Non PCS Laptop Problem

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I don't really like asking this in here as this is in regards to a non PCS laptop, but with the knowledge you lads have of laptops you were the first stop for me. I completely understand if no help is offered as of course this is nothing to do with PCS whatsoever.

A bloke has asked for help with his laptop, he was complaining that he couldn't find his Radeon 8750M in his Device Manager which I think was down to the switchable graphics on the laptop. Some bright spark told him to disable his integrated graphics from the BIOS which he has done and of course now can't get a picture at all, the only way I can think for him to put it right is to reset the CMOS which he doesn't want to do as opening the chassis will void his warranty. I don't think there is, but if there's any way anybody knows to enable the integrated graphics again without resetting the CMOS I'd be very grateful to hear it. Absolutely no problem if not.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If it's still under warranty why not have him take it back to the store and just complain that it's not working right? Let them sort it.

steaky360

If it's still under warranty why not have him take it back to the store and just complain that it's not working right? Let them sort it.

Bingo :)

They surely can't say "you cant fix it or you'll void the warranty" and then say "we are not going to fix that under warranty" :)

Boozad

Prolific Poster
That's exactly what I suggested, not sure why he doesn't want to go down that route as I don't know him, but given he installed Windows 7 Ultimate on it as soon as he got it I'm presuming it's a counterfeit copy. That's all guesswork on my part though.

steaky360

That's exactly what I suggested, not sure why he doesn't want to go down that route as I don't know him, but given he installed Windows 7 Ultimate on it as soon as he got it I'm presuming it's a counterfeit copy. That's all guesswork on my part though.

Would that constitute voiding the warranty? I'm assuming the company wouldn't know that it was/might be a counterfeit copy.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I'm not sure about it voiding the warranty, it may well do, but normally I find people with counterfeit software are petrified to return to manufacturer in case they get found out. If the manufacturers are savvy enough and have people who can read MGDiag reports they can verify if the install is counterfeit within seconds.

steaky360

That is true, but I don't know if they actually 'would' do that.

Moot point though, if your mate is petrified to send it back incase he gets 'found out' (or something like that lol) then opening the case to reset the CMOS and voiding the warranty won't be an issue :)

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Oh he's not my mate, I don't know him from Adam, I was just trying to help out someone I know who was trying to help someone else if you know what I mean. As far as I can see the bloke who owns the laptop has made two very stupid moves (one definitely, I'm guessing at the other one) and doesn't have many options at all.

steaky360

Oh he's not my mate, I don't know him from Adam, I was just trying to help out someone I know who was trying to help someone else if you know what I mean. As far as I can see the bloke who owns the laptop has made two very stupid moves (one definitely, I'm guessing at the other one) and doesn't have many options at all.

Ah right, yeah I guess I was using the term 'mate' incorrectly :). Still, just open the bugger up and reset the CMOS, use big technical terminology to explain what you did that doesn't involve 'screwdriver' and 'voiding warranty' and I'm sure they wont know...

Or is that immoral?

Stephen M

Author Level
Ah right, yeah I guess I was using the term 'mate' incorrectly :). Still, just open the bugger up and reset the CMOS, use big technical terminology to explain what you did that doesn't involve 'screwdriver' and 'voiding warranty' and I'm sure they wont know...

Or is that immoral?

Immoral or not, it is a bloody good idea.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
If he's too afraid to take it back to the manufacturer then he should have no issues voiding his warranty as it sounds like he's never going to use it anyway.