Nova 15.6 Overheating CPU

demon28

Bronze Level Poster
Hello Everyone,

Today I finally received my Nova laptop. Its a beast of a machine and the Ryzen 5 3600+ 144hz + 2070 combo is so good. I am worried though by the fact that it runs pretty toasty. A game of overwatch made my cpu shoot up to 95 degrees celcius , considering its not even a demanding task I got pretty worried. Ive run cinebench r20 and again I got similarly ridiculous temperatures. The fans spins like a jet engine and I get pretty severe jumps in temperature ( like cpu temp jumps from 80 to 90 in one sec? perhaps a censor issue?). Average idle temps range from mid 50 to low-mid 70s.

I was running stock ryzen master settings/entertainment mode in CCC when I got those temps. Im considering 3 things at the moment, Undervolting - lowering the clock speeds and repasting (I have a kryonaut arriving soon)

I am not really experienced with Ryzen master, applying a manual profile with 3.6ghz max clock-1.35v Peak core voltage seems to raise my PPT to 1000W. That scared me a bit so I reverted back. Is it normal for Ryzen master to display a 1000w PPT at manual settings?
Any other suggestions that might help with the temperature? I would consider sending it back to PCS but I am in the process of moving houses so It's not an ideal time for me.

Forgot to add, GPU runs fine. Seems to be a CPU only issue

All Best,
Orestis

Last edited:

cg.stefan.this

Hello Everyone,

Today I finally received my Nova laptop. Its a beast of a machine and the Ryzen 5 3600+ 144hz + 2070 combo is so good. I am worried though by the fact that it runs pretty toasty. A game of overwatch made my cpu shoot up to 95 degrees celcius , considering its not even a demanding task I got pretty worried. Ive run cinebench r20 and again I got similarly ridiculous temperatures. The fans spins like a jet engine and I get pretty severe jumps in temperature ( like cpu temp jumps from 80 to 90 in one sec? perhaps a censor issue?). Average idle temps range from mid 50 to low-mid 70s.

I was running stock ryzen master settings/entertainment mode in CCC when I got those temps. Im considering 3 things at the moment, Undervolting - lowering the clock speeds and repasting (I have a kryonaut arriving soon)

I am not really experienced with Ryzen master, applying a manual profile with 3.6ghz max clock-1.35v Peak core voltage seems to raise my PPT to 1000W. That scared me a bit so I reverted back. Is it normal for Ryzen master to display a 1000w PPT at manual settings?
Any other suggestions that might help with the temperature? I would consider sending it back to PCS but I am in the process of moving houses so It's not an ideal time for me.

Forgot to add, GPU runs fine. Seems to be a CPU only issue

All Best,
Orestis
Are those temps coming from Ryzen Master or a third party software?
I'm also considering undervolting mine but I don't really know how to use Ryzen master properly. For now, I disabled the turbo boost by setting the max processing state at 99% in the windows power options. I've lost 10 to 15C that way while gaming. (it's a Ryzen 3700x model)

demon28

Bronze Level Poster
Are those temps coming from Ryzen Master or a third party software?
I'm also considering undervolting mine but I don't really know how to use Ryzen master properly. For now, I disabled the turbo boost by setting the max processing state at 99% in the windows power options. I've lost 10 to 15C that way while gaming. (it's a Ryzen 3700x model)
Hey,
I get the same results from a variety of software incluiding HWmonitor, Ryzen master and CCC. All of them report the same sudden spikes in temperature as well.
It's my first time having a Ryzen CPU so I am still getting around to knowing the software and making sure I don't do something stupid.
How are your temperatures looking? Have you re-pasted your laptop?
Ill try to do the power options trick. I did not know it worked for Ryzen CPU's as well. Thanks a lot :)

cg.stefan.this

Hey,
I get the same results from a variety of software incluiding HWmonitor, Ryzen master and CCC. All of them report the same sudden spikes in temperature as well.
It's my first time having a Ryzen CPU so I am still getting around to knowing the software and making sure I don't do something stupid.
How are your temperatures looking? Have you re-pasted your laptop?
Ill try to do the power options trick. I did not know it worked for Ryzen CPU's as well. Thanks a lot :)
I didn't re-pasted it for now but if I see an increase in temperatures, I will.
When I use stock settings in full performance mode, I can have spikes at 85-90C. But I think we shouldn't take the spikes in consideration too much. Ryzen master shows a more accurate temperature than third party softwares which are using an other reading method. I see a significant 10C difference between RM and the other softwares. HW64info is the only one showing both methods.
With the power options tweaked, I have similar performance in game and temps around 70-75C but I will run a benchmark with Cinebench to see the difference between the two in terms of performance.
I'm curious how more efficient it could get by undervolting a bit, but I'd like a more expert advise before to try it as I don't even know what is the default voltage.

demon28

Bronze Level Poster
I just tried the power management trick. It worked like a charm, maximum temperature during cinebench r20 was 73 as the cpu remained at 3.6ghz. My score dropped by 100 points which is a performance compromise I am fine with at the moment until I can find a permanent solution to the issue. I think repasting and perhaps some light voltage tweaking will help me get good temperatures without compromising performance so much. Another user in this forum mentioned a 10C difference after repasting his NOVA. He said that his thermal paste was completely dried out so I am suspecting that this is what we might be dealing with.

I do take spikes in consideration because they were in the high 90s and my cpu was hanging around those temperatures constantly during stress tests.
I have undervolted my previous optimus VI and it did offer significant temperature improvements. That cpu I had then though was known to run really hot and undervolting was the final step in the process of tweaking the laptop. I don't think I will bother with that just yet as I first wanna repaste before undervolting.
I am pretty sure peak core voltage on the 3600 is 1.375V ( or atleast that is what my ryzen master says). It is a fairly safe process but I am still going to research it a bit more as Its my first AMD cpu and I do not know how well they handle undervolting. I will keep you posted if I find something else

danhar827

Hey guys, bit of an AMD/CPU fiddling noob.

Anyone mind going through the "power management tricks" in layman's terms so I can have a go myself?

Following the other thread, got some grizzly kryonaut on the way to see how that plays out!

j.conquer

Similar build and issue. I tested a profile undervolting to 1.125 vs the stock of 1.2375 and its dropped temperatures pretty well. Under a 15% CPU load its mid 60s. I'm expecting a cooling pad today as well so will experiment a little further. The aspiration is to keep it below 80 in a gaming setting but we'll have to see.

demon28

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys, bit of an AMD/CPU fiddling noob.

Anyone mind going through the "power management tricks" in layman's terms so I can have a go myself?

Following the other thread, got some grizzly kryonaut on the way to see how that plays out!
Hey, So go into Power and sleep options -> Additional power settings-> click on change plan settings(of your active power plan) ->change advance power settings->Processor power management->Maximum processor state and set it to 99% for both options. Note that your processor will not turbo boost after this.

demon28

Bronze Level Poster
Similar build and issue. I tested a profile undervolting to 1.125 vs the stock of 1.2375 and its dropped temperatures pretty well. Under a 15% CPU load its mid 60s. I'm expecting a cooling pad today as well so will experiment a little further. The aspiration is to keep it below 80 in a gaming setting but we'll have to see.
Nice to hear that undervolting worked for you. Which CPU are you running? Have you changed any of the clock speeds. If not then what is the maximum clocks you get with the undervolt?
Do you have to select the manual control mode to change the voltage in Ryzen Master? Every time I change to manual Ryzen master displays my PPT as 1000W. Is that the cases with yours too?
Sorry to bombard you with questions, I am just trying to figure this out and there isn't too much information for the Nova as its pretty new.

j.conquer

Nice to hear that undervolting worked for you. Which CPU are you running? Have you changed any of the clock speeds. If not then what is the maximum clocks you get with the undervolt?
Do you have to select the manual control mode to change the voltage in Ryzen Master? Every time I change to manual Ryzen master displays my PPT as 1000W. Is that the cases with yours too?
Sorry to bombard you with questions, I am just trying to figure this out and there isn't too much information for the Nova as its pretty new.

Yes I just used the manual settings and only reduced the voltage setting on one profile, leaving the cores at 3600 cycles. This is on the 3600 variant of the Nova.

I didn't change the PPT. You can do this in the Auto Overclocking section but I don't want to piss around too much if its going to cost me performance.

Cinebench raised temps to a high of 84 degrees on full CPU load. Idling at around 58. I'll play around a little more and see if I can keep it there whilst increasing score, especially with the cooling pad.

demon28

Bronze Level Poster
Yes I just used the manual settings and only reduced the voltage setting on one profile, leaving the cores at 3600 cycles. This is on the 3600 variant of the Nova.

I didn't change the PPT. You can do this in the Auto Overclocking section but I don't want to piss around too much if its going to cost me performance.

Cinebench raised temps to a high of 84 degrees on full CPU load. Idling at around 58. I'll play around a little more and see if I can keep it there whilst increasing score, especially with the cooling pad.
Thank you for your reply, this is really helpful.
I wasn't clear enough on what i meant. Just by activating a manual profile my PPT shows up as 1000W in the home page of Ryzen Master. Is that the case with you?
What results are your currently getting in cinebench R20? Could you update us with the results after your run your tests?

Many Thanks

cg.stefan.this

I think the biggest problem with this laptop is the fans control. They really have to tweak that because it's not suitable for a laptop and the fans keep going up and down. If anyone has custom fan curves to share, I'll take it.

demon28

Bronze Level Poster
After changing the power settings my fans have been very quiet while gaming and kept my temperatures around 75 celcius. That is using the automatic fan mode. What fan mode are you using in CCC?
I think the biggest problem with this laptop is the fans control. They really have to tweak that because it's not suitable for a laptop and the fans keep going up and down. If anyone has custom fan curves to share, I'll take it.

j.conquer

I wasn't clear enough on what i meant. Just by activating a manual profile my PPT shows up as 1000W in the home page of Ryzen Master. Is that the case with you?

Yes thats exactly what I'm seeing.

What results are your currently getting in cinebench R20? Could you update us with the results after your run your tests?

Many Thanks

3149 on my undervolted profile. Interestingly thats actually higher than the default which was coming in hotter.

The Gamer mode looks like it underclocks the cores down to 3542 and undervolts to 1.05. Running that in cinebench only gets up to about 75 degrees but drops 100 on the score. I don't know if I'm planning on playing anything that will use the full load but I'll give FFXIV a whirl in my profile and in gamer mode and see where we end up.

cg.stefan.this

After changing the power settings my fans have been very quiet while gaming and kept my temperatures around 75 celcius. That is using the automatic fan mode. What fan mode are you using in CCC?
Yes, it's all right for gaming. I was talking more of idle mode or doing pretty light tasks.
So you did the power option change to 99% in performance mode right ? Did you switch to the Ryzen AMD Balanced mode to do so?
I'm actually surprised I don't see any performance mode in plans in windows but only balanced options and power saving.

demon28

Bronze Level Poster
Yes, it's all right for gaming. I was talking more of idle mode or doing pretty light tasks.
So you did the power option change to 99% in performance mode right ? Did you switch to the Ryzen AMD Balanced mode to do so?
It doesn't quite matter which mode you use. I am using the Ryzen balanced profile with 99% maximum processor state

j.conquer

So between the cooling pad and the undervolt I think the CPU issue is solved even under gaming load.

The bigger issue is the fans going 100% for the GPU even if the temps aren't getting too high. Its not the worst thing in the world but its fairly noticeable.