200rpm
GPU: Nvidia 250gts 512mb

Is your spec

I7 920 @ 4.0|Asus P6T|12GB DDR3 1333|GTX 480 @ 910|HX1000W|800D|Full Custom WC Loop

Is mine, i consider my rig to be still high end.

steve jones

Bronze Level Poster
I see your spec but to me i see the difference in processing power and the extra 6GB of ram, aside from that and if i do go for the 480, is there much difference performance wise on the 2 specs and also i have never OC a PC before but i was thinking when i have the New GPU installed to ask the techguy to possibly OC the CPU, any thoughts?.

Gorman

Author Level
I overclocked mine as its an interest of mine, i also sank £300 into a custom watercooling loop to aid this. And for gaming i will run at stock clocks.

attachment.php

Our CPU's are identical.

You have the optimum amount of RAM.

You could refresh your whole PC if you want the latest and greatest, if it was me, i would save the cash for the next generation of CPU's etc and just do the GPU upgrade.

Sleinous

Author Level
Would the Zotac GTX480 fit into the DELL XPS 435MT tower? i am not sure if your familiar with the machine but it is quite sleek.

Also from the specs i gave you could you tell me if my pc is mid range or high range when it comes to gaming, i would hate to get the card and find out other components are limiting it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!.

p.s which of these cards would you buy and whats th difference?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=gtx+480&x=0&y=0

I mean im leaning more towards the ZOTAC card at £345 for obvious reasons but would prefer not to have a sub standard card, its rather quite confusing.

The processor and motherboard cause bottlenecks, judging by the i7 920 it has to be an x58 chipset which means, no, no bottlenecks. 6GB of RAM is fine too.

Sleinous

Author Level
Yes theres enough room in there. There are many GPU manufacturers, some good ones incoude EVGA, PNY, Palit, Zotac, ASUS.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Yeah I wouldn't suggest getting a new computer just yet either as yours is still pretty good. Also, there's no point in getting 12GB of RAM for playing games as there's none which currently make use of it all.

And for gaming i will run at stock clocks.

Why do that? surely you'd get more frames per second with the processor overclocked?

Gorman

Author Level
Yeah I wouldn't suggest getting a new computer just yet either as yours is still pretty good. Also, there's no point in getting 12GB of RAM for playing games as there's none which currently make use of it all.

Why do that? surely you'd get more frames per second with the processor overclocked?

I overclock for benches, i am yet to come across a game i need the extra fps in!

Status
Not open for further replies.