Nova - Brief review

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just for your information, XMG released BIOS version 1.07.07 for their customers today, that is supposed to correct (amongst other things) an issue with users who were not able to control their screen brightness. So this is probably the latest BIOS version from Clevo.
PLEASE check with PCS before you flash your BIOS - failure to do that may invalidate your warranty.

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
@mrlip , what is the BIOS version on your laptop? Is that the latest one that PCS provides as of now?

i have 1.07.06 and this did not resolves the 2 nvme drive issue.

They are both nvme slots, not sata, but only 1 is PCIex3.0
It’s labelled on the motherboard in small writing which is which

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I am considering the purchase of a very similar build. I am concerned with the temperatures. What cooling system does this model use? Having a Ryzen9 and a rtx2070 will cause overheating? Has anyone experienced any issues?
The cooling system is part of the chassis on any laptop. It’s a clevo chassis.

You will have to maximise the voltage regulation and core clocks to get it running optimally as on any DTR

FerrariVie

Super Star
I am considering the purchase of a very similar build. I am concerned with the temperatures. What cooling system does this model use? Having a Ryzen9 and a rtx2070 will cause overheating? Has anyone experienced any issues?
I don't know about the R9 as I only have an R3, but regarding the RTX 2070, the cooling system is more than enough. I honestly don't know why an RTX 2080 is not available for this chassis, but maybe is to give you more room to overclock the 2070? Also, the heatpipes are shared between CPU and GPU (as it is in all laptops), so in case your CPU gets too hot, the GPU will consequently go hotter.

My 2070 at stock never goes above 77 degrees, with the fans at 60% (not too loud) and running the CPU with overclock on any game or 3DMark. I only overclocked the CPU for testing purposes, because I like to run my laptop with minimal noise possible while keeping temperatures managed. With CPU at stock and same 60% fans, 70 degrees is the max that I've seen on the GPU. So in case you're not bothered by the fan noise, you could max them all out and you're definitely going to be fine with temps.

Last edited:

FerrariVie

Super Star
Thanks for the answers. The noise is always unpleasant, but the computer can live with it. The overheating the computer cannot survive long. So I think I am more confident about it. I think I will get one
And as @SpyderTracks said, the great advantage of this chassis (using Ryzen desktop CPUs) is the ability to tune your voltage and clocks on Ryzen Master to your usage, or even to your ambient temperature. Today, for example, is the underclock and undervolt day in Ireland :ROFLMAO: Hoping for the winter to come, as we'll have overclock season :cool:

lauwai

Bronze Level Poster
I ordered my Nova with 2 NVME SSDs. An intel in the 1st slot and the PCS one in the other. So far after 10days use it has been fine. I've got the latest BIOS the other day from PCS installed and using the latest drives downloaded from PCS. I didn't bother using the ones that came on the CD.

FerrariVie

Super Star
I ordered my Nova with 2 NVME SSDs. An intel in the 1st slot and the PCS one in the other. So far after 10days use it has been fine. I've got the latest BIOS the other day from PCS installed and using the latest drives downloaded from PCS. I didn't bother using the ones that came on the CD.
I think none of those 2 drives are Gen3 (guessing by looking at the speeds), so that might be the issue with the chassis. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Jazzmess

I still find it insane that the laptop if there are 2 gen3 nvme connected, performance cannot be degraded to gen2 instead of heavy bsods and crashes. RMA is still going on and my vendor should receive the laptop (next week). I somehow have the feeling this story isn't over, so I'll ask for a refund if it turns out bad. Heck, I could have bought a beefy mini itx with full performance...

to keep portability, ordered a fusion pro 14 with a 4800h. A different beast, but I hope to recycle the tremendous amount of cash I threw on ram (64gb of crucial 3200) and the ssds...