Noisy Fan on AMD Ryzen 5 3600

adryou

I have just received my new PC and the first thing I noticed was a noisy fan. Having investigated, it seems to be the AMD fan. Whenever it speeds up it makes a horrible noise, almost like it's grinding slightly. Having researched the internet, it appears this fan is simply just noisy. It's a horrible sound, so I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this? I've read that many just replace the fan?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have just received my new PC and the first thing I noticed was a noisy fan. Having investigated, it seems to be the AMD fan. Whenever it speeds up it makes a horrible noise, almost like it's grinding slightly. Having researched the internet, it appears this fan is simply just noisy. It's a horrible sound, so I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this? I've read that many just replace the fan?
That’s not normal if it grinding, have you checked there are no cables or anything obstructing the fan? That sounds like either a bad bearing or something causing an obstruction.

it’s certainly not normal.

adryou

That’s not normal if it grinding, have you checked there are no cables or anything obstructing the fan? That sounds like either a bad bearing or something causing an obstruction.

it’s certainly not normal.

As far as I can see, all cables are neatly away from the fan and nothing seems to be obstructing anything. I'm now uploading a video for you

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hmmmm, yeah, totally see where you're coming from.... that's not great.

Firstly, big apologies, I recommended you take the stock cooler, but will be amending that advice going forwards! That's really pretty poor.

Very first thing I'd do is log it with PCS and say that you'd like to fit an aftermarket cooler, just so they're aware.

How are you at fitting a cooler, is it something you've done before? It's very easy especially if it come pre-pasted. Reason I'm asking is it may be worth giving PCS a call tomorrow and seeing if they'd ship you maybe a Corsair H80i if you had the budget for it. I wouldn't go under the H80i personally, the H60 isn't a great cooler at the best of times.

Of course, you can source your own from Amazon or wherever also. PCS do an open chassis policy so you can upgrade parts without affecting warranty. If you need any help, we can talk you through.

A lot of coolers now come pre applied with thermal paste, all the corsair AIO's do. If it doesn't come with paste pre applied, then you'll need a stick of paste, I'd recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut which is superb and not very expensive, also available from Amazon.

If you prefer air coolers, any of the noctua heatsinks are pretty incredible and the fans are the quietest ones available.

If you're at all hesitant, then you could adjust the fan profile to reduce the speed of the fan, but that's not a solution really and certainly not ideal regarding temperatures, I wouldn't really recommend that.

adryou

Hmmmm, yeah, totally see where you're coming from.... that's not great.

Firstly, big apologies, I recommended you take the stock cooler, but will be amending that advice going forwards! That's really pretty poor.

Very first thing I'd do is log it with PCS and say that you'd like to fit an aftermarket cooler, just so they're aware.

How are you at fitting a cooler, is it something you've done before? It's very easy especially if it come pre-pasted. Reason I'm asking is it may be worth giving PCS a call tomorrow and seeing if they'd ship you maybe a Corsair H80i if you had the budget for it. I wouldn't go under the H80i personally, the H60 isn't a great cooler at the best of times.

Of course, you can source your own from Amazon or wherever also. PCS do an open chassis policy so you can upgrade parts without affecting warranty. If you need any help, we can talk you through.

A lot of coolers now come pre applied with thermal paste, all the corsair AIO's do. If it doesn't come with paste pre applied, then you'll need a stick of paste, I'd recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut which is superb and not very expensive, also available from Amazon.

If you prefer air coolers, any of the noctua heatsinks are pretty incredible and the fans are the quietest ones available.

If you're at all hesitant, then you could adjust the fan profile to reduce the speed of the fan, but that's not a solution really and certainly not ideal regarding temperatures, I wouldn't really recommend that.

Thank you - good to hear it's not just me being picky!

I've never changed anything on a PC before - however, looking at how my one is installed, it looks to be a simple process?

I've emailed PCS and linked the video. I just cant imagine that this is 'normal', it sounds horrible. I'm looking to do some podcast type recording but I can't whilst the fan is making this noise!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you - good to hear it's not just me being picky!

I've never changed anything on a PC before - however, looking at how my one is installed, it looks to be a simple process?

I've emailed PCS and linked the video. I just cant imagine that this is 'normal', it sounds horrible. I'm looking to do some podcast type recording but I can't whilst the fan is making this noise!
They may well say it needs swapping out and that it's not normal, but from a quick search on the web, mostly reddit, there are a lot of people reporting the same thing.

Yeah, if you're doing any kind of audio work that's not going to be acceptable.

Replacing the cooler is fairly straightforward:

1/. The cooler fan will be plugged into the motherboard, just unplug the fan header.

2/. Remove the side panel from the case to expose the back of the motherboard where the cooler mount is and unscrew and remove the current cooler.

3/. You'll need to wipe the existing paste off of the CPU. Best practice is to use some Isopropyl alcohol and a cotton wool bud or piece of kitchen paper:

4/. Apply a small pea sized amount of Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut into the center of the CPU die, you don't need to spread it or anything, the force of mounting the cooler should spread it fine. If the cooler comes pre applied you can skip this step:

5/. Attach the mounting bracket of the new cooler from the back side of the motherboard and from the other side mount the heatsink and screw it down finger tight first of all, then tighten fairly firmly from oposing corners. If it's an AIO watercooler, then you'd need to mount the radiator somewhere in the case, usually the roof or the rear exhaust.

6/. Then attach any fan headers to the CPU fan header where you unplugged from in step 1. If it's an AIO, there may well be a pump header on the motherboard (most motherboards now have a pump header), just plug the pump header connector into this.

7/. To be certain it's all working ok, install HWMonitor and monitor temps when idle and under load and make sure temps are within expected ranges:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Everything I have read on that cooler says it's near silent. I would argue that it's from a bad batch of fans.

If you raised the case with PCS I'm sure they will check a new 3600 build with stock fan and report back. If that's typical then I'll certainly not be recommending the 3600 without an aftermarket cooler from now on.