Nova 15 spec advise

AidTra

I have configured a Nova 15 and would like to run some questions by the forum pre-purchase. Specs are as follows:

Chassis & Display
Nova Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 3 3100 Quad Core CPU (3.6GHz-3.9GHz/18MB CACHE/AM4)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)

I have opted for the Ryzen 3 3100 as the Ryzen 5 3600 is unavailable until 12/12/2020. I intend to play games such as RDR 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 to very high graphic settings. That said, is it worth waiting for the Ryzen 5 or will the Ryzen 3 suffice? I have also opted here for the RTX 2070, but I'm wondering if the extra £100 is worth it over the RTX 2060. Finally, I've went for a sole PCS M.2 SSD drive as some research has suggested that more expensive SSDs really aren't worth it. Let me know what you think! and if I'm talking complete pish - tell me :)

Alternative option is to buy a:

***Removed competitor link*** Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 2070, 1 TB SSD

For around £150 more or so, 2 pence on this option would also be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The Nova isn't a laptop, it's a DTR which means it uses desktop processors, as such it has really poor battery life (around 1 hour) and is a lot heavier than a laptop. It's designed to be always plugged into the mains and not really portable.

So long as you understand that before you proceed.

The 3600 would be the minimum I'd go for for gaming. Either that or the 3700x, I wouldn't go below that at 1080p. At lower resolutions, there's more reliance on the CPU.

On any mobile device, you can't upgrade the GPU and that will be the first bottleneck, so you spec it as high as possible.

More expensive SSD's tend to have faster speeds, the best performing SSD is the Samsung. It's well worth it, about double the speeds of the PCS one.

We can't advise on competitor builds I'm afraid, but the one you linked is a laptop rather than a DTR, so not a fair comparison.