Nova 3700X - Benchmarking & Manual OC\UV

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Guys, this is worth a look, a tool to help undervolt and overclock Ryzen, it dynamically reads the capabilities of each CCX to determine how far they can clock, looks quite impressive, works in conjunction with Ryzen Master.

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
Looks very interesting but it does mention you need to configure certain things in the BIOS which aren’t readily available on the stock bios. Think you need an unlocked version, which in turn would obviously void the PCS warranty

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Spyder & Mrlip,
Hope you're both well.

I think I've now sussed how Ryzen works with regards to undervolts / overclocks, voltages and "idle." Took a day of playing around, but got there eventually. Had to get the ease of undervolting that Intel provides out of my head and re-invent the wheel per-say.

I'm fairly happy with what I have now - Ryzen Master profile which is 4Ghz stable @ 1.125v for gaming. What I'm not really understanding though, is the discrepancies between Ryzen Master monitoring and CPUZ / HwINFO64. I understand what AMD_Rob was saying about these polls being seen as "workloads," but with the undervolt set in Ryzen Master; this shows that the cores are infact clocking down and going to sleep when there's no load. In conjunction to that - The voltage isn't "static," within Ryzen Master. They are in-fact, going below 1v when no load - yet this doesn't portray on other applications such as CPUZ / HwINFO64.

I'm more tempted to go along with Ryzen Master as this does interact at a deeper level than other monitoring tools, and the temperature when set to my undervolt (4GHZ @ 1.125v) still goes to the same "idle" temp as stock (45c.)

As we both know - I'm fairly happy with this currently, but that's more than likely to change in the next 10hrs and i'll be right back to square one. God dammit, why am I like this? :p

Cheers for all the information you've provided Mrlip - It's been invaluable. I'm sure i'll respond back to this thread when I get another crazy notion in my head!

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
Hi Spyder & Mrlip,
Hope you're both well.

I think I've now sussed how Ryzen works with regards to undervolts / overclocks, voltages and "idle." Took a day of playing around, but got there eventually. Had to get the ease of undervolting that Intel provides out of my head and re-invent the wheel per-say.

I'm fairly happy with what I have now - Ryzen Master profile which is 4Ghz stable @ 1.125v for gaming. What I'm not really understanding though, is the discrepancies between Ryzen Master monitoring and CPUZ / HwINFO64. I understand what AMD_Rob was saying about these polls being seen as "workloads," but with the undervolt set in Ryzen Master; this shows that the cores are infact clocking down and going to sleep when there's no load. In conjunction to that - The voltage isn't "static," within Ryzen Master. They are in-fact, going below 1v when no load - yet this doesn't portray on other applications such as CPUZ / HwINFO64.

I'm more tempted to go along with Ryzen Master as this does interact at a deeper level than other monitoring tools, and the temperature when set to my undervolt (4GHZ @ 1.125v) still goes to the same "idle" temp as stock (45c.)

As we both know - I'm fairly happy with this currently, but that's more than likely to change in the next 10hrs and i'll be right back to square one. God dammit, why am I like this? :p

Cheers for all the information you've provided Mrlip - It's been invaluable. I'm sure i'll respond back to this thread when I get another crazy notion in my head!

No problem at all,its definitely a worthwhile exercise. I too am happy with my current config and temps are great. I know I’ve said it previously but the Nova in this config is an absolute monster. I’ve just purchased a curved 27inch 1440p QHD Samsung to hook it up to, mainly for flight sim use, and it is incredible

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
Thanks for all the tips, guys. This has been one of the most informative threads on this forum (for me, at least 😅). Trying not to get too anxious right now, but the predicted build date is next Monday 😂

Which config have you gone for?On a side note, I think I pointed this out on my OP, but the thermals on the Nova at all stock settings are absolutely fine. It’s only the fan noise that led me to go down the undervolt route. If you are using it in a room where fan noise isn’t an issue and you’re wearing headphones, stock settings work perfectly well

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
Does anyone know what thermal paste PCS use on the builds? It just states "standard thermal paste for efficient cooling," or something along those lines. I'm planning on removing the heatsinks and re-pasting with Thermal Grizzly just so I can rule out bad thermal paste application. I told you i'd be back replying with another train of thought xD

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Does anyone know what thermal paste PCS use on the builds? It just states "standard thermal paste for efficient cooling," or something along those lines. I'm planning on removing the heatsinks and re-pasting with Thermal Grizzly just so I can rule out bad thermal paste application. I told you i'd be back replying with another train of thought xD
On any DTR they use MX-4 as standard

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster

Cheers Spyder! I had a feeling it might've been.

I must say, I'm so glad I've just repasted - The original paste job was absolutely dreadful. It was spilling over the side of the Ryzen IHS onto the socket-latch. Replaced with Kryonaut by Thermal Grizzly and seen my idle temps for GPU drop from 44c to 32c and CPU is averaging in the high 40's with no minimal fans.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cheers Spyder! I had a feeling it might've been.

I must say, I'm so glad I've just repasted - The original paste job was absolutely dreadful. It was spilling over the side of the Ryzen IHS onto the socket-latch. Replaced with Kryonaut by Thermal Grizzly and seen my idle temps for GPU drop from 44c to 32c and CPU is averaging in the high 40's with no minimal fans.
Thermal grizzly is my go to favorite as well, it's by far the best of the normal pastes imho. Keep an eye on Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut, it's a wafer of carbon fiber which at the moment is just a fraction under the capabilites of a good paste. The bonus is that it never degrades, so you put one in and it goes on and on, plus you can remove the heatsink all you like and replace it without having to replace the wafer. But it's a brand new product, and in my estimation they've got a lot further to go to improve on it. I reckon they'll replace pastes within a few years, or something of it's caliber.

Those are much better temps, if temps are high the first thing to check is the paste, unfortunately it's one of the areas that are often not quite up to scratch.

I'm very pleased that's performing better though. The chassis is fantastic and when it's all properly configured, it should purr like a kitten without any issues.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Do you know if repasting voids warranty? Don't remember seeing any mention to it on the t&c.

Which config have you gone for?On a side note, I think I pointed this out on my OP, but the thermals on the Nova at all stock settings are absolutely fine. It’s only the fan noise that led me to go down the undervolt route. If you are using it in a room where fan noise isn’t an issue and you’re wearing headphones, stock settings work perfectly well
I went for the R3 3100 and RTX 2070. The main reason for the 3100 was budget, as well as not wanting to wait for the 3300x to get back in stock and also for being afraid of the thermals of the latter, as I've seen cpu comparisons with it running hotter than a 3600 and 3700x on desktops with AIOs (imagine on a dtr).

So my challenge will be a bit different with the 3100, as I won't have problems with thermals and noise at stock (I think), but need to check how far will it go on overclocking while keeping those under control, as noise might be an issue indeed. I would also like to have a low-power profile with this less power-hungry cpu, just to test how long the battery will last with it.

I also made the decision believing that this cpu will be fine for the next couple of years, when the RTX 2070 will still be a very good gpu and will run games at high/ultra settings (more gpu bound) at 1080p. However, when it starts to age and medium/lower settings are starting to be needed, that's the moment when I would benefit from a better cpu like the 3700x or hopefully a zen 3 (fingers crossed).

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Do you know if repasting voids warranty? Don't remember seeing any mention to it on the t&c.
No, you're completely free to repaste, or do any maintenance or upgrades without affecting warranty so long as you don't do any damage in the process.

7.8: Unlike with most computer companies, we allow you to open your case and install your own components without voiding your warranty on the following conditions:

• If the actions of the person installing the components cause damage to the computer, your warranty will be void;
  • If you install components that are not purchased from us and they cause problems with your computer, your warranty will be void;
  • If you install components that are not purchased from us we will in no way support you in installing them or with any problems you have relating to the components you have installed.
  • We will support you in installing components purchased from us providing you have purchased them through the upgrade service available on your online account.

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
Thermal grizzly is my go to favorite as well, it's by far the best of the normal pastes imho. Keep an eye on Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut, it's a wafer of carbon fiber which at the moment is just a fraction under the capabilites of a good paste. The bonus is that it never degrades, so you put one in and it goes on and on, plus you can remove the heatsink all you like and replace it without having to replace the wafer. But it's a brand new product, and in my estimation they've got a lot further to go to improve on it. I reckon they'll replace pastes within a few years, or something of it's caliber.

Those are much better temps, if temps are high the first thing to check is the paste, unfortunately it's one of the areas that are often not quite up to scratch.

I'm very pleased that's performing better though. The chassis is fantastic and when it's all properly configured, it should purr like a kitten without any issues.

I've seen graphite thermal pads before, they've most definitely come a long way!

So with all TIM applications - I've ran some torture test and Cinebench runs to allow the TIM to spread (perhaps this isn't needed in today's age, but worth doing anyway!)

Before, without CCC intervening I was reaching 95C through Prime95.
Now, without CCC intervening - I'm reaching 87C through Prime95.

Not such a massive drop, but there's only so much that can be done. I've noticed, however that without the complete CCC installation - the fan's don't come on as quickly as they should. Perhaps after all I'll need to purchase ObsidianPC software.

For now, I'm doing absolutely nothing more as It'll just cause me to go insane! Performance is stellar, temperature's are decent for being a bloody laptop!

Now I just need to wait for PCS to issue the new BIOS and I'm golden!

FerrariVie

Super Star
No, you're completely free to repaste, or do any maintenance or upgrades without affecting warranty so long as you don't do any damage in the process.

7.8: Unlike with most computer companies, we allow you to open your case and install your own components without voiding your warranty on the following conditions:
Yeah, I've seen the part of "install own components", just wasn't sure if repasting would be considered part of that.

Good to know, it can be an option for the future in case I find issues with thermals. Using non-conductive paste (like kryonaut) would really be the safer option with best results.

VPATEL

Hi,

Guys thanks for all the information on this thread, it's priceless.

Thanks, @SpyderTracks for forwarding me this thread.

I have decided to go with Nova (Ryzen 9 3900X, RTX 2060) after clearing most of my queries in HERE.
As I mentioned earlier in that thread, that once of my concern is to tinker the clock speed and voltage to help reduce the fan noise as there is no Ryzen Master for Linux. As I will be using this DTR for CPU intensive simulations.

So I would like to ask if has anyone given a try tinkering the Nova or other Ryzen CPU desktop from Linux?

BTW found a link as an alternative option to Overclock the Ryzen CPU from Linux:
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/overclock-your-ryzen-cpu-from-linux/126025
GitHub: https://github.com/r4m0n/ZenStates-Linux/

It would be a great help if anyone could provide some insights or suggestions.

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
Hi,

Guys thanks for all the information on this thread, it's priceless.

Thanks, @SpyderTracks for forwarding me this thread.

I have decided to go with Nova (Ryzen 9 3900X, RTX 2060) after clearing most of my queries in HERE.
As I mentioned earlier in that thread, that once of my concern is to tinker the clock speed and voltage to help reduce the fan noise as there is no Ryzen Master for Linux. As I will be using this DTR for CPU intensive simulations.

So I would like to ask if has anyone given a try tinkering the Nova or other Ryzen CPU desktop from Linux?

BTW found a link as an alternative option to Overclock the Ryzen CPU from Linux:
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/overclock-your-ryzen-cpu-from-linux/126025
GitHub: https://github.com/r4m0n/ZenStates-Linux/

It would be a great help if anyone could provide some insights or suggestions.

3900X will be incredible! Please post your experience when you get it. In regards to Linux, unfortunately I can’t help there as I don’t use it

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
3900X will be incredible! Please post your experience when you get it. In regards to Linux, unfortunately I can’t help there as I don’t use it
I don't think it's any different on Linux vs any other OS with regards to voltage tweaking or clocks. It's just the process and methods you chose to get where you got to.

The values changed will be the same as they’re at a hardware level, it’s just the software that’s used to do it that will be a different layout.

Last edited:

VPATEL

I don't think it's any different on Linux vs any other OS with regards to voltage tweaking or clocks. It's just the process and methods you chose to get where you got to.

The values changed will be the same as they’re at a hardware level, it’s just the software that’s used to do it that will be a different layout.

yes, I agree. Its matter of approach and method to go about it.