New system will not restore..Unspecified error during system restore 0x80070005

weare one

Bronze Level Poster
That's interesting, and worrying at the same time. These error 41 messages could be caused by the system automatically restarting itself, has that ever happened? When a 'system problem' is detected Windows is configured to automatically restart (and write a memory dump). This is what Microsoft has to say about error 41; https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...1-error-the-system-has-rebooted-without-clean.

The sfc /scannow seems to have been worth running since errors in system files was detected and corrected. It will be interesting to see whether that has any effect on your restore point issue.

BTW. Did you buy this PC with Windows pre-installed or did you install your own copy?

Windows 10 was pre-installed by PCS and now that you mention it my system did appear to re-boot itself the other day.

I normally leave my pc on all day as I go back and forth rather frequently throughout the day and I did notice that once there was no apps/web pages open what’s so ever. This has only happend once btw :excl:

Last edited:

fnf

Silver Level Poster
Windows 10 was pre-installed by PCS and now that you mention it my system did appear to re-boot itself the other day.

I normally leave my pc on all day as I go back and forth rather frequently throughout the day and I did notice that once there was no apps/web pages open what’s so ever. This has only happend once btw :excl:

Thanks for uploading the screenshots. I couldn't find any VSS snapshots failure. They might still have happened. In the list of errors you can sort by the Event ID column by clicking on the column's title which will help finding it quickly.

However, given the BSOD it's looking more likely that Windows crashed which could cause a corrupted partition, although it is unlikely as the system drive would have to be unmounted cleanly even in the event of a BSOD.

Could you install WinDbg from the Store and analyse C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP (you'll need admin permission). It will tell us which driver was likely to be the cause or if it was a hardware error.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
However, given the BSOD it's looking more likely that Windows crashed which could cause a corrupted partition, although it is unlikely as the system drive would have to be unmounted cleanly even in the event of a BSOD.

What BSOD? Did I miss something?

Could you install WinDbg from the Store and analyse C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP (you'll need admin permission). It will tell us which driver was likely to be the cause or if it was a hardware error.

You can have a stab at analysing the dump yourself but you may be a tad overwhelmed, WinDbg is not the most intuitive tool to use. A better idea would be to upload the dump here (assuming you have one) and let us look at it. That's not to suggest you're not smart enough to analyse it yourself but WinDbg (even the UWP version in the store) can be a bit of a handful. :)

fnf

Silver Level Poster
What BSOD? Did I miss something?
You weren't, I was referring to the Kernel-Power event. The logs quoted were 3 weeks old so it isn't clear if there have been recent system crashes.

You can have a stab at analysing the dump yourself but you may be a tad overwhelmed, WinDbg is not the most intuitive tool to use. A better idea would be to upload the dump here (assuming you have one) and let us look at it. That's not to suggest you're not smart enough to analyse it yourself but WinDbg (even the UWP version in the store) can be a bit of a handful. :)

MEMORY.DMP is usually quite large (~3GB for me) but perhaps it's just my memory :) .

weare one

Bronze Level Poster
You can have a stab at analysing the dump yourself but you may be a tad overwhelmed, WinDbg is not the most intuitive tool to use. A better idea would be to upload the dump here (assuming you have one) and let us look at it. That's not to suggest you're not smart enough to analyse it yourself but WinDbg (even the UWP version in the store) can be a bit of a handful.
clip_image002.gif

I take no offence what so ever I am only to grateful for the help and advice. We just had another power cut btw only last a few seconds but we live in rural Ireland so this does happen :oops:

So that I get this right which one of these do I download plus photo attatched

Download WinDbg Preview from the Microsoft Store

Get Debugging Tools for Windows (WinDbg) (from the SDK)

And do I have to do anything about this:-

Getting started

By enabling the Universal Windows Platform development work stream in the Visual Studio installer, the Windows SDK will be installed.
Before you install this SDK:
1. Review all system requirements in this topic.
2. Exit Visual Studio 2017 RTM prior to installation. If Visual Studio is running, it is possible the SDK Setup will fail. Learn more about common tool issues.
3. Review the Known Issues in this topic.

Windbg 1.jpg

weare one

Bronze Level Poster
Ok I have downloaded WinDbg Preview and I'm lost already.

1st screen upon opening

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] screen open file to start ?????

I can see nowhere of how to run C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

WinDbg start screen.jpgarrow to start debugging.jpg

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I take no offence what so ever I am only to grateful for the help and advice. We just had another power cut btw only last a few seconds but we live in rural Ireland so this does happen :oops:

Ah...! That would certainly account for the event 41 messages. I live in Crete where we also get the occasional power flick. I strongly suggest that you look at getting a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) to stop your PC crashing in power flicks. A UPS is basically a battery driving an inverter to power your PC, and charging circuits to keep the battery topped up whilst the mains is on. When the mains drops the battery/inverter keeps power flowing to the PC for several minutes to either survive the power flick or, if it's a full on power cut, shut the PC down properly.

You don't need a hugely expensive one, nor one with lots of bells and whistles. I have a very simple 800VA line-interactive UPS that cost me 50 Euros here. The line interactive feature of the UPS is important, it means that the PC is always running off the battery/inverter and the charging circuits keep the battery fully charged. This means that if the mains drops there is no switching involved, the PC is still supplied by the battery/inverter it's just that with the mains off the battery is draining.

My 800VA UPS powers my PC, the monitor, and the router, so that a power flick has zero effect on my system (unless I happen to be printing at the time). I haven't felt the need to test how long my battery will hold that load up with the mains off but I have had it running for five minutes since power off and for me that's plenty long enough to do a proper shutdown.

Edit: If you get a power flick (even one too short to stop the PC) that could affect a system restore point being taken and could even account for the corruption in system files you saw. Power flicks are not a good thing, even if the PC seems to survive. I really would suggest you get a UPS.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The mysteriously missing last post from weare one is my fault. I screwed up when replying to him and accidentally deleted his last post. Weare one is aware and he will reply in time.

Mea culpa.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
The mysteriously missing last post from weare one is my fault. I screwed up when replying to him and accidentally deleted his last post. Weare one is aware and he will reply in time.

Mea culpa.

We all make errors. I did just last night - I am in the habit of rebooting virtual machines from the command line, so I can do a quick hostname or equivalent to make sure I am shutting down the right machine.

I was remoted into my hyper-v host and wanted to do a quick reboot of a guest. Wrong command window. No hostname check and yeah...brought down my entire lab. :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
We all make errors. I did just last night - I am in the habit of rebooting virtual machines from the command line, so I can do a quick hostname or equivalent to make sure I am shutting down the right machine.

I was remoted into my hyper-v host and wanted to do a quick reboot of a guest. Wrong command window. No hostname check and yeah...brought down my entire lab. :)

No doughnut for you with your tea this afternoon either then?

weare one

Bronze Level Poster
Just a quick note to say I am going over to the UK tonight for a few weeks so I will post back and try and get my issues sorted then.

I made a system restore point today at 14.35 and used the computer until 15.20 when I tried to restore to that point. I got the same error message as previously.

Just to clarify I am only trying to obtain a dump file for you more experienced members to hopefully analyse it for me.

See yee's in a couple of weeks:yes:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just a quick note to say I am going over to the UK tonight for a few weeks so I will post back and try and get my issues sorted then.

I made a system restore point today at 14.35 and used the computer until 15.20 when I tried to restore to that point. I got the same error message as previously.

Just to clarify I am only trying to obtain a dump file for you more experienced members to hopefully analyse it for me.

See yee's in a couple of weeks:yes:

Have a good trip.

I really don't think a dump will help with your system restore problem, not unless you can get the dump taken as a restore point is being written (which you can't do manually).

In the interim I'd suggest running chkdsk /r on the drive where the restore points are written if it's an HDD and a chkdsk /f if it's an SSD. You want to know that the drive is good first.

Edit: I've been doing some research on this, your 0x80070005 is specific in that it names AppxStaging as the problem module and that makes your error different to the more general 0x80070005 system restore issues out there. After a lot of forum reading I found this post from 14th June 2018 https://www.tenforums.com/backup-restore/110299-system-restore-fails-every-time.html#post1392977 which suggests that it's a known Windows 10 1803 bug, the user (who has exactly the same issue as you) says...

Spoken to MS today about my 2 issues, this System Restore and apps in the store not updating and here is their response:
"These are known issues with the latest update of Windows, and are related. Microsoft developer are working on the resolution. The fix will be released soon. The released date has not been confirmed yet. But it will be coming out soon in the coming days."

Soooo, I just installed and booted a Windows 10 1803 system in a VM to test this out in a safe environment. I took a restore point and that went fine. Then I rebooted and restored to that restore point. It all appeared to go well, the system rebooted, but on logging back in I also get the 0x80070005 error, though on mine it's complaining about the antivirus program (which is vanilla Defender).

I've also been on the Windows 10 Feedback Hub and searched for System Restore issues (there are tons) and found several reporting the 0x80070005 error, though none that also mentioned AppStaging. The insiders do seem to be of the general opinion that Microsoft are deprecating System Restore in favour of Windows Reset (no comments from Microsoft on that however) though I note that System Restore has been turned off by default on most recent Windows 10 builds.

My advice now is that you should probably abandon System Restore and turn if off for all your drives. For system backup I personally recommend Macrium Reflect, it has a small learning curve (that I can help with) but it's pretty easy to use once mastered. Macrium Reflect will write an image of your system drive (or any drive, but it's most useful on the system dive) to one or more files on your backup media (or to another internal drive if you like). You'll need to make a Macrium restore DVD/USB stick so that in the event of needing to restore an image you boot the Macrium restore media and use that to restore an image off your backup media. I've been using it for years and restored images many times, always without issues. I have mine set to run on a nightly schedule to backup my system drive and I tell it to keep the last 14 images too.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Have a good trip.

I really don't think a dump will help with your system restore problem, not unless you can get the dump taken as a restore point is being written (which you can't do manually).

In the interim I'd suggest running chkdsk /r on the drive where the restore points are written if it's an HDD and a chkdsk /f if it's an SSD. You want to know that the drive is good first.

Edit: I've been doing some research on this, your 0x80070005 is specific in that it names AppxStaging as the problem module and that makes your error different to the more general 0x80070005 system restore issues out there. After a lot of forum reading I found this post from 14th June 2018 https://www.tenforums.com/backup-restore/110299-system-restore-fails-every-time.html#post1392977 which suggests that it's a known Windows 10 1803 bug, the user (who has exactly the same issue as you) says...

Soooo, I just installed and booted a Windows 10 1803 system in a VM to test this out in a safe environment. I took a restore point and that went fine. Then I rebooted and restored to that restore point. It all appeared to go well, the system rebooted, but on logging back in I also get the 0x80070005 error, though on mine it's complaining about the antivirus program (which is vanilla Defender).

I've also been on the Windows 10 Feedback Hub and searched for System Restore issues (there are tons) and found several reporting the 0x80070005 error, though none that also mentioned AppStaging. The insiders do seem to be of the general opinion that Microsoft are deprecating System Restore in favour of Windows Reset (no comments from Microsoft on that however) though I note that System Restore has been turned off by default on most recent Windows 10 builds.

My advice now is that you should probably abandon System Restore and turn if off for all your drives. For system backup I personally recommend Macrium Reflect, it has a small learning curve (that I can help with) but it's pretty easy to use once mastered. Macrium Reflect will write an image of your system drive (or any drive, but it's most useful on the system dive) to one or more files on your backup media (or to another internal drive if you like). You'll need to make a Macrium restore DVD/USB stick so that in the event of needing to restore an image you boot the Macrium restore media and use that to restore an image off your backup media. I've been using it for years and restored images many times, always without issues. I have mine set to run on a nightly schedule to backup my system drive and I tell it to keep the last 14 images too.

Excellent research. Kudos.

weare one

Bronze Level Poster
Wow excellent work ubuysa thank you so much for all you time and hard work :punk:

Last edited: