NVidia 3000 series confirmed details

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all

The announcement has been made.

The details are as follows:

3090 - Replacement for Titan with 24Gb VRAM @ $1500 (down from current version which is $2500) Current price on configurator £1610.

- STARTING @ $699 Current price on configurator £792. No one saw it coming in that cheap! The estimation is that there may be 2 versions, one with 10Gb VRAM and one with more, some saying up to 20Gb, but that doesn't make much sense to me for a gaming card - been corrected by @Scott who says it may be aimed at 8k resolutions which I hadn’t considered possible)

3070 - Claimed as more powerful than the 2080ti????? My guess is that is related to Ray Tracing performance and not raw gaming power. Await 3rd party reviews on that! @ $500 Current price on configurator £567

How these translate to £ remains to be seen but expect a straight $-£ conversion

Obviously major major improvements in Ray Tracing and DLSS (now up to 8k)

New technologies for Streamers - NVidia Broadcast, pretty significant background audio silencing, plus really effective background overlays and effects. Looks pretty good actually considering it will be free:

New Gamers technology related to refresh rate - NVidia Reflex, a technology that should boost esports play by reducing graphics latency:

New SSD/HDD throughput improvements - RTX IO, supposed to improve on data access on drives, an answer to Sony's upcoming SSD access times improvements:

A few YouTubers thoughts:

JayzTwoCents, worth a look:

And one from GamersNexus (always more balanced)

And of course, Linus's take on it:

Hardware Unboxed thoughts:

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Obviously all these claims on performance remain to be seen once we get proper 3rd party reviews.

BUT, prices are a bit of a surprise considering the uplift in performance.

NVidia are not one to just giveaway higher tier performance for "free" ie without charging more for the significant uptick. My guess is this is a direct response to their fears of AMD's upcoming release next month (or possibly even November).

Dan79

Bronze Level Poster
Seriously impressed with the pricing this time round.

Although I don’t think it’s been confirmed everywhere says around 320w for 3080.

AMD gonna have to work some magic I think. Competition is good of course.

TomBerry

Bright Spark
750W PSU needed for the 3080, seen here :)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    357.9 KB · Views: 271

TomBerry

Bright Spark
3070, 3080 and 3090 here for the power consumption

Attachments

• 3070.PNG
    3070.PNG
    20.3 KB · Views: 275
  • 3080.PNG
    3080.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 3090.PNG
    3090.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 252

Dan79

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah that’d be about right. I imagine you could use a 650w but you wouldn’t be overclocking anything so would be pointless. Personally I upgraded to an 850w in anticipation lol

I thought the adapter was 2x 8pin to 12pin

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh, apparently the 3090 and possibly the 3080 do in fact use a 12 pin connector, but the adapter will be provided in the box with the card, so you just attach the 2 x 8 pins to it from a normal PSU.

TomBerry

Bright Spark
I'd go for the 3070 personally but I'd need to upgrade my PSU too :( Will stick until my next build in a few years' time, the 2070 Super will do for now :)

Dan79

Bronze Level Poster
I'd go for the 3070 personally but I'd need to upgrade my PSU too :( Will stick until my next build in a few years' time, the 2070 Super will do for now :)

I believe I will preorder a 3080 and then get a new build with a 3070 when the AMD 4xxx chips come out.(If the wife lets me)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I believe I will preorder a 3080 and then get a new build with a 3070 when the AMD 4xxx chips come out.(If the wife lets me)
That’s what I’m planning also, zen 3 CPU’s are gonna be awesome. I also want to see what AMD have up their sleeve with Big Navi

Dan79

Bronze Level Poster
I just can’t imagine them having similar raytracing performance for that price point. Maybe a general performance increase over the nvidia cards with some raytracing performance at a lower price? (2080s performance at £400)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I just can’t imagine them having similar raytracing performance for that price point. Maybe a general performance increase over the nvidia cards with some raytracing performance at a lower price?
Yeah, it's going to be interesting. Navi performance with Ray Tracing was awful, but then it didn't have any dedicated RT cores like RTX2000 series did so that was to be expected. Big Navi is getting dedicated RT cores, so so long as they've got around their driver issues, hopefully everything's to play for.

Doesn't help that there are almost ZERO leaks on their Big Navi, never known a GPU release without leaks!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Very surprised by the pricing, I reckon your theory regarding the prices of AMD definitely holds water. Looks like I won't be having to squirrel away as many pennies as I originally thought. Great news for the consumer :)

I'll also be interested to see some performance info on the RTX IO, faster loading always excites me (y)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Very surprised by the pricing, I reckon your theory regarding the prices of AMD definitely holds water. Looks like I won't be having to squirrel away as many pennies as I originally thought. Great news for the consumer :)

I'll also be interested to see some performance info on the RTX IO, faster loading always excites me (y)
This RTX IO looks really interesting, I’m very much looking forward to that to see how it improves the actual gaming performance. The expectation is that open world type levels where they can start to gradually draw the distance as you walk ahead will now be instant loading.

But there are other scenarios as well with extremely fast paced games where it could make a significant impact.

The good demo that Sony gave where this technology helped was on Ratchet and Clank where they seemlessly go from level to level through port holes with zero load time, it’s quite incredible for immersion.

Last edited:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
This RTX IO looks really interesting, I’m very much looking forward to that to see how it improves the actual gaming performance. The expectation is that open world type levels where they can start to gradually draw the distance as you walk ahead will now be instant loading.

But there are other scenarios as well with extremely fast paced games where it could make a significant impact.

The good demo that Sony gave where this technology helped was on Ratchet and Clank where they seem Lesly go from level to level through port holes with zero load time, it’s quite incredible for immersion.

Brilliant news, and much needed considering the tricks Sony have been pulling out of the bag recently. I think I read somewhere that the Ghost of Tsushima developers actually slowed down the load times so people would have a chance to read the hints and tips before being flung into the next area! :LOL:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The 8K snippet was so impressive. The 3080 has seriously impressed me and at the price point that it's at it seems like a fair spend now. The 2080 was over-priced (as was the 2080S) so at least here this feels like better value for money.

The 3090 is also really impressive. I could never justify spending that but it makes me want to consider a £1000 (rumoured) 3080Ti. A Titan grade GPU with £1000 off though? Very impressive.

My guess is the 20GB of RAM is in relation to potentially dipping the toe into 8k. There's also the "do it all" approach for Octane Rendering etc that would come into play.

I can't help but feel really excited after that video. I can sense a whole new Zen3 with 3080Ti in my future somehow!