Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Yeah that seems about right. I had heard the 31st of Aug (the Monday) but knew it would be around then.

Staggered release is par for the course now. They want the big money items to fly off the shelves first before tempting with the lower tier cards. Eeks out those extra few sales with those who don't want to wait :D

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
What I find interesting was the last sentence of the article above where they mention that NVIDIA have discontinued production of the 2080S and Ti and are stopping the 2070S. I know they need stock to dwindle down but seems a bit early for the 2070S

They will likely be basing it off of a few things....

The stock they currently have
The sales they expect
The additional sales they expect of 3000 cards when the 2000 cards dry up.

It's clever business, remove the supply of one product to increase the demand of the next :D

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Yeah, when I got my recent build I was expecting a Zotac or Palit 2070S after doing my research on the forum. Imagine my surprise when a Gainward was poking out of it. Wonder how long it’ll be before PCS see their stock dwindle?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
It was the big'un!
IMG_2286.jpg

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
..... (unless they are hoping people would just go for the 3080 instead I suppose?)

Now you're getting it ;)

Sales and marketing is a complete mind....insert expletive .... nowadays. It's all psychology and politics.

When it comes to stock being an issue they will play dumb, but they most certainly aren't. Everything is planned with pinpoint accuracy. The only catch is when the margins run so fine and something goes wrong, that's when you see them properly sweating.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
You knocked it off there, that's said to be one of the best believe it or not :)

Yeah, I couldn't believe it! I'd have been totally happy with the Zotac Mini but my eyes bulged when I saw that. Only problem will be getting it out when it's time to upgrade to a 3000 series. It's very snug up against the radiator.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
With the NVidia 2000 series released they still had loads of stocks of the 1000 series in the wild, so many in fact that they were still in shops for at least a year after release of the 2000’s. They’ll be wanting to avoid that this time.

As @Scott says though, this is all meticulously planned. Except for the official pricing which is literally made up as Jensen is announcing it on stage, he literally makes up a figure there and then to try to beat AMD.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Unofficial leak is the the first card to be released is a RTX 3090, scroll to 3:13. Might just be duff news but thought I'd share

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
I think what they mean there is that the 3090 will be the top tier card, not the first to be released.

The 3080 and 3080ti are set to be the first released on 9th September:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/08/10/nvidia-ampere-rtx-3000-everything-we-know-so-far/

Usually the top tier card comes about a year later.
I thought that would be the case, they do go on to say that they didnt know if there would be a Titan card this time around or the 3090 would be the top spec or not.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Rumours today that 3000 cards (and AMD equivalent will be PCIe 4 and will actually have enough bandwidth that they will saturate PCIe 3 which I don’t think anyone saw coming!

Intels upcoming boards will have PCIe 4, but they don’t have any compatible chips as yet with Rocket Lake being so far behind schedule, so that’s going to mess them up even further.

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm guessing this is going to be the "3090" that's going to saturate Gen3? That's quite a feat to be honest!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm guessing this is going to be the "3090" that's going to saturate Gen3? That's quite a feat to be honest!
Yeah, I think so. They’re estimating over 1Tb/s memory bandwidth which is just insane! I think the 3090 is expected to have 24Gb VRAM also... damn monster card!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Yeah, I think so. They’re estimating over 1Tb/s memory bandwidth which is just insane! I think the 3090 is expected to have 24Gb VRAM also... damn monster card!

Strange route for a gaming card. I wonder if they're going down the 3950X "Do it all" route haha.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Strange route for a gaming card. I wonder if they're going down the 3950X "Do it all" route haha.
I don't think the 3090 is a gaming card, it's basically new naming for the Titan, more aimed at rendering workloads.

But the 3080 and 3080ti also look monster.

But it's all rumours at the moment, everything needs to be taken with a little salt.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Would definitely make more sense but I had heard the Ti is going to be 20GB of RAM, so really getting on there too.

If that's true though that's a significant indication of decent FPS on 4k!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Would definitely make more sense but I had heard the Ti is going to be 20GB of RAM, so really getting on there too.

If that's true though that's a significant indication of decent FPS on 4k!
Yes, that's what that video states too, the 3080ti being 20Gb.

Think 4k is definitely fully achievable this time, no doubt. The Samsung G9 is looking even more suitable!