No WiFi on Recoil IV

Paddy Baxter

Bronze Level Poster
Just got the laptop today, installed windows 10 and I cant get wifi working. I installed all the drivers on my download page but still no luck. Tried device manager and no wireless device shows up. Any ideas?

Charlas

Enthusiast
Is there a shortcut keyboard combination for enabling it, or setting airplane mode? If so press that.

Charlas

Enthusiast
You could have technically 'force loaded' one of the Intel standard drivers, that's all the killer cards are, Intel cards with special driver, so the Intel drivers do work, just none of the 'special' features will work, but would have been enough to get it working. Some of the Dell laptops with killer cards have the same issue, only reason I know.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Got an ethernet. All good now, any other laptop I've done a fresh windows install on always had the wifi card working by default so this threw me off. well, that's my excuse anyway...
It won't always be like that, it's just cos it's a newer chassis and the basic drivers haven't been added to the windows catalogue yet, give it a few months and it should install automatically.

Charlas

Enthusiast
Worth remembering you can 'slipstream' drivers into the usb for builds (I have it for a bunch of my ancillary stuff) and as long as you update the core os regularly ish it makes for a much easier re install

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Or for the less technical peeps, you can follow my stock advice and make sure that the Windows installer USB stick has the network and possibly chipset drivers installers copied across.

Experience can be a bitter mistress. :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Worth remembering you can 'slipstream' drivers into the usb for builds (I have it for a bunch of my ancillary stuff) and as long as you update the core os regularly ish it makes for a much easier re install
Slipstreaming was very useful in the Windows 7 days when we had service packs, one could build an install ISO with the latest service pack integrated, saving installing base Windows 7 and then having to install the service pack as an update, and on a relatively slow Internet link. TBH I no longer see the point with Windows 10, two upgrades a year and fast(er) Internet links make it less attractive IMO.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Slipstreaming was very useful in the Windows 7 days when we had service packs, one could build an install ISO with the latest service pack integrated, saving installing base Windows 7 and then having to install the service pack as an update, and on a relatively slow Internet link. TBH I no longer see the point with Windows 10, two upgrades a year and fast(er) Internet links make it less attractive IMO.

I'd agree with that.

Although if you have Enterprise or Education versions, MS now differ the support life based on when you installed it: September versions give 30 months of support and March 18 months.

They've just played around with their servicing branches and I was hoping they'd introduce the same for Pro but they haven't.

Charlas

Enthusiast
I'll be honest I slipstream what I know the machines need, be a use I kick it off and walk away do something else, come back when windows and all the apps are installed, got gig at home, but it's still a whole lot quicker if pulling from the net is reduced to minimum, but not many people rebuild there machines as often as I'm 'lucky' enough to have to 😂