Nova 3700X - Benchmarking & Manual OC\UV

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
Hey man,
Thanks for the reply.

Could you perhaps confirm (if you can remember,) that when selecting CCC's "Performance," plan - It only changes to High Performance on detection of a game?

I've always preferred to use the built in powerplan "balanced," with the slider anyway - feels as if it gives me more control.
Really appreciate the offer - I love scripting so I'll probably make one myself if that's okay? (don't mean to be ungrateful!)

How is your undervolt running now? Still good?

Cheers,
Josh

I think that’s correct yes. However CCC and Ryzen Master will not play nice together. Any manual clock speeds or voltages profiles set in RM will be reset by CCC when gaming. yeah balanced with the slider works fine as well. I use the AMD Ryzen High Performance power plan but not sure how much difference it makes.

No that’s fine, plenty easy guides out there for this one. I got mine from a post on Toms Hardware and just adapted as necessary.

Yep I am still using 4GHZ all cores at 1.0625V and it’s rock solid. This is with SMT off, you will need around 1.1V if SMT on. CPU temps mid 60s when gaming so I could actually push it a bit further. Although from my initial testing that I did on my first post, you do need quite a bit more juice to get 4.2GHZ all cores. 4.1GHZ all cores doesn’t need much more but then I’m not sure what benefit you are getting from 100mhz more, probably very little

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
Awesome, cheers for the info!

I'll probably rip out CCC then and use alternative software to control the fan speeds like you mentioned previously - I find with CCC the temperatures are hitting 80-85c when using the VR which isn't so bad.

That's quite a steep voltage reduction from the stock 1.4 @ max, but fair play! Looks like I can do some playing around and tweaking.
Do you utilise the profiles within Ryzen Master? Apologies for all the queries, this is my first AMD machine ever!

Does your CPU throttle down when no load still, or is it constant 4Ghz base?

Ryzen power plans used to be better than Windows before updates came through - there's a really good and thorough post on the AMD subreddit from who I believe is one of the engineers from AMD. Basically, the Windows performance plans have now been updated for AMD's architecture (paraphrasing here.)

Cheers mate!
Josh

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
Awesome, cheers for the info!

I'll probably rip out CCC then and use alternative software to control the fan speeds like you mentioned previously - I find with CCC the temperatures are hitting 80-85c when using the VR which isn't so bad.

That's quite a steep voltage reduction from the stock 1.4 @ max, but fair play! Looks like I can do some playing around and tweaking.
Do you utilise the profiles within Ryzen Master? Apologies for all the queries, this is my first AMD machine ever!

Does your CPU throttle down when no load still, or is it constant 4Ghz base?

Ryzen power plans used to be better than Windows before updates came through - there's a really good and thorough post on the AMD subreddit from who I believe is one of the engineers from AMD. Basically, the Windows performance plans have now been updated for AMD's architecture (paraphrasing here.)

Cheers mate!
Josh
Yeah stock voltages are ridiculously high. Although it wouldn’t be 1.4V at stock if it was an all cores load, I think it’s around 1.25-1.3 on the 3700X for stock all core load. I just use Profile 1 and then select manual settings. No it won’t throttle down once the profile is applied. However Ryzen Master doesn’t save profile settings on restart or startup. So once you reboot/shutdown, you are back to stock settings and will need to apply the profile again whenever you need it.

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
Hey man,

I love the fact Ryzen Master doesn't set OC/UV on boost - however makes it a bit of a ballache to reboot after a gaming session to get back to clock speeds.

I've been doing some more reading on 3XXX series regarding undervolt and overclock - I can see the general consensus is to just leave things alone and leave on auto. I've always got good results from Intel and undervolting, but Ryzen is a an absolute different beast.

I'll monitor temps using RM / HwInfo as they're the more accurate readings and just go from there. As long as it's not going over 85 I'm happy. I believe on these laptops / desktop replacements that's the higher-end until thermal throttling kicks in.

Really appreciate your information!

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
Hey man,

I love the fact Ryzen Master doesn't set OC/UV on boost - however makes it a bit of a ballache to reboot after a gaming session to get back to clock speeds.

I've been doing some more reading on 3XXX series regarding undervolt and overclock - I can see the general consensus is to just leave things alone and leave on auto. I've always got good results from Intel and undervolting, but Ryzen is a an absolute different beast.

I'll monitor temps using RM / HwInfo as they're the more accurate readings and just go from there. As long as it's not going over 85 I'm happy. I believe on these laptops / desktop replacements that's the higher-end until thermal throttling kicks in.

Really appreciate your information!

95 is thermal throttling. However once into the 80s the fan noise will be pretty loud which is my main reason for the UV

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
95 is pretty damn awesome to only then thermal throttle!

I now feel slightly bad for my missus - I usually play with headphones on the Sofa, and she watches TV. I'm going to ask her if it's now bothering her :D

Really appreciate all the info after your testing - I could do it myself, but general experiences are better outlines / guides than trial and error!

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
95 is pretty damn awesome to only then thermal throttle!

I now feel slightly bad for my missus - I usually play with headphones on the Sofa, and she watches TV. I'm going to ask her if it's now bothering her :D

Really appreciate all the info after your testing - I could do it myself, but general experiences are better outlines / guides than trial and error!

Haha yeah I’m the same, play with headphones on but I got some grumbles from the missus About the fan noise at stock settings

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
What type of headphones are you using? Sorry if this is derailing the thread - just intrigued as to others' configurations.
Currently i'm using Sennheiser HD595's with Dolby Atmos for headphones when gaming.

I find the SoundBlaster Cinema 6 software absolutely useless and destroys the EQ's for all music, video and games.

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
What type of headphones are you using? Sorry if this is derailing the thread - just intrigued as to others' configurations.
Currently i'm using Sennheiser HD595's with Dolby Atmos for headphones when gaming.

I find the SoundBlaster Cinema 6 software absolutely useless and destroys the EQ's for all music, video and games.
Just some pretty bog standard Sony noise cancelling wired ones, nothing fancy but do the job.

demon28

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys, what I mentioned earlier in the post is actually true. A user in another forum mentioned that unistalling FnKey stops the interference between CCC and Ryzen Master. You can still keep the fan speed & Led app and they work just fine. I have been trying it for a day now and its been running perfectly

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
@demon28 I wish I knew that before I paid for Obsidian...Never mind haha Obsidian fan control I've found is very good though. More control in speed and more crucially for me, ramping up/down.

How are you finding ObsidianPC software? I'm currently battling an issue with Control Center and power plan settings - for example, when putting to Performance in CCC, this doesn't always change windows to 'High Performance.' It works if using VR but not 2D games.

Cheers,
Josh

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
I didn’t find CCC any use really after a couple of days, which is why I was fine with binning it. You could script the power plan change into the shortcut of the game you’re launching as we mentioned?

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
I didn’t find CCC any use really after a couple of days, which is why I was fine with binning it. You could script the power plan change into the shortcut of the game you’re launching as we mentioned?

Yea, I've still not done the scripts for the power-plans, mainly due to trying to give CCC a chance to work effectively, lol.

When finding the power-plans (Power saving, high performance,) these are actually hidden from CMD prompt (Powercfg,) and the GUI. They're available in the registry and no amount of restoring default schemes (powercfg -restoredefaultschemes) work.

Really eying up ObsidianPC software and just biting the bullet on the cost, but would rather get more information from users regarding the operation of CCC and their experience.

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
They shouldn’t be hidden? Are you the administrator and running CMD as administrator? You should be able to use CMD to get the power cfg GUID then from there put that into a script. I will post both steps later, away from machine at the min

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
Most definitely running as Admin in both Power options and CMD - Running the command to show all power schemes the only one's showing are:

Balanced (This is when CCC is on everything but Power Saving)
AMD Balanced.

They're all appearing in the registry, so I can duplicate them into Windows power plan with the GUID.

I'll try uploading some pictures to show what I mean - but I believe it's CCC which is screwing around more than it should. I believe that the 'blue spinning wheel,' which you've experienced when CCC changes powerplan - is that it's creating the plans from GUID and subsequently deleting them when changing plans in CCC.

The odd thing is, that when using VR (Rift S,) High Performance power plan in Windows shows and is active. The rest of the time 'Performance' mode in CCC is always on 'Balanced,' within Windows Power Plan options

I know it's a minor issue, but It's the type of issue that's really irritating me, lol. With my old MSI I had the same issue and a reinstall of OS resolved it.

leebee2110

Bronze Level Poster
@SuicidalChick3n brilliant mate. I use the fan control and rgb keyboard apps only. The fan control gives a much broader level of control. The Keyboard one is standard. I’ve found it so much better than CCC though. No interference and allows me full control over Ryzen Master and power profile. I think I use the Ryzen balanced.

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
Most definitely running as Admin in both Power options and CMD - Running the command to show all power schemes the only one's showing are:

Balanced (This is when CCC is on everything but Power Saving)
AMD Balanced.

They're all appearing in the registry, so I can duplicate them into Windows power plan with the GUID.

I'll try uploading some pictures to show what I mean - but I believe it's CCC which is screwing around more than it should. I believe that the 'blue spinning wheel,' which you've experienced when CCC changes powerplan - is that it's creating the plans from GUID and subsequently deleting them when changing plans in CCC.

The odd thing is, that when using VR (Rift S,) High Performance power plan in Windows shows and is active. The rest of the time 'Performance' mode in CCC is always on 'Balanced,' within Windows Power Plan options

I know it's a minor issue, but It's the type of issue that's really irritating me, lol. With my old MSI I had the same issue and a reinstall of OS resolved it.

Thats odd. If running CMD as adminstrator and you enter -

Code:
powercfg /list

It should return everything. Is the AMD High Performance plan listed on the Windows front end in the Choose Power Plan screen?

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
Thats odd. If running CMD as adminstrator and you enter -

Code:
powercfg /list

It should return everything. Is the AMD High Performance plan listed on the Windows front end in the Choose Power Plan screen?

Hey mate,

I've since ripped CCC applications out entirely and left Keyboard and fan control in place. This has now stopped the interferences from CCC with Ryzen Master, and now not bothering with the "performance plans," just sticking with Ryzen Balanced.
Found a fantastic thread on Reddit from A person called Robert who works for AMD:

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
Hey mate,

I've since ripped CCC applications out entirely and left Keyboard and fan control in place. This has now stopped the interferences from CCC with Ryzen Master, and now not bothering with the "performance plans," just sticking with Ryzen Balanced.
Found a fantastic thread on Reddit from A person called Robert who works for AMD:

Good thread. I haven’t looked into Ryzen Balanced much as I’ve using either Windows balances or Ryzen High Performance.