NVidia confirms power requirements for 3090ti

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, lets get this straight, this is for the Founders Edition, remember, partner cards, especially from the likes of EVGA will undoubtedly require more.

The power usage of the FE 3090ti will be......

Are we ready????

480 WATTS!!!

That's 3 x 8pins delivering 150W each then the remainder allowance taken from the PCIe lane which is 70W Max.

So that's very nearly already maxxing out the full availability of 520W.

But our conservative general recommendation of 850W is now gone. We're looking at a basic requirement of 1000W, even 1200W for comfort.

I sincerely hope they back down off this with the 4000 series, news coming out is that they are in fact moving to 5nm process, so it SHOULD reduce the power envelope.

barlew

Godlike
So, lets get this straight, this is for the Founders Edition, remember, partner cards, especially from the likes of EVGA will undoubtedly require more.

The power usage of the FE 3090ti will be......

Are we ready????

480 WATTS!!!

That's 3 x 8pins delivering 150W each then the remainder allowance taken from the PCIe lane which is 70W Max.

So that's very nearly already maxxing out the full availability of 520W.

But our conservative general recommendation of 850W is now gone. We're looking at a basic requirement of 1000W, even 1200W for comfort.

I sincerely hope they back down off this with the 4000 series, news coming out is that they are in fact moving to 5nm process, so it SHOULD reduce the power envelope.

Hahahaha that is absolutely ridiculous! They cannot continue this way. Surely 4000 series are going to have to back right back.
Although lets face it at this point Nvidia are all about the crypto miners and could not care less about any other use case so maybe they wont?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hahahaha that is absolutely ridiculous! The cannot continue this way. Surely 4000 series are going to have to back right back.
Although lets face it at this point Nvidia are all about the crypto miners and could not care less about any other use case so maybe they wont?
NVidia are generally pulling some really strange moves since RTX came around, they can't continue on this way, they've already got some major lawsuits against them for price fixing.

In this climate with green initiatives and government statutes around the world tying down on things like this, I just can't see how then can keep this up. I wouldn't be surprised if US and EU governments step in and force a mandate.

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
480 WATTS!!!
Me and my double PSU at 280 :
bring-it-on-kuzco.gif

I know where the exit is, don't worry XD

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I just had a thought, and it's a bit out there but worth thinking about.

We know that AMD are partnered heavily with Samsung on the new Exynos SOC with integrated RDNA2 graphics, targetted at Samsungs upcoming foldable range:

We all know the success of Apples M1 Pro SOC in which graphics performance when you factor in scalability (piling on M1 Pro chip on top of each other) is groundbreaking in the Mac range with the first Mac Pro suspected to be introduced around Q4:

We already know Intel are about to release their first embedded chips with Arc graphics:

This does beg the question. Are dedicated GPU's going to be relegated to the Datacenter perhaps.

Are we at a point where integration within a System On Chip is so viable while keeping performance, lowering development costs, lowering production costs and massively improving power requirements.

Perhaps NVidia are running scared at these new developments. They don't have a CPU partner to piggyback off of. Perhaps that was their plan with the purchase of ARM, but by all accounts, that's likely not to go through due to anticompetitive arguments from almost all ARM customers as well as governing bodies in US and EU. NVidia is not used to partnering with others, their practice is to buy them out and assume control.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
In this climate with green initiatives and government statutes around the world tying down on things like this, I just can't see how then can keep this up. I wouldn't be surprised if US and EU governments step in and force a mandate.
The US/EU will probably ban them if they do end up that power hungry, meaning UK will be one of the few places able to buy 'em!

Then again, many will end up mining in Siberia or wherever as has been said, so meh!

CMP01

Enthusiast
The US/EU will probably ban them if they do end up that power hungry, meaning UK will be one of the few places able to buy 'em!

Then again, many will end up mining in Siberia or wherever as has been said, so meh!

I can see Siberia being one of the places where ambient temps might help keep the heat down on RTX 40xx mining concerns. Then again, would the power infrastructure be able to keep up?

As for the more casual miners, I look forward to seeing news reports of erroneous police raids on grow houses due to sus power draw and heat signatures...

Looks like Nvidia are feeling the heat (lol) with AMD breathing down their neck. It is what it is but let's hope that Nvidia put enough VRAM on higher models of 40xx to last the years needed to recover financially for a future upgrade, especially given what the new idea of MSRP looks like being and that the scalpers and their reasons aren't going to quit anytime soon... and so they don't need to further complicate things with significantly pricier, moderately higher VRAM'd rehashes after only a year...