Note about Memory Configurations with Zen3 - 4 RAM sticks seemingly better than 2

snappyhappy2015

I am not too bothered about games though I do play them on occasion mainly FPS games. I do a fair amount of high bitrate 4K video editing { with and eye on higher res gear in the future] and a lot of photo editing. I assume , that more ram say 64GB of 3200mhz will outperform 32GB of 3600mhz for my usage scenario. I have opted for a Ryzen 9 5950X , 6800xt , 64GB 3200hz, with 2 500GB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I am not too bothered about games though I do play them on occasion mainly FPS games. I do a fair amount of high bitrate 4K video editing { with and eye on higher res gear in the future] and a lot of photo editing. I assume , that more ram say 64GB of 3200mhz will outperform 32GB of 3600mhz for my usage scenario. I have opted for a Ryzen 9 5950X , 6800xt , 64GB 3200hz, with 2 500GB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4
I would recommend getting some advice on your build.

snappyhappy2015

What would you suggest ? I am coming from a { PCspecalist } i7 6700, 32GB ram, 1070gtx, two Samsung m.2 drives system. So it will be quite a jump whatever I do. Looking at Puget systems/passmark benchmarks the 5950x is as good as it gets for a mainstream desktop CPU. I play enough games to justify { to myself :)} the 6800xt while the Nvidia cards do have some encoding advantages going forward I think the 16gb of VRAM will come into play more. I am not bothered about ray tracing. The 2 x 520's are overkill but within my budget.Video editing { Premiere, After effects etc} can use a fair chunk of video.I have several TB of NAS storage already.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What would you suggest ? I am coming from a { PCspecalist } i7 6700, 32GB ram, 1070gtx, two Samsung m.2 drives system. So it will be quite a jump whatever I do. Looking at Puget systems/passmark benchmarks the 5950x is as good as it gets for a mainstream desktop CPU. I play enough games to justify { to myself :)} the 6800xt while the Nvidia cards do have some encoding advantages going forward I think the 16gb of VRAM will come into play more. I am not bothered about ray tracing. The 2 x 520's are overkill but within my budget.Video editing { Premiere, After effects etc} can use a fair chunk of video.I have several TB of NAS storage already.
You'll need to create your own thread in the check this spec section.

snappyhappy2015

I am ok with my other choices , I was only interested in the memory question I have watched both the GN and HU videos and they seem some what contradictory . So my question is related directly to this topic. Will 4x16gb 3200hz be better or worse than 4x8gb 3600hz as PCS do not have a 64gb 3600hz option for mainly production and a dash of gaming. Apologies to the OP if I drifted too far off base

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I am ok with my other choices , I was only interested in the memory question I have watched both the GN and HU videos and they seem some what contradictory . So my question is related directly to this topic. Will 4x16gb 3200hz be better or worse than 4x8gb 3600hz as PCS do not have a 64gb 3600hz option for mainly production and a dash of gaming. Apologies to the OP if I drifted too far off base
I would still strongly recommend getting advice... are you sure the VRM's are sufficient for the CPU? Are you sure the case is enough? CPU cooler?

JJM

I think it's logic. Is it better to have 4 roads to reach one big city, or is better to have only two.
Frequency also is mere logic, is better that your cars goes 100 mph or is better 110?

It would be even better with integrated cards

Umpf sorry for the "up"

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I think it's logic. Is it better to have 4 roads to reach one big city, or is better to have only two.
Frequency also is mere logic, is better that your cars goes 100 mph or is better 110?

It would be even better with integrated cards

Umpf sorry for the "up"

That's not how it works unfortunately. There are only 2 roads to the big city (using simplified logic), only one channel can be in use at any one time. The memory controller switches between the channels at rapid pace.

Therefore.... there are times when there is a slow down as you're waiting on the lane being switched.

If the memory is timed well and the memory IC is up to snuff then this can be negated and this is when you will see the benefit as the RAM being switched to is ready to go, with no clock cycle delay.

There are a lot of things to consider with RAM and there is no immediately right option. It comes down completely to uses and importance of squeezing out every drop of performance. In gaming I don't think anyone would ever notice but in production finishing your job at 4pm instead of 4.30 could make all the difference for traffic.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's not how it works unfortunately. There are only 2 roads to the big city (using simplified logic), only one channel can be in use at any one time. The memory controller switches between the channels at rapid pace.

Therefore.... there are times when there is a slow down as you're waiting on the lane being switched.

If the memory is timed well and the memory IC is up to snuff then this can be negated and this is when you will see the benefit as the RAM being switched to is ready to go, with no clock cycle delay.

There are a lot of things to consider with RAM and there is no immediately right option. It comes down completely to uses and importance of squeezing out every drop of performance. In gaming I don't think anyone would ever notice but in production finishing your job at 4pm instead of 4.30 could make all the difference for traffic.
Additionally, it differs from memory controller version on the motherboard, to memory double data rate version.

It's not consistent from one generation to another.