nVidia GTX 460 released on Monday

Maestro

The latest GPU from the nVidia Fermi stable is released on Monday. It looks like it sits somewhere between the vary succesfull HD 5770 and the HD 5830 and will be roughly £140. Any views from the ATI and nVidia camps.

PaulH

Bright Spark
Ill reserve my judgement but if it follows the same line as other recent releases, they will be struggling.

Gorman

Author Level
Ill reserve my judgement but if it follows the same line as other recent releases, they will be struggling.

You mean the line of releasing very popular and powerful cards i guess.

Fermi isnt struggling, its pure class and this looks like a good budget card that will perform as such.

Honestly, where are you getting that Nvidia are struggling? oh, apart from.....

com-fanboy-anatomy.jpg

Gorman

Author Level
10527724.jpg

73855142.jpg

Of course theres not a lot of legit sources out there at the minute. Will have to wait until we get some in. From what i can gather this card looks to be a great deal if it really comes in about £140.

Its the DX11 260!

PaulH

Bright Spark
How did i know youd compare it to the 5830, i know because thats what Nvidia compare it to!.....its costs the same as the 5850 - Fermi are VERY good cards, but they are overpriced, the 465 costs the same as a 5850...which in 90% of benchmarks beats the 465...Im not saying they are bad cards, but even the 465s heat and power consumption are ABOVE a 5870 let alone a 5850.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_gtx465/

And i quote "Pricing isn't helping. Currently at retail for £240 this is the equivalent of a HD5850, hence todays comparitive tests. Clearly it's just not up to that level of performance. If you want a budget card your money is much better spent on a HD5770, or even two for this money. If you want to overclock, go HD5850. If you need the extra features such as CUDA, you really would be better off just investing in a better CPU."

Like I said im even considering the Fermi as a next card, but untill the heat / power consumption and price drop dramatically, there just not in the same league - Fanboy vs Fanboy :) - PS the 465 has dropped around £50 off its retail price now....making it the same price as a 5850 :)

p.s your benchies are done in dx9/10 not 11

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
How did i know youd compare it to the 5830, i know because thats what Nvidia compare it to!

Come now, its a linked review. You might see it being compared to a 5830, as you have your blinkers on. I see it being compared to a 260 275 and 465. You can ignore the 5830 in the graph, most gamers do.

but they are overpriced

the 460 is at the exact same price point as the 260. £130-160 overpriced for you, maybe, where you getting £240 from. your talking about the 465?

heat / power consumption

are you seriously going to flog this horse? seriously?

Since day 1 of my first IBM based "pc" all i have ever wanted was to cram more stuff into it. MOOarrr POwUrrrr, etc.

Now after 20-odd years of bigger and better out of nowhere theres this whole bandwagon of tree huggers saying that components are too power hungry?

get a grip. me and my 1000w PSU laugh in your face.

I would happily burn trees if it got me 10 more fps and i dont think im alone. Its too hot and or power hungry is irrelevant nonsense, it runs at 40C on load in my rig.

p.s your benchies are done in dx9/10 not 11

Not my benchies, and to be honest when i bench this thing and run all the DX11 tests we have on it, the red camp will just cry when it owns on tesselation.

Lets just bench the thing and see eh?

Im saying its going to be a sweet as 260 ish level card with DX11 at an awesome price.

-CUDA
-PHYSX
-TESSELATION
-DRIVERS
/THREAD

Gorman

Author Level
It has been brought to my attention that this thread may be interpreted as having fallen into a flame war and as such innapropriate.

i hope that any visitors to our forums will understand that some of us here at PCS can and will be quite passionate about our tech as its not just a day job for us, real life geeks here.

Finally i would like to point out that a thread hasnt officially fallen into a flame war unless someone posts this image:

4789723568_61ff3b6b31.jpg

PaulH

Bright Spark
And judging by the reviews, i now need to eat my hat, in fact, so much so, im having one of these :)

One sat on my desk, need a new PSU then im having 2 of the little buggers :)

Last edited:

PaulH

Bright Spark
They have, benchmarks coming up soon :) - lovely card and has overclocked stable from 650mhz core to 830mhz and Mem clock from 1400 to 2100 - scary nice o/c that without even trying and no extra volts, that also runs at 35oc on idle and 52 under full load, im pretty sure with extra volts this thing would go much higher, its well within its thermal limits. Metro 2033 runs like a dream on 1920 x 1200 on very high settings, a little lag every now and then but very nice :)

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
Any idea when you guys will have the 1gb vesion available to add to a spec? I had made my mind up about the GC I was going for which was a 5850 but these 460's are looking good! Do want the 1gb version though....

Tabasco

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for that mate. I'll be ordering early Aug so fingers crossed there will be stock when I do...