Nvidia gtx 280

Jasper

I have an outstanding quote for a complete Desk Top PC with you.
I7-880 quad core, Windows 7 etc.
I'm happy with the spec so far.

The thing is that I want the GTX 280 which is better than any of the 400 series.

Can you do this?

Sleinous

Author Level
I presume you mean, better at a specific task, for e.g. folding@home. (Which it still isnt) Only the 295 beats the 480 I think from what I read. The 280 will always be beaten by the 480 i'm afraid.

Last edited:

Maestro

No, the gtx 280 went end of life long ago and is no longer manufactured. It was first superseeded by the gtx 285 and now the gtx 480.
I can also safely say that the gtx 480 is superior in many ways to the gtx 280, not least because of direct x 11 and cuda.

Shibin

Enthusiast
It isnt better than all of the 400 series,you should check out review and you will be proved wrong. For example the "mid-range" gtx 465 matches the gtx 280 easily,is quiter,lower temps,direct x11,lower noise,lower power consuption. Just think about everything before you say. :D. Anyway check up on reviews and most likely you will be proved wrong..a gtx 280 is around 200 whereas a gtx 465 which is around 175 would beat the 280 easily. Am not sure of pc spec prices but am quoting average prices. But if ur an extreme fanboy i guess you could get pc spec get the 280.

Good luck dude

Gorman

Author Level
the 295 beats the 480 I think from what I read. The 280 will always be beaten by the 480 i'm afraid.

No, the gtx 280 went end of life long ago and is no longer manufactured. It was first superseeded by the gtx 285 and now the gtx 480.
I can also safely say that the gtx 480 is superior in many ways to the gtx 280, not least because of direct x 11 and cuda.

It isnt better than all of the 400 series,you should check out review and you will be proved wrong. For example the "mid-range" gtx 465 matches the gtx 280 easily,is quiter,lower temps,direct x11,lower noise,lower power consuption. Just think about everything before you say. :D. Anyway check up on reviews and most likely you will be proved wrong..a gtx 280 is around 200 whereas a gtx 465 which is around 175 would beat the 280 easily. Am not sure of pc spec prices but am quoting average prices. But if ur an extreme fanboy i guess you could get pc spec get the 280.

Good luck dude

400 series fermi are also alot smaller than the massive 200 series

Im not sure where you have read about this, but im afraid you have been misinformed.

For all of the reasons above and many more the 460/465/470 and 480 beat the GTX 280 hands down. I have owned a GTX 280 and GTX 480, there really is no comparison between the two.

The GTX 280 was even beaten by the 285 several months after release.

the 295 beats the 480 I think from what I read.

The 295 may beat the 480 in some DX9/10 tests as it is a dual GPU card, lets run a DX11 test and see which wins :p

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
I meant in folding Gorman :) Apparently the 295 beats the 480 at folding still. But the best bang for buck folding GPU for a farm is the 9800GX2

Gishank

Bright Spark
I haven't seen the GTX285 or GTX295 for sale anywhere in the past month or so, I assumed they were discontinued and no longer manufactured due to the 4xx's. I can safely say that whilst my GTX285 is a great card if I had the choice between buying the GTX285 and GTX480 new, I'd choose the 480 as it's pretty much superior in every way.

Gorman

Author Level
All the 280's/285's have been snapped up by ATI owners looking for some dedicated Physx goodness.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
The GTX295 is still the best card for folding with (in terms of points per day) but as others have said it's better to go with the GTX480 which is still better than the GTX280 for folding and other things.

Shibin

Enthusiast
I agree completely with sleinious last post :D. Also about cards getting costly as they are discountinued..why do we tell people to get a bigger power supply then make a sli/corssifre config as the card wil be cheaper. Because what you said just goes againest that thoery :/. Also can you have a ati card and a nvidia card in at the same time?...so quad crossfire and 1 nvidia card for physx?

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
You can run ATI cards with an Nvidia card used for Physics unofficially through a work around but it may be patched and stopped eventually because Nvidia aren’t very nice people :(

Sleinous

Author Level
I agree completely with sleinious last post :D. Also about cards getting costly as they are discountinued..why do we tell people to get a bigger power supply then make a sli/corssifre config as the card wil be cheaper. Because what you said just goes againest that thoery :/. Also can you have a ati card and a nvidia card in at the same time?...so quad crossfire and 1 nvidia card for physx?

You dont leave it longer than a year, or a few months after being officially discontinued. That's how =]

Jasper

Not the GTX 280 then

Thanks for all the help here so far . Need some more :D
I will really appreciate any advice on any of the spec's, especially those in Bold

Intel® Core™i7-880 Quad Core (3.06GHz, 8MB Cache) + Turbo Boost

Motherboard
ASUS® P7P55 LX: USB 2.0 & SATA 3.0Gb/s, CrossFireX™ SUPPORT
16GB RAM capable according to research (8 x 2GB)
HELP! There are better boards with USB 3 but my peripherals are USB 2. Is USB 3 backwards compatible to USB 2 ?)

RAM 4GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BLU DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 2GB KIT)

Graphics Card
1280MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX470 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
(I wanted the GTX480. But it's another £300 (UK))

750GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm).
(I'm only using 107GB of a 300GB drive with Vista 32 bit DOS now. That’s with all the HL2 games + all the classic mods + SDK + UDK)

24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER)

USB
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
(I only use 4 @ back panel and 1 of the 2 @ front panel occasionally)

CORSAIR 650W PSU (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET
(I only need 491W max for this set-up but 650W feels more comfy)

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO
HELP! Do I need a Sound Blaster of some sort.
Computer use is business + SP FPS games only - but there's nothing quite like the dying screams of Striders and Hunters.
No music or other stuff, just sound effects.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
1. The RAM capability would be 4 x 4GB. It doesn't have 8 RAM slots.

2. USB is backwards compatible with USB 2.0/1.1.

3. Creative X-Fi soundcards are better for special effects, such as surround sound in gaming, but onboard is generally very good these days. If you want only the best, choose the X-Fi, otherwise the onboard will be absolutely fine.