Nova Year - New Build

Warbelian

Bronze Level Poster
Hello o/

So after a pretty tough experience with my previous Defience which I ended up selling because of the heating problems, I've decided to re-consider after the Nova was sneakly shown off. I appreciate the space for cooling in this one and hope that it does the job on my intense Doom Eternal sessions.
This is what I've decided to go with since there is not really much difference between the 3600 & 3700X

Chassis & Display
Nova Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Nova Series 4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.2 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
15" NOVA SERIES PORTUGUESE KEYBOARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Notebook Mouse
Fnatic FLICK 2 Gaming Mouse
Headsets
Fnatic REACT Gaming Headset
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

What are your thoughts on cooling of this new version ?

o/

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Looks first class.

The initial reports on the chassis so far are excellent. You're giving yourself the most optimum solution for cooling with the CPU and the 2070 is an excellent card to pair with it. Should be fantastic :)

Warbelian

Bronze Level Poster
Great feedback, Scott!

I'm pretty new on benchmarks but I want to share some with the community when it arrives as I can see it being a setup with popular demand.
Which softwares would you recommend that I test it with ?

o/

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Great feedback, Scott!

I'm pretty new on benchmarks but I want to share some with the community when it arrives as I can see it being a setup with popular demand.
Which softwares would you recommend that I test it with ?

o/
The usual ones are Unigine Heaven, Firestrike, Prime95, Geekbench.

Warbelian

Bronze Level Poster
Thank you for the quick reply there, @SpyderTracks

I'll install them first thing when I get it to share the outcome.
Quite pleased with the combo.

I'm thinking about getting a 3M skin for the lid, does anyone know any reputable companies that can bespoke it ?

o/

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you for the quick reply there, @SpyderTracks

I'll install them first thing when I get it to share the outcome.
Quite pleased with the combo.

I'm thinking about getting a 3M skin for the lid, does anyone know any reputable companies that can bespoke it ?

o/
I'm really excited for your review, I think a lot of us are looking at this chassis, there's just nothing that comes close to it for power vs price, it's incredible value.

There are some other benchmarks you can run, the ones above are specifically for the CPU and graphics, but you may want to check the PCIe speeds on the M2 drive or any other storage drives:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Regarding Skins, I think these guys are generally regarded the best, but depends on shipping costs as to weather it's worth it:

These guys are UK based, but not used them personally, but they've got great reviews on TrustPilot:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Warbelian

Bronze Level Poster
Apparently this monitor has adaptive G-Sync, it's not a G-Sync Chip but still does the same job.

I am on the hunt for a USB C Docking Station but there seems to be so many options out there, it's a shame that it didn't come with Thunderbold 3, that would make my life much easier on achieving the minimalist setup that I want.

Anyone have any recommendations ?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Apparently this monitor has adaptive G-Sync, it's not a G-Sync Chip but still does the same job.

I am on the hunt for a USB C Docking Station but there seems to be so many options out there, it's a shame that it didn't come with Thunderbold 3, that would make my life much easier on achieving the minimalist setup that I want.

Anyone have any recommendations ?
It's Gsync compatible which means it's a freesync monitor (AMD's version of GSync) that's been approved by NVidia as being good enough to merit their approval.

Any freesync or gsync monitor will worth with an NVidia card, but only freesync monitors will work with an AMD card.

Startech are a good make of docks, and usually fairly priced. That chassis does carry Display Port over the USB C just to confirm, so if you find one that can carry that into it, then you don't have to attach a monitor separately, just the USB C for everything.

There's this one I came across in a search which does do DP over USB C and then has room for a couple of monitors:

Warbelian

Bronze Level Poster
This is the forniture that I plan to put together.

Desk:

Chair:

Lamp x2 bouncing to the wall:

I got a 55'' TV that I got off of work, but now I can't find the place to put it xD

Last edited:

Warbelian

Bronze Level Poster
It's Gsync compatible which means it's a freesync monitor (AMD's version of GSync) that's been approved by NVidia as being good enough to merit their approval.

Any freesync or gsync monitor will worth with an NVidia card, but only freesync monitors will work with an AMD card.

Startech are a good make of docks, and usually fairly priced. That chassis does carry Display Port over the USB C just to confirm, so if you find one that can carry that into it, then you don't have to attach a monitor separately, just the USB C for everything.

There's this one I came across in a search which does do DP over USB C and then has room for a couple of monitors:

Nice one, even though it's quite ugly, I can still manage to hide it.
I wanted to get a dock because I'll be taking my laptop to work and bringing it back after shift, so if I just connect 1 cable instead of 5 when coming back, will make my life easier.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Nice one, even though it's quite ugly, I can still manage to hide it.
I wanted to get a dock because I'll be taking my laptop to work and bringing it back after shift, so if I just connect 1 cable instead of 5 when coming back, will make my life easier.
Yeah, docks are brilliant. They can be quite expensive these days when you factor in usbc or thunderbolt, but that one would work with any usbc laptop so you could use it in the future with any luck.

Warbelian

Bronze Level Poster
Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Can you think of any other accessories that would make this setup greater ?
USB headset for gaming and external speakers are a given for any laptop.
I bought this one around Christmas and it's absolutely incredible for the price:

Does anyone yet know how the cooling works ?
No reviews as yet

I just found this vertical stand with all the ports that I need included pretty much.
I don't think that would fit the nova if you look at the specs.

Warbelian

Bronze Level Poster
Nice one once again @SpyderTracks, just double check the link as it's coming with the EVO 970 that one.

As for the stand, it doesn't match because of the Type C DB or won't fit the tickness of the laptop ? Didn't really check properly what it was.

Off-topic:

People seem to be spending quite a lot even though we're on COVID break,
Just checked my system and I have about 3500 parcels to deliver until 17:00 tomorrow, lmao, I hope fleets are snappy tomorrow.

Warbelian

Bronze Level Poster
20200418_154722.png

It has arrived, lets run some tests. :)

Warbelian

Bronze Level Poster
3DMark - Fire Strike Results

1587299241247-png.15750

3DMark - Time Spy Results

Untitled.png

Heaven Benchmark 4.0

1587233270642.png

CINEBENCH - CPU/GPU

1587236244811.png

Geekbench 5 - CPU Score

1587233811055.png

Full breakdown:

Geekbench 5 - GPU OpenGL Score

1587233952254.png

Full breakdown:
Geekbench 5 - GPU Volkan Score

1587234001681.png

Full breakdown:
Geekbench 5 - GPU CUDA Score

1587234104945.png

Full breakdown:
Crystal Disk Bench -M.2 MB/s @1
1587235692341.png

Crystal Disk Bench -M.2 GB/s @1
1587235742823.png

Attachments

• 1587235663347.png
    1587235663347.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 364
  • 1587236520155.png
    1587236520155.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You got it!!! It's a nice chassis, I rather like that! What's the weight like? And can you take a photo of the power pack?

What are temperatures like when idle and under load? That's the first thing you want to check.

And how do you find the screen?

Sorry for all the questions, you're the first person to get one and post some feedback :)

I'm really impressed with that Heaven result, that's a very impressive result.