No more BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleinous

Author Level
So did I, clearly somethign to be learnt here :p

Maybe they mean all the different startup checks that take time to appear on-screen?

Tom DWC

Is this something that can be added via a firmware update or does it require a brand new infrastructure from the ground up?

Tom DWC

Think we'd atleast need a new kind of chip, i.e. no more bios chip?

I guess that would still be a pretty good solution - better than missing out on the upgrade completely anyway.

Sleinous

Author Level
I guess that would still be a pretty good solution - better than missing out on the upgrade completely anyway.

This is what im hoping but I fear it may require a little more than this. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't read too much into it, I'm not sure if the BIOS will be software based, so it can be flashed onto an existing motherboard, or a physical new chip, in which case it cannot.

Sleinous

Author Level
I haven't read too much into it, I'm not sure if the BIOS will be software based, so it can be flashed onto an existing motherboard, or a physical new chip, in which case it cannot.

I read somewhere that the ASUS P5Q already had this new technology incorporated into it. So, maybe it is just a case of flashing it only UEFI prepared mobos?

EDIT

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=130676.0

Someone says here
As you can see there is no support for P55 or X58 chipset, only P45. biggthumbsdown
The development is unfortunately stopped.
I think MSI is now favors Winki.
This is not intended to be a comparison of the two, but as a purchase incentive UEFI is probably too expensive to develop.

^that is for MSI motherboards. Now to find some info on ASUS.

MANY intel motherboards DO have UEFI already as PCS pointed out earlier.

EDIT: Info on ASUS Boards:

Hi S..

Since this is a user Forum, those questions are difficult to answer. You need to contact Asus..

http://asuswiki.asus.com/usaSupport/index.php?title=Main_Page

Regarding EFI, Asus does support it on some P5Q series boards at the present time but from what I have read, is not totally committed to it as yet. Intel is providing some EFI BIOS support as is Gigabyte.

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
hmmm interesting
I thought that boot times relied on your HDD??

They do, but the old school BIOS post etc slows it down a lot. Boot times is something but its all the other features im looking forward to.

Do you think they could release a chip that fits into where the old BIOS chip fitted? I.e. no need to fork out for a new motherboard? Or am I being wayyyy too hopeful? :p

New chip on boards that dont already have it.

I read somewhere that the ASUS P5Q already had this new technology incorporated into it. So, maybe it is just a case of flashing it only UEFI prepared mobos?

EDIT

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=130676.0

Someone says here

^that is for MSI motherboards. Now to find some info on ASUS.

MANY intel motherboards DO have UEFI already as PCS pointed out earlier.

EDIT: Info on ASUS Boards:

Yup, will be a while yet and a new mobo for most of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.