Nvidia Display driver has stopped working and has revovered

T

TheGeeza

I have just built a new PC and during games and sometimes while on the desktop the PC will freeze, the screen will go black and it will come back on saying "nvidia display driver has stopped working and has recovered". It used to cut power completely while in games and I have recently sent it back to scan.co.uk for testing and they replaced the faulty power supply which was the original fault but this does not appear to have solved the driver problem. They did not notice this problem while they were testing it so i assume it is a software problem .I have done a clean install of the drivers and that has not solved anything. Any help would be very much appreciated :)
Specs:
Intel CPU i5-4670K 3.4GHz Socket 1150 Quad Core
ASUS GTX 680 Direct CUII
MSI Z87-G43 GAMING Motherboard Intel Socket 1150
Corsair CXM Builder series 750w modular power supply
Corsair low profile dual channel 1600mhz 8gb single stick RAM

Last edited by a moderator:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I had a similar issue with a faulty gpu, have you try contacting their technical support to diagnose the problem?

T

TheGeeza

Not yet. I have tried contacting there customer support but they just tell me to talk to the manufacturer. It's actually a friend's PC and he has just got it back after they diagnosed the faulty power supply. I noticed that when the screen went black a small red led flashed somewhere inside the PC. It hasn't flashed since though.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Not yet. I have tried contacting there customer support but they just tell me to talk to the manufacturer. It's actually a friend's PC and he has just got it back after they diagnosed the faulty power supply. I noticed that when the screen went black a small red led flashed somewhere inside the PC. It hasn't flashed since though.

I would tell your friend to contact their customer support, if it is under warranty they should get it sorted for him.

T

TheGeeza

I'll tell him. I'm just about to test my old 580 in the PC to see if I get the same problem. Thanks for the help :)

T

TheGeeza

Hi, turned out it was geforce experience that was causing the problems . Thanks for the help :)

Androcles

Rising Star
Yeah, i'm glad i stopped using nvidia cards, g-force experience seems reallyg buggy the few times i've used it on various machines, they need to do a bit mmore QA and fix it asap.

T

TheGeeza

It is rather unusual. My 770s run perfectly fine while using geforce experience. Perhaps it's just a problem with the 680s.

T

TheGeeza

The drivers for the 770 on release sucked but I guess that's to be expected. I have 2 in sli at the moment and I'm kinda annoyed that I didn't wait for the 290x. Still , can't moan. These cards are awesome and overclock exceptionally well.

DarthBane

Bronze Level Poster
I had this with an Alienware m17x R4, Dell replaced the graphics card, A GTX 680M, then the mobo, the only thing that fixed it for me was a complete new install of win 7.

baron75mk2

Banned
I recently had this very issue myself , did some digging & it seems the latest 2 drivers from nvidia have these issue with factory overclocked cards , the best thing is to upgrade to the lates beta drivers (V 331.40) this cured the issue for me , althogh you have to completely remove all traces of the other drivers first , performing clean install wont cut it im afraid , nvidia leavs stuff all over the pc believe me , i spent hours getting it all out.

Strangely though mine only did it when connected to the internet , cant explane that at all , initially considered i had some kind of virus that atttacked the gpu drivers , as in afterburner you would see big lumps of 100% gpu usage doing nothing more than sitting on the desktop.

But once i got all the rubbish that nvidia left behind of the other drivers & installed the new betas the problem has not returned at all .

T

TheGeeza

Interesting. I will try this if the problem arises again, thanks :) +rep

T

TheGeeza

Hi, geforce experience turned out to be causing the problems with the 680. It is performing well now after doing a clean install without geforce experience installed.