Nova shutting down under load

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah that is what I am thinking, hopefully its just a bad AC brick rather than the GPU. I will raise a support message to PCS. Think first solution would be to try a new power brick unless they suggest otherwise. I nearly bought a spare when I got the laptop but decided against it - wish I had now! :D

I will message them now and keep this thread updated with progress in case others have a similar issue in the future.
Yeah, do keep us posted, would love to know what the outcome is.

As you say, power delivery is definitely the issue, it's where that failure is happening.

Power brick would make sense, may be worth picking up a spare while they're still available (hopefully) while you're at it. If you go to the upgrades section on your account, it will hopefully list them to buy individually.

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
Will do, I have messaged PCS now.

I've asked if PCS can send out a replacement brick and then if that resolves the issue, I may also purchase an additional spare just in case for the future - looks like they are still available in My Spares.

djsubtronic

Silver Level Poster
Ok starting to get somewhere now I think :)

As soon as I start a Furmark GPU Benchmark - QHD Preset test, the laptop loses AC power connection and switches to battery. In order for it to recognise AC power again, I have to unplug the wall plug to power brick lead and plug it back in.
So unplugging/replugging at the laptop itself doesn't do anything? If so, then it seems like a safety switch is tripping within the power brick itself (surge protection?) which is only reset when you unplug the wall to brick lead. Most likely a faulty power brick.

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
So unplugging/replugging at the laptop itself doesn't do anything? If so, then it seems like a safety switch is tripping within the power brick itself (surge protection?) which is only reset when you unplug the wall to brick lead. Most likely a faulty power brick.
Nope if i unplug and replug at the laptop end, it still doesn’t recognise AC power. Have to unplug at the power brick. Yeah I thought that, assume those bricks have some sort of safety switch in them.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Nope if i unplug and replug at the laptop end, it still doesn’t recognise AC power. Have to unplug at the power brick. Yeah I thought that, assume those bricks have some sort of safety switch in them.
Sad to hear that, @mrlip . Are you plugging the brick cable directly into the wall? And have you also tried plugging it into another room's socket, just in case? I'm wondering if there is a problem with a power extension or the wall socket. If not, hopefully it's just the power brick 🤞

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
Just an update on this - I received a new power brick today from PCS but unfortunately that hasn't resolved the issue :cry: So I can only guess its an issue with the GPU itself. I will contact PCS again but I am guessing the next step is to RMA this? Does anyone know what the procedure might be here in terms of its an RMA because obviously, if the GPU needs replacing they are soldered to the board, do they just replace the whole board?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just an update on this - I received a new power brick today from PCS but unfortunately that hasn't resolved the issue :cry: So I can only guess its an issue with the GPU itself. I will contact PCS again but I am guessing the next step is to RMA this? Does anyone know what the procedure might be here in terms of its an RMA because obviously, if the GPU needs replacing they are soldered to the board, do they just replace the whole board?
If it isn’t modular, then yes, they’d replace the entire motherboard.

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
If it isn’t modular, then yes, they’d replace the entire motherboard.
Cheers Spyder I thought so. I know they don't sell the Nova anymore but assume they still carry spares. Slightly disappointing\concerning this has happened when its only 10 months old but lets see what PCS say:)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cheers Spyder I thought so. I know they don't sell the Nova anymore but assume they still carry spares. Slightly disappointing\concerning this has happened when its only 10 months old but lets see what PCS say:)
Yes, they usually have spares for at least the 3 year full warranty period, but often longer.

It is definitely unfortunate, but at least you're still in warranty!

FerrariVie

Super Star
At least it happened while you're still under warranty! The GPU is indeed soldered (I know because I've already repasted mine), so it's very likely going to be at least a new motherboard.

Hope it doesn't take long for PCS to fix it. Please keep us updated (y)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Awesome news
Not for me, I was the evil genius behind the whole thing.

2EAA96DB-BE66-43AE-9FBA-00637B74911D.gif

And I would’ve gotten away with it if it wasn’t for you meddling kids 😜