Nova bluetooth problems

lauwai

Bronze Level Poster
I've found the bluetooth module to be really flaky in the Nova. It's an intel unit. It randomly appears or disappears in settings within the notifcation bar.

I've opened the laptop up and reseated the module but it's still the same.

I've uninstalled and re-installed with latest drivers directly from Intel. It shows in the device manager settings of control panel but greyed out saying device isn't working and not sure if this maybe related but there is a USB device in there also constantly showing as not working. If you go into windows 10 settings there is no option to turn on bluetooth.

I've unplugged everything I can from the laptop and rebooted when bluetooth disappears. I've re-installed a clean version of windows and have had the same issue.

Anyone have any ideas before I spend an hour with PCS support on the phone?

The wifi part of the module works fine by the way. It's just bluetooth I have an issue with.

Thanks in advance.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've found the bluetooth module to be really flaky in the Nova. It's an intel unit. It randomly appears or disappears in settings within the notifcation bar.

I've opened the laptop up and reseated the module but it's still the same.

I've uninstalled and re-installed with latest drivers directly from Intel. It shows in the device manager settings of control panel but greyed out saying device isn't working and not sure if this maybe related but there is a USB device in there also constantly showing as not working. If you go into windows 10 settings there is no option to turn on bluetooth.

I've unplugged everything I can from the laptop and rebooted when bluetooth disappears. I've re-installed a clean version of windows and have had the same issue.

Anyone have any ideas before I spend an hour with PCS support on the phone?

The wifi part of the module works fine by the way. It's just bluetooth I have an issue with.

Thanks in advance.
Contacting PCS is the best option, it's likely a flaky WiFi card. Intel don't have a terribly good reputation for WiFi cards I think. If you're happy replacing it (and it's most likely under the keyboard) they'll probably just send you a replacement card. :)

What are the full specs of your build - just so's we all know what we're looking at?

lauwai

Bronze Level Poster
Here's the specs.
Chassis & DisplayNova Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12 Core CPU (3.1GHz-4.3GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 1800MB/sR | 1800MB/sW)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
BatteryNova Series Detachable 4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.2 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

FerrariVie

Super Star
What device are you trying to connect and what exactly is happening to it?

I had problems with Bluetooth in the past, but it happened to be a windows issue, not hardware. The wifi/bluetooth card is one of the best that intel has around, so unless it's a hardware issue, you should not have problems with it.

So in my case, I had dropouts with the bluetooth mouse, but not with headphones. And as incredible as it may seem, when using both headphone and mouse on Bluetooth at the same time, the mouse dropouts stopped. As soon as the headphone was turned off, the mouse started dropping again.

After hours of research, I found out that newer versions of windows seem to be disabling Bluetooth to "save energy", even if the mouse is still connected to it. Maybe the mouse just uses a tiny bit of energy (compared to headphones) and windows is guessing that Bluetooth is not being used?

Anyway, what helped me to solve the issue was disabling the energy-saving option on windows in the correct location, as explained here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...b/62e63e7d-9954-4898-b2a3-44fed70421c5?page=5

Older windows 10 versions had the energy saving features on a different (easier to find) location, so it took me a loooong time to finally find the correct way of disabling it. But never had Bluetooth issues since then.

Maybe give it a try to see if it makes any difference?

lauwai

Bronze Level Poster
I'm not having any trouble connecting devices via Bluetooth when bluetooth is available for me to connect. I simply don't have the bluetooth function in my settings or devices most of the time. Sometimes it comes back when I reboot but that only works occasionally. My mouse is via 2.4ghz anyhow and I've managed to connect BT headphones and xbox controllers and use them without problem. It's just the bluetooth feature simply disappears from windows completely.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm not having any trouble connecting devices via Bluetooth when bluetooth is available for me to connect. I simply don't have the bluetooth function in my settings or devices most of the time. Sometimes it comes back when I reboot but that only works occasionally. My mouse is via 2.4ghz anyhow and I've managed to connect BT headphones and xbox controllers and use them without problem. It's just the bluetooth feature simply disappears from windows completely.
To me that sounds like a dud card, I'd be looking to RMA it. If you're ok opening up the chassis, PCS may be able to just ship you a replacement in the post for you to fit yourself rather than having to send the whole unit back.

lauwai

Bronze Level Poster
To me that sounds like a dud card, I'd be looking to RMA it. If you're ok opening up the chassis, PCS may be able to just ship you a replacement in the post for you to fit yourself rather than having to send the whole unit back.

That's what I'm thinking, it being a dud. I've sent PCS a msg via the site as I don't have the time this week to sit on the phone getting through to support.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's what I'm thinking, it being a dud. I've sent PCS a msg via the site as I don't have the time this week to sit on the phone getting through to support.
Yeah, I think you've done everything you can. The fact the wireless isn't affected, and that the bluetooth is actually disappearing from windows and coming back suggests something odd to me, it's certainly not a common issue on the Nova or any chassis for that matter.

You don't need to call, if you log into your main PCS account, and go to the RMA section in "My Returns", then by the order you should have "return a component", in there you should hopefully have the option to just swap out that part and I believe they ship you a replacement by courier, and the driver just collects the faulty unit from you and returns it to them.

1604962695984.png

I believe that's how it works, have a look, should be pretty apparent if that's not how it works.