No Signal on Monitor

tommar

Hi all,

Received my custom pcbuild today. Took the case panel off, removed the foam insert, couldn't see anything to reconnect, replaced the panel.

The Benq monitor I ordered came with a VGA cable. I set up the monitor with power, so it turns on. Plugged the VGA Cable into the back of the PC and the Monitor, no signal.

Checked inside. Motherboard lights on, graphics card fan spins and case fans spin. Everything seems in working order, but no signal.

Any ideas?

No, I don't have any other cables at the moment. I only have full HDMI cables and the back of the pc is Mini HDMI.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Few things to try:

1. Check the monitor channel, it may be looking for a signal on a different port.
2. Check it's plugged into the graphics card (if you are using one), if it already is, you can try the one on the motherboard as well.
3. Try a different VGA port on the monitor if you have one, or try it on a different screen.
4. Reseat the graphics card (if you have one) and making sure it is firmly connected in its PCIE slot on the motherboard.

If none of this works, please provide your PC spec and may be able to help further.

Rakk

The Awesome
The Benq monitor I ordered came with a VGA cable. I set up the monitor with power, so it turns on. Plugged the VGA Cable into the back of the PC and the Monitor, no signal.

No, I don't have any other cables at the moment. I only have full HDMI cables and the back of the pc is Mini HDMI.

Few things to try:
2. Check it's plugged into the graphics card (if you are using one), if it already is, you can try the one on the motherboard as well.

I'm thinking its this point made by Wozza
At a rough guess and looking at your previous thread you have probably got a Graphics card without a VGA slot and are therefore plugging the cable into the motherboard rather than the graphics card.
You need to plug it into the graphics card, generally it will not work plugged into the motherboard if you have a graphics card - as Wozza said it would be useful to know what spec yo actually got.

If you got the GTX970 as suggested in the last post in your other thread, then it has 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP ports, you can get DVI-VGA convertors if you want to use the VGA cable, or you will be able to get mHDMI-HDMI convertors if you want to use the HDMI cable instead

Last edited:

tommar

Hi there. Looking at your advice, I think my VGA cable is plugged into my mobo, not my graphics card; which doesn't have a VGA slot.

If I pick up a mini-hdmi to hdmi cable and plug it into the graphics card to the monitor, will I be sailing?

tommar

I'm thinking its this point made by Wozza
At a rough guess and looking at your previous thread you have probably got a Graphics card without a VGA slot and are therefore plugging the cable into the motherboard rather than the graphics card.
You need to plug it into the graphics card, generally it will not work plugged into the motherboard if you have a graphics card - as Wozza said it would be useful to know what spec yo actually got.

If you got the GTX970 as suggested in the last post in your other thread, then it has 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP ports, you can get DVI-VGA convertors if you want to use the VGA cable, or you will be able to get mHDMI-HDMI convertors if you want to use the HDMI cable instead

That's what I surmised. Cheers!

tommar

UPDATE: Still no luck, just an increasingly foul mood having spent another £20.

The mini HDMI fits into the GPU 970's outlet, and the hdmi end plugs into the Benq monitor. However, even when set to HDMI channel, it tells me 'HDMI No Cable Connected'. It doesn't come up with 'No Signal' any more, I just get the same blue screen telling me I have no hdmi cable connected.

Is it possible that the GPU isn't transmitting somehow, perhaps something isn't plugged in... Although the fan spins?

Feeling hugely frustrated.

tommar

Please try another screen and also try reseating the graphics card inside the case.

I do not have another screen to try, this is my only monitor. However, I tried plugging it into my laptop with a HDMI cable, and it worked immediately, thus it is not a monitor problem, though it could be the mini-HDMI Cable, which is doubtful as it's new out of the packet.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Seems like its the graphics card is the issue. Please re-seat your graphics card in the machine and make sure it is securely connected in the PCIE slot and firmly in place. Also ensure that 2 wires are plugged in properly on the top of the card to the 6 or 8 pin sockets (like the image below).

msi970-4b.jpg

tommar

I will try that, thanks Wozza. Unfortunately, I'm also back to square one, as the mHDMI to HDMI cable that I bought earlier tore off in the socket as I took it out (totally safely, may I add); so I'm not sure whether that means it was broken or damaged out of the packet, to have broken so quickly. A friend is popping over later, hopefully with a DVI to try reseat and try out.

Thanks for your continued help, hopefully I'll get it working soon.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Well it breaking so soon you can probably get away with getting a refund for it being faulty.

Keep us updated!