No BIOS Post information

LandR

Hello,

My new Desktop (Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87M-D3H: Micro-ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, Graphics: 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 - 2 x DVI, HDMI) wont display POST information while it boots.

It just sticks with a black screen right up until it reaches the Windows login screen. I spec'd the machine with no OS but it came with Windows 7 anyway... I'm going to remove this and install Ubuntu. I've tried Ubuntu via a Live CD and I get the same thing, just a blank monitor until I reach the Unity desktop. I can't access the BIOS, the manual says that it's push delete to access the bios but I just get a black screen.

I'm using a monitor with max resolution of 1440x990 and it's connected via VGA.

Any ideas why I'm getting no POST information and why I can't access the BIOS ? It's like I have no video output at all until it hits the windows login screen.

I've updated all the drivers via Windows.

LandR

I tried a different monitor, one that is a higher resolution and plugged it in via DVI, still nothing.

Kuniva

Silver Level Poster
Tried putting the VGA cable directly into the PC and taking out the graphics card? Also did it come with a Windows disk? Also take the CMOS battery out and put it back in after 10 secs, if that still doesn't work try using cmos jumpers. PS Try the battery 1st

LandR

Tried putting the VGA cable directly into the PC and taking out the graphics card? Also did it come with a Windows disk? Also take the CMOS battery out and put it back in after 10 secs, if that still doesn't work try using cmos jumpers. PS Try the battery 1st

It didn't come with a windows disk as I ordered it without an OS.

How do I take the CMOS battery out ? I'm not that comfortable with opening it up.

steaky360

gigabyte-z87m-d3h.jpg

The CMOS battery is just to the left of the CPU socket in this picture.

http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products/xl/186528/gigabyte_z87md3h.jpg (Link to a larger version of that image)

If you do wish to try it yourself, remember to ground yourself before you start touching stuff inside your case. You can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.
The CMOS battery should just come out with a gentle pull, looks like its held in by a retaining clip at the top (relative to the picture) and two plastic lugs at the bottom (relative to the picture).

Take it out for a minute or so, then pop it back in and boot, you may need to reset certain bios settings.

Kuniva

Silver Level Poster
gigabyte-z87m-d3h.jpg

The CMOS battery is just to the left of the CPU socket in this picture.

http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products/xl/186528/gigabyte_z87md3h.jpg (Link to a larger version of that image)

If you do wish to try it yourself, remember to ground yourself before you start touching stuff inside your case. You can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.
The CMOS battery should just come out with a gentle pull, looks like its held in by a retaining clip at the top (relative to the picture) and two plastic lugs at the bottom (relative to the picture).

Take it out for a minute or so, then pop it back in and boot, you may need to reset certain bios settings.

Yes ground yourself, although I've never personally fried anything and I've done some questionable things. There's usually a little metal clip you can pull back with your thumb and it will pop out a side of the battery, if you flick the clip quick enough the battery will probably jump out on it's own, but don't do that.