NOVA 15" - Unable to change the screen brightness (Possible fix)

FerrariVie

Super Star
Yeah, got my Nova yesterday and the same issue with the brightness was there, right out of the box. Reinstalled windows and it didn't help, so opened a support ticket with PCS. The BIOS and EC versions that came with the laptop are:
BIOS: 1.07.04TPCS
EC: 1.07.02

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
Yeah, got my Nova yesterday and the same issue with the brightness was there, right out of the box. Reinstalled windows and it didn't help, so opened a support ticket with PCS. The BIOS and EC versions that came with the laptop are:
BIOS: 1.07.04TPCS
EC: 1.07.02

Strange, I’ve never had any issues on my Nova with screen brightness. Guessing it may be a specific batch of panels used or a certain video controller chip

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
Strange, I’ve never had any issues on my Nova with screen brightness. Guessing it may be a specific batch of panels used or a certain video controller chip

It's most definitely the panels that are on these DTR's, combined with the 2070 Refresh

FerrariVie

Super Star
I think it's happening with everyone with the panda panel, my nova has it. Reference: LM156LF-1F02

Last edited:

lauwai

Bronze Level Poster
I received my Nova last week and had the same problem with the screen brightness. Called them up on Friday afternoon and the support guy said he would email the person responsible for sending out bios updates and get him to check and send me an updated bios if available.

Received email today from PCS with bios zip file and instructions. 5mins later all done and screen brightness means I can take of the Oakleys now whilst typing this. I received bios version 1.07.07 It doesn't have the PCS splash screen on when it posts though. It shows Style PC which I can live with.

All in all, decent 1st experience of post sales support from PCS.

Last edited:

FerrariVie

Super Star
I also got an email today from PCS with the file and authorisation to flash the new BIOS 1.07.07. The brightness control is back 🥳, but the ugly "Style Note" logo is now there on every boot 🙄

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I also got an email today from PCS with the file and authorisation to flash the new BIOS 1.07.07. The brightness control is back 🥳, but the ugly "Style Note" logo is now there on every boot 🙄
Don't look then! :ROFLMAO:

hogfish

Bronze Level Poster
Does anyone know if PCS are shipping new machines with the latest bios, or is it still left to the customer to reflash?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Does anyone know if PCS are shipping new machines with the latest bios, or is it still left to the customer to reflash?
I understand they ship with the katest BIOS available at the time of build. Be aware that if you want to flash any other BIOS, you need PCS's consent in order to keep your warranty.

hogfish

Bronze Level Poster
Good to hear. Meanwhile, I forgot to ask:
has anyone looked in /sys/class/backlight/? I would expect the kernel to know about the
backlight and expose it somewhere like that. I hope that doesn't go via the bios, but I suppose that it could do.