Nvidia Optimus Problem

MrShteeeve

Just a slight problem, I have read the manual, and read a few posts on here about it, and i know the VGA button i supposed to change colour when you press it for different buttons, but heres the thing, ive pressed it, long pressed it and nothing happens at all, it's stayed orange since i've gotten the laptop :/. Any ideas???

Greenman

Enthusiast
Do you have the latest drivers?
What happens when you run something graphics intensive like a game? (Should be able to tell which GPU it's using via performance)

I've never encountered optimus tech before, but right click an empty space on your desktop. I think you can bring up some sort of optimus control panel from there, where I believe you can switch it manually and just generally get more info.

MrShteeeve

Ive found that yeah when playing FFXIV it uses the nvidia GPU but sometimes it constantly switches between the two and it's pretty annoying. Not all games can be changed via the control panel but im slowly working around the little problems, also im curious as to where i get updated drivers from, the ones from the nvidia website dont work as theyre not compatible or something, the only graphics driver i have is on the initial driver disc :/.

Skylinefx

Bronze Level Poster
Just a slight problem, I have read the manual, and read a few posts on here about it, and i know the VGA button i supposed to change colour when you press it for different buttons, but heres the thing, ive pressed it, long pressed it and nothing happens at all, it's stayed orange since i've gotten the laptop :/. Any ideas???

Exactly the same here. The VGA button is always orange and does nothing when pressed. It's supposed to disable/enable the 555M as far as I know... I also cannot seem to install the 270 driver because it cant find compatible hardware. All games I've tried recognize the 555M ,work fine and doesn't constantly switch between the two cards...

MrShteeeve

Well I've find out that if you install the hotkey AP driver from the driver disc supplied, that will enable to use of the vga adapter, and it does turn green and switch to intel only etc. as for games, like FFXIV it does recognise the card and works fine, (although had a little directx problem for a while). Windows doesnt recognise the 555m in WEI but does state at the bottom if there are second gpu's then games and software will benefit from a perfomance boost. Im still having the same problem of locating a source for updated drivers regaurding the 555m as like you said, the newest release doesnt state its compatible when trying to install. Hopefully someone frm PCS or just someone with some general knowledge will be able to help us here! :)

Urtha

Hi all,

I received the optimus 2 yesterday. I have uploaded all the updates recommended (including the on-board card) and the intel graphics seem to operate at low level (browser, BBC iPlayer, DLing steam data) but switches to the nVidia card as required...

I have tried switching between the cards using the VGA button (while downloading much data), but it doesn't switch. It also stays on the nVidia card even if I try to switch during a game.

Hope this helps in the fault-finding process....

Last edited:

Skylinefx

Bronze Level Poster
I checked the notebookcheck website and it says...

To save power, the card supports Optimus to automatically switch between the integrated graphics card from Intel and the Nvidia GPU. However, the laptop manufacturers need to implement it and it cannot be upgraded.

So does that mean that we cannot update the 555M?
Maybe PCS could 'customise' the update from Nvidia for it to work on the Optimus II and give it to us?

MrShteeeve

Any Info that could shed light on this matter would be greatly appreciated, so if any mods could chip in it would be a great help. The only place i found any compatible drivers was the clevco website, but they're the same drivers as i have already :/

MrShteeeve

I've been trying to get onto LiveChat, but everytime i've tried (in excess of 8 times now) it's just timed out. I'll try giving a mod a PM and hope that they can shed some light as I've exhausted everything (tried uninstalling driver and deleting it, then trying to force the original nvidia driver onto it). Wish me luck! +rep for more constructive posts than mods lol :p

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
It is a specific driver, i will get some more info when i am in Tuesday morning.

Sorry for missing this thread guys

MrShteeeve

Thanks Gorman. Have downloaded and installed, I presume from now on that's where I need to go to get GPU Driver updates then? Just have a funny feeling they may not be updated regularly :(. Is there any particular reason they have to be specific to that website?

Gorman

Author Level
I can only presume that it is a case of Clevo having to tailor the drivers that nvidia release. I will ask around for other sources too.