No need for a desktop pc.

Chris42h

I've had my Vortex IX for a week now and have been blown away by its performance. As someone who not only plays games but also uses CAD packages for 3D design and 3D printing I wanted something that could cope with it all, I've not been disappointed. Although it's not perfect.

The good.
Lighter than my previous laptop.
Clear bright screen
Very good performance in games and CAD
Nice feel to the keys
Looks great.

The bad.
Ventilation, the laptop struggles to suck in enough air on a flat surface which leads to.
Noise, with only 50% utilisation the fans wind up, this is compounded by the poor ventilation.
A terrible fingerprint sensor that has only worked successfully once in the time I've had the laptop.

The ugly.
Stickers, I don't want them.
Touchpad position, it's too far to the left.

I fixed the ventilation issue by 3D printing my own stand, which raises the laptop a couple of cm at the back, this also helps reduce the fan noise. As does selecting whisper mode in supported games.

In conclusion, can I live with the negatives? Of course, none of them are any more than minor annoyances. I've already learnt to work around them. Ultimately this is an extremely capable laptop and I am very happy with it.

Attachments

• 20191130_083133.jpg
    20191130_083133.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 211

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the review! :)

I asked for no stickers on my Optimus IV many years ago. Apparently it's part of the licensing deal with Intel, Nvidia, etc. and PCS are required to put them there, whether you want them or not!

Do get a fan-assisted cooling pad. In my experience one or two larger fans are a better investment than four or five smaller fans. Those small and cheap fans seem to fail fairly quickly. An aluminium grid on which the laptop sits retains less heat (and thus provides better cooling) than ones with plastic grids.

I was impressed that you 3D printed your own stand. Now if you can get it to 3D print a fan-assisted one.... :p

Bradden

Bronze Level Poster
I'd love to see the stand.. in fact I'd be interested in buying one for my vortex if possible [emoji16]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Just to say, trading isn't allowed on the forums

Nor is promotion of one's own goods - so if the OP decided to sell their 3d printed goodies on X Marketplace website they couldn't specifically say so here.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Now if you can get it to 3D print a fan-assisted one....
The 3D printed stand is cool (no pun etc).

I suppose the OP could 3d print one with room and mounting holes for a couple of Noctua NF-A12x25. Desktop class cooling for a laptop - almost! :)

Bradden

Bronze Level Poster
Just to say, trading isn't allowed on the forums

Nor is promotion of one's own goods - so if the OP decided to sell their 3d printed goodies on X Marketplace website they couldn't specifically say so here.

Sorry.. didn't mean to break the rules!