Nova 15.6

j.conquer

Do you use a cooling pad? After mine failed QA due to temperatures I'm thinking I'll probably need to take any and all measures to help with cooling.

JosDea

Do you use a cooling pad? After mine failed QA due to temperatures I'm thinking I'll probably need to take any and all measures to help with cooling.

Yes using a cheap 120mm fan cooling pad.

Considering a return though as PBO doesn't function due to software locking in the firmware. Didn't spend 2k on a laptop to have hardware features locked away.

cg.stefan.this

Yes using a cheap 120mm fan cooling pad.

Considering a return though as PBO doesn't function due to software locking in the firmware. Didn't spend 2k on a laptop to have hardware features locked away.
This is a brand new chassis. The XMG Apex 15 is the same model and they were talking about unlocking advanced controls short after the release, if it helps. I'm not sure how we will know about a BIOS update for ours though.

JosDea

This is a brand new chassis. The XMG Apex 15 is the same model and they were talking about unlocking advanced controls short after the release, if it helps. I'm not sure how we will know about a BIOS update for ours though.

It's not acceptable from a trading standards point of view though. Such limitations should be clearly advertised during the sale of a product as it is a feature of the AMD processor in question.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's not acceptable from a trading standards point of view though. Such limitations should be clearly advertised during the sale of a product as it is a feature of the AMD processor in question.
Then write to PCS and complain.

JosDea

Then write to PCS and complain.

Already have done, that's how I found out officially that it has been locked down.

My reply to them has been to explain why I am unhappy and that such restrictions have to be clearly disclosed.

Also requested the non locked down bios which I know exists :)

The rationale was that the laptops are only designed for a 65w tdp so PBO is disabled.

However the ppt is set to 88w which means it's already out of spec anyway a marginal increase to 95w ppt would net a decent uplift in multithread performance.

For example this is what 95 ppt in manual mode can acheive with a little bit of voltage optimisation.
2020-06-10 (2).png

Kamilas

Already have done, that's how I found out officially that it has been locked down.

My reply to them has been to explain why I am unhappy and that such restrictions have to be clearly disclosed.

Also requested the non locked down bios which I know exists :)

The rationale was that the laptops are only designed for a 65w tdp so PBO is disabled.

However the ppt is set to 88w which means it's already out of spec anyway a marginal increase to 95w ppt would net a decent uplift in multithread performance.

For example this is what 95 ppt in manual mode can acheive with a little bit of voltage optimisation.
View attachment 16582
I agree it's limitation and should be mentioned somewhere, maybe in detailed description? I see you got blender, may i know how eevee and cycles perform using optix acceleration?