Nova 15" vs Optimus PRO 17"

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
Hi people,

I have a quick question. I really would like to order a laptop very soon and I am hesitating between two models (regardless their availability). Both cost ~1200€.
  1. NOVA 15" - Ryzen 5 3600
  2. Optimus PRO 17" - Ryzen 7
Considering the same RAM, RTX 2060, same storage etc.
The prices are very similar but the PRO 17", on the paper, seems much better.
Am I missing something ? What would you choose ?

Chassis & Display
Nova Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB INTEL® 665p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 2000MB/sR | 1925MB/sW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Nova Series Detachable 4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.2 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
15" NOVA SERIES BELGIAN KEYBOARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
US International/USA - US English Language
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Chassis
Clevo NH55ADY (6GB RTX-2060, 144Hz N7, Blank KB)

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 4800H EightCore CPU (2.9GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB INTEL® 665p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 2000MB/sR | 1925MB/sW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (Full Size SD / SDHC / SDXC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 150W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf European Power Cable
Battery
Optimus Series Integrated 46WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
OPTIMUS SERIES RGB BACKLIT BELGIAN KEYBOARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
US International/USA - US English Language
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Chassis
TongFang GK7MRFR (144Hz, Blank KB)

Last edited:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Post the full specs for both laptops as per the link below & i'm sure someone will explain

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks, I updated the first post but I couldn't proceed for the PRO 17" as some components are out of stock. I edited myself but it should be correct.
At the end the question is: Clevo vs Tongfang ?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks, I updated the first post but I couldn't proceed for the PRO 17" as some components are out of stock. I edited myself but it should be correct.
At the end the question is: Clevo vs Tongfang ?
They're two entirely different products, the Nova is a DTR (desktop replacement) so has desktop CPU's, isn't designed to be portable, has poor battery life (around 1Hr).

The Optimus is a laptop, so much less powerful from a CPU and cooling standpoint.

If you're ok with the trade offs of a DTR, then there's no competition, the Nova wins every time.

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
Oh, I wasn't aware of this. Thank you very much.
I really don't care about the battery, I don't even remember the last time I used my current laptop without the cable.
So the main drawback is the battery? I still plan to move it every week.
I believe the Nova will last longer than the Optimus, to right?

And last question, I compared the benchmark of the Ryzen 5 3600 desktop vs Ryzen 7 4800H mobile and the 7 has a better score. Is the performance of the CPU more important than the DTR chassis?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh, I wasn't aware of this.
I really don't care about the battery, I don't even remember the last time I used my current laptop without the cable.
So the main drawback is the battery? I still plan to move it every week.
I believe the Nova will last longer than the Optimus, to right?
That's exactly how I feel. I have an old DTR from 2014 and i still use it every day, it's still perfectly powerful for my daily grind.

Despite the added weight and size and poor battery life, I've still taken it all over the world on planes, trains and cars and never found it an issue. And mine is an absolute brick.

The Nova, while being a pure DTR, is actually still surprisingly sleek and slim IMHO, it's a lovely chassis.

IMHO, so long as you're ok with the trade off's, I would always choose the Nova, it's a great chassis and fantastic price for what you're getting.

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
I edited my previous post before your answer to add an additional question about the CPU and also thank you.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
And last question, I compared the benchmark of the Ryzen 5 3600 desktop vs Ryzen 7 4800H mobile and the 7 has a better score. Is the performance of the CPU more important than the DTR chassis?
Not comparable chips. A fair comparison would be the 3700x vs 4800h. Otherwise they're 2 different tiers.

Also, don't use sites like userbenchmark or cpubenchmark, they're nonsense results, has no relevance to real world performance.

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
I see, as you noticed I am a novice and I only had this comparison. Then I have no idea how to compare the two CPUs... The Pro seems a bit more performant. But the 5 3600 should be enough for what I want to do, I guess. It's so complicated!

Is it the same discussion for the GPU? I read that the desktop RTX 2060 runs better than the laptop version. Which version is it the NoVA?

Last edited:

leebee2110

Bronze Level Poster
I see, as you noticed I am a novice and I only had this comparison. Then I have no idea how to compare the two CPUs... The Pro seems a bit more performant. But the 5 3600 should be enough for what I want to do, I guess. It's so complicated!

Is it the same discussion for the GPU? I read that the desktop RTX 2060 runs better than the laptop version. Which version is it the NoVA?
@maxff9 All laptops (including desktop replacements) have mobile GPUs. Some have Max-Q variants which are less powerful than mobile. It goes Desktop>Mobile>Max-Q. Whilst the configurators won't state 'mobile' after their names, assume all laptops are mobile GPUs unless it has Max-Q on the end.

All desktop GPUs run better than their laptop counterparts due to size and cooling - They are designed that way. Allegedly, the mobile RTX2070 runs similarly to a desktop RTX 2060.

I own a Nova (3700x + RTX2070) and it is a monster. I chose this because I use it as a desktop replacement literally, small enough to carry but with enough power to do whatever I want it to (mostly gaming.) It's always hooked up to an external monitor.

What do you actually plan to do with yours? Gaming, work, both?

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
Thank you very much for the info.
I plan to use it mostly for gaming (but I am not a big player, few hours per week maximum). I'd like to play Borderlands 3 with friends and I want the best experience. Eventually try Cyberpunk 2077. I don't need to play everything on ultra.

I don't see exactly how the 2070 will improve my performance. I am ok with anything as long as it's decent. My old laptop is so weak that anything will be impressive for me. My maximum budget would be 1200€ and so the combo 3600 + 2060 (1174€) is the one to chose, I guess. The 2070 would cost me an additional 112€.

leebee2110

Bronze Level Poster
Thank you very much for the info.
I plan to use it mostly for gaming (but I am not a big player, few hours per week maximum). I'd like to play Borderlands 3 with friends and I want the best experience. Eventually try Cyberpunk 2077. I don't need to play everything on ultra.

I don't see exactly how the 2070 will improve my performance. I am ok with anything as long as it's decent. My old laptop is so weak that anything will be impressive for me. My maximum budget would be 1200€ and so the combo 3600 + 2060 (1174€) is the one to chose, I guess. The 2070 would cost me an additional 112€.
Personally, I would highly recommend the RTX2070 as the GPU can't be upgraded and it'll give you more longevity with the machine. When you're spending that much money, you may as well max out your options. Maybe go for a smaller size m.2 drive for now and that can be upgraded later on when you have more money.

Alternatively, wait a few months for the new NVIDIA mobile GPUs to be released, as at present, even the RTX2070 will struggle with Cyberpunk 2077 :rolleyes:

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
That could be a good idea to start with a smaller m.2 drive to save a bit of money.
You said that the CPU can be upgraded later or am I wrong ? Like in two years I can take the 3700x and put it in my NOVA if I want ? That's interesting.
I read sometimes that we can have a bottleneck if one of the CPU/GPU is too weak. Would it be the case with the Ryzen 5 3600 and the RTX 2070 Mobile ?

I am planning since April to buy a new laptop. If I wait more, the prices will be higher with the newest component.
Thanks again !
I hope to convince my friend to buy the same build as me, today !

leebee2110

Bronze Level Poster
That could be a good idea to start with a smaller m.2 drive to save a bit of money.
You said that the CPU can be upgraded later or am I wrong ? Like in two years I can take the 3700x and put it in my NOVA if I want ? That's interesting.
I read sometimes that we can have a bottleneck if one of the CPU/GPU is too weak. Would it be the case with the Ryzen 5 3600 and the RTX 2070 Mobile ?

I am planning since April to buy a new laptop. If I wait more, the prices will be higher with the newest component.
Thanks again !
I hope to convince my friend to buy the same build as me, today !
No bottlenecks there. Both are good mid range parts.

Good luck