NVidia buying Arm?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
At this level my guess is that there's a way around any such laws. There isn't really a lot that gets in the way of a $40 billion transaction.

Interesting move though, especially when you consider the influence that it will bring them if it goes through. There can't be a lot of major manufacturers that don't use ARM now, at least in mobile solutions. Are Apple not moving away from Intel too? They will likely need a couple of licenses I imagine.

I wonder what this would bring to mobile gaming :unsure:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
At this level my guess is that there's a way around any such laws. There isn't really a lot that gets in the way of a $40 billion transaction.

Interesting move though, especially when you consider the influence that it will bring them if it goes through. There can't be a lot of major manufacturers that don't use ARM now, at least in mobile solutions. Are Apple not moving away from Intel too? They will likely need a couple of licenses I imagine.

I wonder what this would bring to mobile gaming :unsure:
Yes, exactly, Apple are moving to ARM, and their relationship with nVidia is dire as in they won't even communicate with them, so that would be interesting.

Apple are moving to "Apple Silicon" which is ARM based, they're expecting to have new devices out by the end of this year, perhaps a MacBook and maybe even the 13" MacBook Pro.

Then as you say, consider all the mobile devices, Qualcom SnapDragons are ARM chips and in 90% of Android handsets of varying quality levels, then the rest of them are served by MedaTek APU's which are again all ARM based.

Even the newest most powerful Fujitsu supercomputer, Fugaku, is ARM based:

This would really corner the market for nVidia, likely surpass Intel in market impregnation.

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
IMO anything that challenges Apple is a good thing.
Agreed, although would probably add . . . with an AK47 and a large bucket of hand grenades.

I always think it strange and sad that Bill Gates gets so much flak and that Steve Jobs is often seen as a good guy. I have a lot of respect for Gates, even if a lot of Microsoft's business methods were dubious and XP was probably one of the best OS there has been. I also think that a lot of the nasty business was down to Steven Balmer. Apple on other hand has always been shut down, elitist and designed to make things as difficult and expensive as possible so when you need to get your already over-priced item fixed you have to spend even more at a designated place, possibly not even in your country.

Look at it this way. PCS have an open case policy, most computer sellers are closed case and Apple are not only closed case but guarded by former KGB staff.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I always find it funny that Apple are seen as elitist. That's purely down to marketing and pricing as the restrictions in place with most of the Apple software means that elitists don't actually use it as it's so restrictive. Literally the only thing I ever found Apple beneficial for was video editing as their software was slick. I believe they are also excellent for audio work but I've never really dipped my toe in that section personally, not since the days of OctaMED Pro on the Amiga haha.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I always find it funny that Apple are seen as elitist. That's purely down to marketing and pricing as the restrictions in place with most of the Apple software means that elitists don't actually use it as it's so restrictive. Literally the only thing I ever found Apple beneficial for was video editing as their software was slick. I believe they are also excellent for audio work but I've never really dipped my toe in that section personally, not since the days of OctaMED Pro on the Amiga haha.
The only area in audio they still remain relevant is with Logic ProX which most DJs use, but because of the poor reliability of Mac hardware over the past 7 years or so, and the fact they’ve moved away from actual “pro” hardware specs to appeal to “elitist” consumers, even that market has massively dwindled.

Most people I know who used logic are now jumping to PC on Ableton Live which is very much equal if not better now than Logic.

There are new offerings as well like Reaper on Linux or windows which are fast stealing a lot of mac users.

And Ballmer was just a travesty, I don’t know how he remained so senior for so long!

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
Apple was better for Audio for a while but as soon as the low latency Linux distros were about that was it. Ardour, which is cross platform, is one of the best DAWs out there

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Apple was better for Audio for a while but as soon as the low latency Linux distros were about that was it. Ardour, which is cross platform, is one of the best DAWs out there
I still need to investigate ardour, what distro would you suggest to trial it?

Last edited:

Gavras

Master Poster
Yes, exactly, Apple are moving to ARM, and their relationship with nVidia is dire as in they won't even communicate with them, so that would be interesting.

Apple are moving to "Apple Silicon" which is ARM based, they're expecting to have new devices out by the end of this year, perhaps a MacBook and maybe even the 13" MacBook Pro.

Then as you say, consider all the mobile devices, Qualcom SnapDragons are ARM chips and in 90% of Android handsets of varying quality levels, then the rest of them are served by MedaTek APU's which are again all ARM based.

Even the newest most powerful Fujitsu supercomputer, Fugaku, is ARM based:

This would really corner the market for nVidia, likely surpass Intel in market impregnation.

Tbh it’s not really a surprise, Apple and Acorn are sort of the parents of ARM.

if anything, it’s surprising it took so long, Mid / late 1980’s would have been a bargain.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This used to be very good and you have the choice of what software to install with the distro so no need to download a ton of unwanted stuff: https://ubuntustudio.org/

KXStudio used to be very good but is now dormant and not sure what is happening with it.
Just installing now, so far it’s a breeze, very convenient! Linux really has come extremely far in the last 5 years, really good to see.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
IMO anything that challenges Apple is a good thing.
I have never gotten my head around why people rave about Crapple. Always found their stuff overpriced and restrictive, owned an ipod purely because a previous car had the Apple doodah in the glove box as a factory option (BMW for you), instead of a CD player/multi disc thingy.

They are obviously doing something right, power of the fanboys and girls I guess! Selling new products that look the same as the previous model, dont seem to do anything new but the (insert expletive of choice) idiots hand over hundreds/thousands of pounds for the privilege. Guess in hindsight i should've got Apple shares all those years ago!

Stephen M

Author Level
The Ardour which comes with install may not be the latest, although for just trying it out it it will be fine.

Most 'nix distros install better these days. I find Manjaro is quicker and simpler than Ubuntu now, although the various 'buntu flavours may vary. Unfortunately there is a bit of infighting at Canonical at the moment which is not helping Ubuntu.

Gavras

Master Poster
I have never gotten my head around why people rave about Crapple. Always found their stuff overpriced and restrictive, owned an ipod purely because a previous car had the Apple doodah in the glove box as a factory option (BMW for you), instead of a CD player/multi disc thingy.

They are obviously doing something right, power of the fanboys and girls I guess! Selling new products that look the same as the previous model, dont seem to do anything new but the (insert expletive of choice) idiots hand over hundreds/thousands of pounds for the privilege. Guess in hindsight i should've got Apple shares all those years ago!

it’s things like the first Macs (and mouse if I remember correctly), the Mac air which started slim laptops (I think the iMac 27 is still the best for graphics design), the IPods, the IPhone, the App Store, even things like iPads and ear bud things.

Are things a bit repetitive with tech, yes, however the above pretty much changed how we use and interact with tech.

They are also one of the few with an eco system of sorts, also one of the few to push cloud storage about 10 years ago.

the thing is, which other company is going to provide that innovation?

Microsoft? Samsung?

Not sure it’s fan boy type of thing, yes for mobile phones but the android v iOS v whatever other flavour of mobile OS is going round, is pretty much the area of morons / low intellect and one of the most tedious conversations going.

not really in to one company or the other, however I think a Samsung S20 is on par with an IPhone price wise.

They may have semi repetitive product lines, however there is no knocking Apples innovation through the years.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
They may have semi repetitive product lines, however there is no knocking Apples innovation through the years.
Apple of old, I would agree, but not since Jobs died. Apple silicon will be the make or break of them going forward, they NEED to reduce cost or seriously up performance because the current offerings under Intel are just miles behind anything you can get on PC with AMD and Nvidia graphics, there’s just no comparison.

I say this as a huge fan of Apple, I’ve got an old 2010 MacBook Pro which I still use for audio, I’ve got an iPhone and an iPad and love them.

But I never just concentrate on one manufacturer or ecosystem, I have no problem swapping over and have apps libraries on each platform be it android, OSX, MacOS or windows.

In the phone and tablet realm, keep an eye out on Microsoft Surface, the surface Duo and Neo are looking like extremely promising business devices.

Gavras

Master Poster
Apple of old, I would agree, but not since Jobs died. Apple silicon will be the make or break of them going forward, they NEED to reduce cost or seriously up performance because the current offerings under Intel are just miles behind anything you can get on PC with AMD and Nvidia graphics, there’s just no comparison.

I say this as a huge fan of Apple, I’ve got an old 2010 MacBook Pro which I still use for audio, I’ve got an iPhone and an iPad and love them.

But I never just concentrate on one manufacturer or ecosystem, I have no problem swapping over and have apps libraries on each platform be it android, OSX, MacOS or windows.

In the phone and tablet realm, keep an eye out on Microsoft Surface, the surface Duo and Neo are looking like extremely promising business devices.

agree on the Silicon side of things.

the Duo will need to be able to lock open or it will fail as a business device, writing on a half open note book with a pen is best analog.

i think we are down to trial it, app support and security will also be very important if it wants to become a business device.

I would hazard a guess it will be great with O365 lol.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
i think we are down to trial it, app support and security will also be very important if it wants to become a business device.
OMG, do you have any idea when you're getting the units? Guess it won't be until next year? I'm going to get a Duo, I have no doubt it will be buggy for a while, this is really a beta device to test the market, but I can see it's application being extremely useful. The Neo as well I'm very excited about.

I also thought I would add something to my previous Apple statement about lack of innovation.... I think it's been their intention NOT to innovate in the PC space.... personally I think it's largely down to Intel holding them back in that segment, they've likely not been able to innovate perhaps in the methods they have with IOS devices (which have moved on quite significantly).

I'm very optimistic about Apple Silicon, I think they have the scope to do something special there. There's no doubt the mobile chips they've designed are quite superb, I think it's safe to say they're leaps ahead of Qualcom and MediaTek, especially in the graphics department.

Gavras

Master Poster
OMG, do you have any idea when you're getting the units? Guess it won't be until next year? I'm going to get a Duo, I have no doubt it will be buggy for a while, this is really a beta device to test the market, but I can see it's application being extremely useful. The Neo as well I'm very excited about.

I also thought I would add something to my previous Apple statement about lack of innovation.... I think it's been their intention NOT to innovate in the PC space.... personally I think it's largely down to Intel holding them back in that segment, they've likely not been able to innovate perhaps in the methods they have with IOS devices (which have moved on quite significantly).

I'm very optimistic about Apple Silicon, I think they have the scope to do something special there. There's no doubt the mobile chips they've designed are quite superb, I think it's safe to say they're leaps ahead of Qualcom and MediaTek, especially in the graphics department.

also IPad Pro and IPad are completely different beasts.

i went from an iPad 2011 10” to an iPad Pro 11” 2020.

At last can use external storage, multi screen stuff,

even just note taking (written ones) is a major change.

We also have a surface which is not bad to be fair.