Next Gen Gaming Laptops Predictions?

debiruman665

Enthusiast
With RTX 3000 series around the corner and no Supers on laptops yet, does anyone have any predictions when laptops will catch up? Will I likely need a new chassis for the newer cards when they do come out?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
With RTX 3000 series around the corner and no Supers on laptops yet, does anyone have any predictions when laptops will catch up? Will I likely need a new chassis for the newer cards when they do come out?
There are Supers on laptops now.

But 3000 mobile won’t be out for another year or so.

You’d have to upgrade the whole laptop to update the GPU.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
There are Supers on laptops now.

But 3000 mobile won’t be out for another year or so.

You’d have to upgrade the whole laptop to update the GPU.

Are the supers being sold here? I can't see any advertised. I got an octane VI, I was under the impression the GPU was able to be swapped out.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Are the supers being sold here? I can't see any advertised. I got an octane VI, I was under the impression the GPU was able to be swapped out.
The Supers are on PCS laptops, most of the 15" models have them available.

The Octane does have an MXM card, but to buy an individual card costs almost as much as a laptop and then you'd need a custom BIOS (otherwise it wouldn't be recognised) which would cost a fortune also.

Why on earth are you looking at an upgrade anyway? It wouldn't offer any increased performance at all.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
The Supers are on PCS laptops, most of the 15" models have them available.

The Octane does have an MXM card, but to buy an individual card costs almost as much as a laptop and then you'd need a custom BIOS (otherwise it wouldn't be recognised) which would cost a fortune also.
I just went and checked the upgrade part of the order and I think you're right.

Hmff, I'm quite sad now, i was pretty sure that the GPU was upgrade-able if i sent it into PCS. So I guess the GPU come with the chassis then and even then don't swap them out?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I just went and checked the upgrade part of the order and I think you're right.

Hmff, I'm quite sad now, i was pretty sure that the GPU was upgrade-able if i sent it into PCS. So I guess the GPU come with the chassis then and even then don't swap them out?
Basically any GPU in any laptop is not upgradeable.

MXM cards can be upgraded technically ie you can buy a replacement card, but they're exorbitantly expensive and then you need a BIOS to support it which would always be a custom affair as almost no manufacturer accounts for upgraded GPU's.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
I did a google search on a certain other vendor who is known for selling Clevo upgrades. They're not selling any Supers but a 2080 upgrade kit + Bios is £1150, which is the price of an entry level laptop, and then I'll be left holding an MXM card that is difficult to resell.

I can only see 2080 Super Max-Q which comparing to the 2080 I got right now probably isn't that much of a difference performance wise, maybe a bit cooler? Not worth £1k for marginally better. Thanks for helping out. I think I'll go for a PC next time then.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I did a google search on a certain other vendor who is known for selling Clevo upgrades. They're not selling any Supers but a 2080 upgrade kit + Bios is £1150, which is the price of an entry level laptop, and then I'll be left holding an MXM card that is difficult to resell.

I can only see 2080 Super Max-Q which comparing to the 2080 I got right now probably isn't that much of a difference performance wise, maybe a bit cooler? Not worth £1k for marginally better. Thanks for helping out. I think I'll go for a PC next time then.
Again, it's not the card that's the main factor, it's the BIOS to support it.

If you were to buy a 2080 Super, you'd install it and the machine wouldn't boot at all, would be completely useless. You need a have a BIOS written for your chassis to support the card.

You will always find replacement cards and BIOS for the GPU's that the chassis was supplied with, but finding an actual upgrade beyond that to next gen is impossible as far as I've ever seen.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm eagerly looking to play the new minecraft RTX and even with a 2080 the beta was running somewhat sluggish.
If it was struggling then there was likely something wrong with your config, according to benchmarks you should be averaging about 66fps on full settings at 1080p (laptop 2080 being around 2070 super level) unless you're trying on a 4k screen in which case, just no chance at all.

Remember also it's still in Beta, once it's ready for release the GPU requirements will be an awful lot less, it's just it's not optimised yet.

Delanno

Have you considered getting a laptop like the Vyper with thunderbolt 3 port and in a few years time, you would be able to upgrade your GPU performance with an eGPU...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Have you considered getting a laptop like the Vyper with thunderbolt 3 port and in a few years time, you would be able to upgrade your GPU performance with an eGPU...
His laptop is top end, upgrading now would be absolutely crazy to support a game that's only so hungry because it's in beta, would be insane.

Delanno

His laptop is top end, upgrading now would be absolutely crazy to support a game that's only so hungry because it's in beta, would be insane.
Oh, O haven't realized that he already had received the Optimus, O thought it was on the way.
But, yeah, of course, upgrading a new laptop would be crazy.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh, O haven't realized that he already had received the Optimus, O thought it was on the way.
But, yeah, of course, upgrading a new laptop would be crazy.
He's got an Octane with a 2080, literally one of the best laptops money can buy!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah, not going to upgrade, if it means replacing the whole chassis. I appreciate the advice Spyder. The help and advice here is top notch, as always!
I know what it's like with Beta's that you're desperate to play, but when it's properly optimised, Minecraft will run really well on that laptop. The current power requirements are purely because it's just not ready for mainstream.