New Way to Check Specifications...

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We've now updated the way that we check a specification for compatibility!

You will now notice as you configure your specification that we check for compatability before you proceed and an expanded window will appear informing you if your specification passes or fails our checks.

We're hoping this will reduce the amount of confusion amongst the less IT literate and give confidence to customers that what they've chosen will be compatible.

If anyone has any feedback or notices any bugs with this please post here.

Sleinous

Author Level
Oooh handy! :p You should add a pop up when someone selects an HDD, saying "Beware Sleinous will moan if it doesnt have atleast 32mb of cache" :p

Nemesis

after reading some threads involving your sig (imho nice), other forum members seem to enjoy picking on members with longer sigs lol

ps not real reason just lazy atm maybe will do it later:)
also i think this may just be my first hijacked thread yay!! lol

PCS nice feature improving all the time!!

Sleinous

Author Level
after reading some threads involving your sig (imho nice), other forum members seem to enjoy picking on members with longer sigs lol

ps not real reason just lazy atm maybe will do it later:)
also i think this may just be my first hijacked thread yay!! lol

PCS nice feature improving all the time!!

Thing is, it worked because it made me laugh lol. Admittedly its not all that hard to make me laugh but still :p +I think I was teh cause of this topic derailment :( *puts the minecart back on its tracks*

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Quick question - does anyone find this feature annoying? I can imagine that most people play around with their spec on the configurator page to get what they want, then proess proceed, so it should only appear towards the end of their selections. But possibly some customers go forward then back?

Previously to this we only alerted you if you made an incorrect selection, but now we alert everyone with a view to increasing confidence in your selection and assuring you that we've checked it...

Any additional feedback will be appreciated.

Sleinous

Author Level
Only thing I found a little annoying was that I could no longer press the back button to go back to the spec configurator after having pressed proceed, as it just took me straight back to AMD / Intel selector. (Had to use the "Modify" button at the bottom of the page instead.

However I do think this new check should but people's minds at ease ifthey're worried about whether or not their PCI or PCIe cards will fit etc etc. Possibly an added bonus sometime would be (in the overview page that follows) something that tells you how many spare expansion slots etc you will have left on your pc for future upgrades.

Also maybe, a check to see whether all frontal USB ports + the 52in1 card reader will actually work on selected case + motherboard for example a haf 932 and an asus rampage with a 52in1 card reader - only the 52in1 card reader can be inserted unless an NZXT IU01 is also bought or something like that.

I dunno, just some ideas im throwing about :)

Last edited:

rocknroll

Bronze Level Poster
like it.
maybe a box at the end saying that once you post this spec on the forum you will become enlightened by the endless knowledge of the forum masses and end up changing a few components.

Quander

We've now updated the way that we check a specification for compatibility!

You will now notice as you configure your specification that we check for compatability before you proceed and an expanded window will appear informing you if your specification passes or fails our checks.

We're hoping this will reduce the amount of confusion amongst the less IT literate and give confidence to customers that what they've chosen will be compatible.

If anyone has any feedback or notices any bugs with this please post here.

This is the main reason ppl including me wouldnt like to try and build from scratch incompatability.

So we one comes looking for a site to do it for them then thats one of the first things that will attract them. I know I did alot of homework before finalising on my build but still the basic messages that popped up even then made me feel more comfortable and then that coupled with ye guys saying ya or nah in the forums sealed the deal for me. So the more of that knowledge that can be automated in site then the more reputation this site will recieve.

One very simple add on to the above would be - if not all ready included - when I chose my 2x GTX480s, looking at the mobo I selected I still thought that the 2 PCI slots would be clear - which ye set me str8 on. If this isnt already included in the above new add-on it would be good not only in compatiblity would be looked at but also space in respect tot he components chosen etc.

Just a thought.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
One very simple add on to the above would be - if not all ready included - when I chose my 2x GTX480s, looking at the mobo I selected I still thought that the 2 PCI slots would be clear - which ye set me str8 on. If this isnt already included in the above new add-on it would be good not only in compatiblity would be looked at but also space in respect tot he components chosen etc.

We added this feature a few weeks ago so if configuring a PC with too many PCI devices it now prevents you for ordering the wrong specification. This is also why some options, such as wireless network cards for example, have a PCI and PCI-E equivalent so that you can make the most of all your available ports.

What we can't do however is guess what you're going to install yourself (for example if you plan on adding your own TV card), and so you will need to consider that about 60% - 70% of the graphics cards we sell occupy 2 slots, clovering a PCI or PCI-E slot.

Last edited:

Nemesis

I think what Quander is trying to say is that in the message you could be told what PCIe / PCI slots have been left free as well as whether everything fits or not?? I think that would be a good idea for people wanting to add stuff later.

Quander

I think what Quander is trying to say is that in the message you could be told what PCIe / PCI slots have been left free as well as whether everything fits or not?? I think that would be a good idea for people wanting to add stuff later.

Ya exactly - remember alot of ppl that upgrade also do so with expansion in mind and with the mobo I got - even though I knew each was a 2 slotter as have fitted more than enuf of them to know that for some reason that board looks like it had the slots spaced more than 1 slot apart in otherwords that even with 2 slots filled it still would have left it available.

Shibin

Enthusiast
I agree with Quander,another suggestion is that when i made my setup i really wanted to see the picture of each component to see what it looked like instead of searching on google and not knowing the exact model. I think if the picture updates according to what you chose it would be a great help,plus when the click on the picture maybe receive information about the gpu etc? ..my 2 cents :D

Btw loving the new specification check

Slurpak

Silver Level Poster
In the message you could be told what PCIe / PCI slots have been left free as well as whether everything fits or not?? I think that would be a good idea for people wanting to add stuff later.
i agree with this. i have been looking at the specs, and was planning on adding another graphics card at a later date, but not sure whether it would fit or not. it would be very useful if it told you how much room for expansion the computer had left.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Quander,another suggestion is that when i made my setup i really wanted to see the picture of each component to see what it looked like instead of searching on google and not knowing the exact model. I think if the picture updates according to what you chose it would be a great help,plus when the click on the picture maybe receive information about the gpu etc? ..my 2 cents :D

You can see information on the individual components by click the the "i" buttom to the right-hand side of the drop down menus. Where possible we include a picture of the product. Some components we cannot provide a picture of, because the exact model may change week to week (for example if we buy a Sapphire graphics card or a PowerColor graphics card).

i agree with this. i have been looking at the specs, and was planning on adding another graphics card at a later date, but not sure whether it would fit or not. it would be very useful if it told you how much room for expansion the computer had left.

We will look into this. It's possible.

Shibin

Enthusiast
Yes for some products they do,but other they dont?. For example the PSU( would help if u say they are from fsp which provide corsiar etc so people dont suspect it is a bad company as such), the unbranded monitors(same as the psu).
But i guess your right for the most part,i never checked everything in detail as i just assumed things like the cheaper cpu coolers wont have info on them. Clearly i am wrong..i apologize :D